VIVE XR Elite

The main issue I see with this is, what games/apps will be supported by it? It doesn't have the benefit of the meta store front and apps out of the gate, and the high price tag will mean low adoption.

The hardware on it seems to be aimed at being a Quest Pro competitor, but the inside out tracking at over 1 grand feels like it would hold it back.

Once again, resolution too low. All these "new" headsets under 2kx2k resolution per eye, like this XR Elite and the Quest Pro. Toss them in the river.

The main issue I see with this is, what games/apps will be supported by it? It doesn't have the benefit of the meta store front and apps out of the gate, and the high price tag will mean low adoption.

The hardware on it seems to be aimed at being a Quest Pro competitor, but the inside out tracking at over 1 grand feels like it would hold it back.

Kinda feels like a chineese knockoff of the Quest Pro. Headset looks similar and has similar specs, it has the last gen controllers not the new ones, no face tracking, standalone isn't working yet (may never). But hey, it's $400 cheaper and has a depth sensor. Maybe you can walk down the sidewalk and use it too see through shirts.

Good point, now that I looked at this further and paid more attention to it.. Didn't realize this was one of those all-in-one, similar to the Meta Quest thingamajigs :D

Wife just bought two Quest 2’s… wish I knew about this.

I am a bit cautious of a Vive’s software though.

Also weird there’s only one camera.

Despite hindsight being 20/20 I believe they did not even say anything about it until CES 2023... So I don't think ya could have known. :unsure::sneaky:

Doesn't it cost more than 2 quests 2's combined? Looks like a cool headset though.

I would not feel bad about that at all. I see no reason anyone would get this headset unless they want to use it lying down or have an irrational hate for Meta.

mebe a stupid quesiton, but i thought i would ask. Since vive elite xr is inside out, and not steam light house tracking - can you use knuckles controllers with it? im guessing maybe, but you still have to use base stations for those.

mebe a stupid quesiton, but i thought i would ask. Since vive elite xr is inside out, and not steam light house tracking - can you use knuckles controllers with it? im guessing maybe, but you still have to use base stations for those.

As long as you're using it for PCVR I think you can use any headset with light house tracked controllers and base stations. It's can be a bit of a pain to setup from what I've seen though.

As long as you're using it for PCVR I think you can use any headset with light house tracked controllers and base stations. It's can be a bit of a pain to setup from what I've seen though.
from what i understand the elite xr, is supposed to have gesture tracking, but given the tracking in vive cosmos, im not betting my VR experience on it. Want Knuckles as a back up.

This is getting my interest, will see how the reviews go. One thing I really appreciate with Vive is the quality put into their hardware, durable, tough in general. While not perfect they seem to have well made stuff that is generally comfortable and will last.

This is getting my interest, will see how the reviews go. One thing I really appreciate with Vive is the quality put into their hardware, durable, tough in general. While not perfect they seem to have well made stuff that is generally comfortable and will last.
Idk, I heard the OG Vive is pretty durrable, but the Vive Pro is fragile. You can literally throw a Quest 2 in a dryer and it will be ok. It's basically indestructable, I haven't seen anything like that for any Vive headsets. The XR elite will probably pretty durable but it seems like a pretty silly reason to justify buying it.

Idk, I heard the OG Vive is pretty durrable, but the Vive Pro is fragile. You can literally throw a Quest 2 in a dryer and it will be ok. It's basically indestructable, I haven't seen anything like that for any Vive headsets. The XR elite will probably pretty durable but it seems like a pretty silly reason to justify buying it.
Their elite strap breaking even after a few weeks of use by many seems the opposite of indestructible. Anyways have both Vive Pro and Pro 2, fragile not, those Vive controllers have smacked into walls, ceilings, broke I don't know how many light fixtures and light bulbs, dropped and they still work, none of the buttons or pad has ever failed. Still have the original light houses lol. That has been my experience with the Vive besides them being comfortable compared to other headsets of the time.

Durable, comfortable (especially in VR) are some of the reasons to buy something costing $1000 even if that is silly to you. Still will wait for reviews to see how they perform as well.

Last edited:
Their elite strap breaking even after a few weeks of use by many seems the opposite of indestructible. Anyways have both Vive Pro and Pro 2, fragile not, those Vive controllers have smacked into walls, ceilings, broke I don't know how many light fixtures and light bulbs, dropped and they still work, none of the buttons or pad has ever failed. Still have the original light houses lol. That has been my experience with the Vive besides them being comfortable compared to other headsets of the time.

Durable, comfortable (especially in VR) are some of the reasons to buy something costing $1000 even if that is silly to you. Still will wait for reviews to see how they perform as well.

Comfort I can agree with. Your durability argument sounds like facebook hate copium to me. I highly doubt the XR will be any more durable than it's competitors.

Back