Vivendi Begins Hostile Takeover Of Gameloft, Ubisoft Next

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Vivendi, which once owned Activision Blizzard, has reportedly won over enough shareholders to take over Gameloft. If that happens, Ubisoft, with its much higher market value, is presumed to be next.

A resolution of the fight at Gameloft, maker of “Order & Chaos” and “Dungeon Hunter,” would clear the way for a bigger battle over Ubisoft Entertainment, the creator of “Assassin’s Creed,” also run by the Guillemots. Vivendi owns 17.7 percent of the capital and is seeking board representation there. “A first door has been unlocked with Gameloft,” said Antoine Bonduelle, fund manager at Alma Capital & Associes in Paris. “The focus and the battle are now clearly on Ubisoft.” As of Tuesday, Ubisoft had a market value of 3.57 billion euros, more than five times that of Gameloft.

While, I have little, read as no, none, nada, zip, love for Ubi, and welcome anything that gets rid of their upper management, this would end up being just the same old BS with a different name and face. I am already at the point that I pretty much blow off anything that requires Uplay or Origin. Will not be long b4 all I will be playing are indie titles. Thankfully there are several avenues for buying indies these days.

More BS capitalism at work. Mergers & Acquisitions should be outlawed. Survive on your own or perish. At most allow partnerships, not buyouts. You end up with a soul-less holding company at the top. Knows nothing of games, just wants money.

Companies should stop going public. Once you go public you open your self up to losing your business

Companies should stop going public. Once you go public you open your self up to losing your business

If you founded a company and had the chance at hundreds of millions, you can't tell me that you wouldn't sell it/go public.

If Vivendi pledges to end uPlay and migrate to Steam, I will personally send them a check in the mail to help with the takeover.

Oh you have no idea what Vivendi will do to Ubisoft. You thought EA was bad? Vivendi will destroy you until you are nothing left and kill you off in the blink of an eye. RIP Ubisoft if it happens.

Oh you have no idea what Vivendi will do to Ubisoft. You thought EA was bad? Vivendi will destroy you until you are nothing left and kill you off in the blink of an eye. RIP Ubisoft if it happens.

Ubisoft has already become EA; AAA games with forgettable plots, buggy multiplayer, and insulting microtransactions - to say nothing of retail beta releases and over-rendered announcement trailers - sounds like EA to me.

Ubisoft hasn't made a game in 4 years that I care to play - maybe Vivendi will change that, maybe not; but I doubt it can get much worse than zero attractive games*.

I for one welcome our new Vivendi overlords.

* Far Cry 4 is maybe the only game that might be worth a look, but I refuse to install uplay to see if it is.

Ubisoft has already become EA; AAA games with forgettable plots, buggy multiplayer, and insulting microtransactions - to say nothing of retail beta releases and over-rendered announcement trailers - sounds like EA to me.

Ubisoft hasn't made a game in 4 years that I care to play - maybe Vivendi will change that, maybe not; but I doubt it can get much worse than zero attractive games*.

I for one welcome our new Vivendi overlords.

* Far Cry 4 is maybe the only game that might be worth a look, but I refuse to install uplay to see if it is.
It is...I have uplay for it...

Well, Vivendi isn't any worse than Ubisoft I guess. I just don't buy Ubisoft games at all anymore, so I suppose this doesn't affect me anyway.

pure BS. Vivendi didn't ruin Blizzard

Not the biggest fan of Ubisoft, but I do not wish to see the gaming industry consolidating into a handful of huge publishers only. I hope Vivendi fails in their bid

Back