Vive Wireless Adapter Goes on Sale Today

AlphaAtlas

[H]ard|Gawd
Staff member
As promised back in August, VIVE Wireless Adapter pre-orders are open on the Vive site today. HTC claims the swappable battery is good for 2.5 hours of runtime, and that the WiGig wireless display technology keeps latency down. The Vive and Vive Pro versions cost $299 and $369, respectively, which is close to the $300 retail price of the similar TPCast wireless adapter. It'll be interesting to see how HTC's official take on wireless VR stacks up against the TPCast out in the wild.

Remove cables from the equation with the VIVE Wireless Adapter. More easily get friends, family, and the uninitiated in your play space. Break free of always being a one-person team.

just ordered mine for my vive pro

LATE SEPTEMBER shipping..

*SIGH*

but.. that does give me time to look over which RTX card i am going to be getting once they start shipping and we get real reviews.

right now i am just doing limited playing arounds with it, which is still damn fun.

As promised back in August, VIVE Wireless Adapter pre-orders are open on the Vive site today. HTC claims the swappable battery is good for 2.5 hours of runtime, and that the WiGig wireless display technology keeps latency down. The Vive and Vive Pro versions cost $299 and $369, respectively, which is close to the $300 retail price of the similar TPCast wireless adapter. It'll be interesting to see how HTC's official take on wireless VR stacks up against the TPCast out in the wild.

Remove cables from the equation with the VIVE Wireless Adapter. More easily get friends, family, and the uninitiated in your play space. Break free of always being a one-person team.

Rather than dumping $300 into removing a cable, adding a bit of weight to the HMD and having to carry around (and recharge) a battery pack, I'm earmarking the dough for a GPU upgrade and/or a gen 2 VR HMD in a year or so. Losing one cable simply isn't worth $300 to me. (The majority of my VR time is sim chair based, so the cable doesn't really bug me.) I am interested in hearing how well it works though as I'm pretty confident this tech (or the next iteration of it) will be an option planned for most of the Gen 2 VR offerings when they arrive.

Waiting for reviews before pulling the trigger on this one, hopfully a [H]ard review. :) Lots of potential problems but also a killer feature for VR. They should make a package with the pro headset, wireless module, 2.0 base stations and controllers too.

Waiting for reviews before pulling the trigger on this one, hopfully a [H]ard review. :) Lots of potential problems but also a killer feature for VR. They should make a package with the pro headset, wireless module, 2.0 base stations and controllers too.
^This.

I've got 300 bucks earmarked, but not throwing it down without reading an independent review of the shipping product first. That, and I am waiting for warranty repair on one of my controllers.

^This.

I've got 300 bucks earmarked, but not throwing it down without reading an independent review of the shipping product first. That, and I am waiting for warranty repair on one of my controllers.

Same, I really want this but don't want to jump on it quite yet. Would hate to get it and find out the lag or reception makes the experience worse than just having a cable behind my leg.

I'm actually serious. Would it be risky to your health to have this on your head for hours at a time?

Putting on goggles that obscure your view of your surroundings for hours at a time has its own health risks.

Are you fearing the heat generated by the device or the wireless? It functions at 60GHz which has very little penetration, likely a sheet a paper might even be enough to block the signal.

I use my vive but think the longest ive been able to play is about 2 hours. The battery life looks like it is 2.5hrs but I am sure people will buy extra battery packs.

Putting on goggles that obscure your view of your surroundings for hours at a time has its own health risks.

Are you fearing the heat generated by the device or the wireless? It functions at 60GHz which has very little penetration, likely a sheet a paper might even be enough to block the signal.

I use my vive but think the longest ive been able to play is about 2 hours. The battery life looks like it is 2.5hrs but I am sure people will buy extra battery packs.

Yup, pre-ordered mine with the extra battery. The battery lasts about 2 hours, but charges in one. You can swap them out indefinitely, if you so desire.

Ordered mine. Will see how it shakes out and report back. My TPCast had issues, so I'm hoping this works a bit better.

Somehow I think it would just be better to have a belt clipped unit, then atleast the weight wouldn't be on top of your head. The best solution would be LIFI for both power and data transfer, , this comes to mind. I really think this could change VR for the Mainstream.

160818162601-fried-egg-stock-large-tease.jpg

Ordered mine. Will see how it shakes out and report back. My TPCast had issues, so I'm hoping this works a bit better.
My TPCast was hit and miss. Worked great for one second, then worked like ass the next. I did order one of these today as well.

Back