Vive Confirms Ryzen Compatibility Issues With Wireless Adapter

AlphaAtlas

[H]ard|Gawd
Staff member
Last month, users started reporting issues related to the HTC Vive's Wireless adapter on systems with Ryzen CPUs. Those reports started piling up in a Vive community thread, and last Friday, the company officially acknowledged the issue and said they are looking into it. The incompatibility doesn't appear to be universal, as Kyle says his wireless adapter (mostly) works on his Threadripper rig on an MSI X399 MEG motherboard, and other users are reporting problem free experiences. But in the meantime, Vive says they're honoring Ryzen-related returns outside their typical return windows.

We have seen and are actively looking into multiple reports of Ryzen incompatibility with Vive Wireless Adapter. Our current data shows this is occurring with a subset of Ryzen-based PCs. Our investigation will take time as we are working with multiple component manufacturers to identify the root cause. We will update the community as we learn more. In the near term, we are updating our specifications to show that certain Ryzen PCs have a compatibility issue. In addition, starting, 11/19, our customer service agents will honor Ryzen-related returns from our retail partners and vive.com outside of typical return windows.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ouch that sucks. On a side note, my Vive Wireless is working fantastically with my m.2 to PCI-E adapter in my tiny Ncase.

Hmm. Mine is working well on the VR machine also. Daughter plays Moss and Subnautica and my son plays Audioshield and FO4, both for hours on end.

R7 2700
32GB DDR4-2933
Vega56 crossfire

Once thing I did have to do was back down my OC by 100 MHz. It's just running with the stock cooler so 1.3V at 3.9 GHz is all it can manage and be stable. It used to be 4.0, but once the wireless was there I had to back it down a bit. Haven't had an issue with it since then.

Maybe it's a specific USB 3.0 chipset implementation that's failing. Wouldn't be the first time I've seen that happen.

running fine so far using my vive pro, threadripper, RTX 2070 setup.

My system is running flawlessly as well:

Ryzen 7 2700x
Asus CH7 wifi
32Gb G.skill TridentZ 3200 running XMP profile (AMD Compatible sku)
Asus ROG Strix Vega 64

I think you will find that the majority of those having issues are running Ryzen CPUs with Nvidia cards...

Oh, I am running at stock speeds on CPU and GPU...no overclocking.

This is what will happen when you purchase a knock-off middle-eastern processor! /s

But in all seriousness, this is another thing in the back of my mind when I consider purchasing AMD. While HTC has a horrible track record in terms of product support, product testing, and product pricing as of late, it's far more likely a product with compatibility problems with the underdog will slip out there, rather than one with compatibility problems with the market leader.

My system is running flawlessly as well:

Ryzen 7 2700x
Asus CH7 wifi
32Gb G.skill TridentZ 3200 running XMP profile (AMD Compatible sku)
Asus ROG Strix Vega 64

I think you will find that the majority of those having issues are running Ryzen CPUs with Nvidia cards...

Oh, I am running at stock speeds on CPU and GPU...no overclocking.

How's the VR with your Vega 64? Are you using the Vive Pro? I'm really tempted.

Maybe related to the Linux GCC-Segfault issues on the first gen chips?

Works great on my vive pro! Zero issues and great performance!

What mobo? Doesn't seem HTC has up the specs for what is problematic yet, but from what I can find this seems to be mobo related.

Almost or no one with Asrock boards have issues. Most people with issues have Asus boards that I noticed. Plenty of Asus owners are fine though

I was going to buy this for xmas. I think I still will. Seems like most 2700 users are fine and they are honoring returns.

I am scared of wireless VR even though it's inevitable. The cables suck. What should I do?

I am scared of wireless VR even though it's inevitable. The cables suck. What should I do?

I'm in the opposite boat. I have wireless vive and it's great. Getting rid of the cord was better than I expected.

I am still on a I5 3750 oc'd to about 4ghz. I really want to upgrade to a ryzen system. I'm trying to figure out what group of people are having issues. Seems more mobo or maybe chipset than cpu related.

What mobo? Doesn't seem HTC has up the specs for what is problematic yet, but from what I can find this seems to be mobo related.

Almost or no one with Asrock boards have issues. Most people with issues have Asus boards that I noticed. Plenty of Asus owners are fine though

Asus CH7 Wifi. Using older 0804 BIOS (it worked and was the most current, havent bothered to try to update it yet)

The prospect of my VR heating my internal tissues isn't very exciting to me. How would you like to operate a radar?

What exactly are you using for your wireless connection that you are getting as much power as a radar? The current model only gives you a 20x20 range. they aren't going to be transmitting at that high of a power level that it should melt your brain within seconds. Your phone would have a higher output than the headset.

What exactly are you using for your wireless connection that you are getting as much power as a radar? The current model only gives you a 20x20 range. they aren't going to be transmitting at that high of a power level that it should melt your brain within seconds. Your phone would have a higher output than the headset.

Why, yes! It if doesn't melt my brain within seconds, then it must be perfectly safe to stay in a constant 6x6m microwave field for hours on end.

yk0xs3DJgoUtSwjxVXGvFpLvoKE=.gif

Why, yes! It if doesn't melt my brain within seconds, then it must be perfectly safe to stay in a constant 6x6m microwave field for hours on end.

View attachment 138771

First radar, now microwave. Most people just use WIFI or radio waves. If you have a wi-fi access point or your neighbors have it then you already are in a field of wi-fi so nothing different there. Then on top of that there are TV and radio waves going through the air. On top of that you have cordless phones and cellular phones with their signals. So there are already a field of signals around you at all times. The wireless adaptors for headsets use a form of wi-fi (802.11ad) so it is just another wireless device like anything else in a normal house hold..

This would be no worse than being on a cell phone for hours on end or using a wireless headset for hours. To which there is no evidence of that causing cancer yet so this would be just as safe.

First radar, now microwave. Most people just use WIFI or radio waves. If you have a wi-fi access point or your neighbors have it then you already are in a field of wi-fi so nothing different there. Then on top of that there are TV and radio waves going through the air. On top of that you have cordless phones and cellular phones with their signals. So there are already a field of signals around you at all times. The wireless adaptors for headsets use a form of wi-fi (802.11ad) so it is just another wireless device like anything else in a normal house hold..

This would be no worse than being on a cell phone for hours on end or using a wireless headset for hours. To which there is no evidence of that causing cancer yet so this would be just as safe.

Except, cell phones probably emit 100x or more as much amplitude.

Though frequency matters as much or more than amplitude.

Back