Vive 2 is dropping soon, Where the H is Oculus 2 or whatever?

tangoseal

[H]F Junkie
Does anyone have any idea when Oculus 2 or whatever it will be called is going to drop? I do not want to invest in the vive because I already own three cameras for the rift.

Hoping to get the benefits of OLED etc... on version 2 of the rift. Anyways just throwing this out there because I haven't heard anything about it. Its about time we get a new improved version.

Wireless AD version would be awesome.

Anyways I really enjoy VR, I play Elite Dangerous with it and it really makes the game feel immersive.

https://www.techradar.com/news/oculus-rift-2-release-date-news-and-rumors/2

I will wait for Rift 2 to come out and see how it does. I don't care about wired/wireless but more about resolution and clarity.
Don't get me wrong, I love my Rift and don't notice SDE or anything when I am immersed. It would be nice to have more FOV and resolution.
I hope that the camera's will be compatible, if not, no big deal. The cost will be the deciding factor as well.
Only thing is that the Rift probably won't come out until the end of the year?(For xmas?) or even next year.
That gives the Vive a chance to get their resolution up to possibly 4K. Their price however is a bit steep. Full system is 1300?
I will stick with my Rift until the resolution and FOV are at a good level.

The Vive is just pricing themselves out of the general VR gaming market compared to their competition. I am interested in the Vive Pro but the price does indeed seem very steep.

Waiting for competition is generally smart. Should at least bring down price and they can iron out any production bugs.

I am going to preorder today or tomorrow because I like being an early adopter and taking it in the...

As for time frame, I have no idea, but the screens are obviously available. Can't be too far out.

The SDE, of the current gen, doesn't bother me either. My problem is I'm a big sim racer and it's difficult, with the current resolution of my CV1, to see distances and the horizon. I'm assuming at least a 2x bump in resolution will be needed for a perceivable difference in my sim experience.

The SDE, of the current gen, doesn't bother me either. My problem is I'm a big sim racer and it's difficult, with the current resolution of my CV1, to see distances and the horizon. I'm assuming at least a 2x bump in resolution will be needed for a perceivable difference in my sim experience.

New Vive is 78% more pixels. Basically think 1080p to 1440p in the same screen size.

That's actually exactly why I want it. To see distant objects better.

Last edited:
They've hinted at the 2019 timeframe. There's no chance of us hearing anything about it at all before the next Oculus Connect conference.

And I wouldn't call the Vive Pro "Vive 2". Not even HTC is willing to do that.

they're more focused on entry level at the moment, which is the better play IMO... CV1 is still plenty for most people so getting that price down (Which they have done and continue to do) is more beneficial than pushing the high-end at the moment. Go is poised to be a big deal, and Santa Cruz is already getting improvements so I'd expect that to come out before CV2 ever does.

A saying I learned from PC Zone magazine back in the 90's which was true then and is true today; "Great graphics do not a good game make"

Current resolutions are good for most things and I've had fun with my Oculus in a large range of games, and for most of it the resolution has not been an issue. What is a constant problem are accidentally knocked sensors requiring recalibration of play space, tangled wires, wires that are too short, having to drop out of VR to play with menu's and desktops etc.

If they can improve the resolution, so much the better, but for me the priorities are to cut the umbilical and go for onboard tracking. The latter part is particularly difficult for the controllers so if we must have an offboard sensor of any type then it needs to be smart and cope with movement and multiple devices for better cooperative play by people in the same room.

I certainly expect Oculus 2.0 to improve resolution to some degree, but most of all if it doesn't cut the cord then I won't bother upgrading.

A saying I learned from PC Zone magazine back in the 90's which was true then and is true today; "Great graphics do not a good game make"

Current resolutions are good for most things and I've had fun with my Oculus in a large range of games, and for most of it the resolution has not been an issue. What is a constant problem are accidentally knocked sensors requiring recalibration of play space, tangled wires, wires that are too short, having to drop out of VR to play with menu's and desktops etc.

If they can improve the resolution, so much the better, but for me the priorities are to cut the umbilical and go for onboard tracking. The latter part is particularly difficult for the controllers so if we must have an offboard sensor of any type then it needs to be smart and cope with movement and multiple devices for better cooperative play by people in the same room.

I certainly expect Oculus 2.0 to improve resolution to some degree, but most of all if it doesn't cut the cord then I won't bother upgrading.

Vive Pro gets the cord cut in Q3 ;)

I am taking that bugger in my back yard and setting up a 25'x25' playspace.

You need a different setup if you are knocking sensors and tangling wires.

You need a different setup if you are knocking sensors and tangling wires.
Yes, a sensor-free wireless one.

It doesn't take much to knock them out of alignment. When you play, you should never be able to knock them if you have set things up correctly but when you clean the house, they get nudged or completely moved, and even if fixed to the wall the heads will be tilted and adjusted etc when you clean then as necessary. I clean weekly, and they need to be recalibrated at least every other time even if like me you mark them.

As for the cables, each time you put the headset on you need to spend time arranging them either making sure they're not running down your back when you're sitting or you have plenty of flex when standing. Turning 360 in a game is impossible without readjustment.

It doesn't take much to knock them out of alignment. When you play, you should never be able to knock them if you have set things up correctly but when you clean the house, they get nudged or completely moved, and even if fixed to the wall the heads will be tilted and adjusted etc when you clean then as necessary. I clean weekly, and they need to be recalibrated at least every other time even if like me you mark them.

As for the cables, each time you put the headset on you need to spend time arranging them either making sure they're not running down your back when you're sitting or you have plenty of flex when standing. Turning 360 in a game is impossible without readjustment.

Clean them weekly? Where do you live, a sawmill?

I have had my system for 8 months I think. Never had to redo the cameras. Cord is sometimes in the way if I get crazy. Maybe your doing it wrong.

Perhaps your mom hasn't cleaned for 8 months.

Just tell your mom to not clean the cameras, problem solved. Seriously, unless you have them pointing upwards underneath an hvac vent, there's no way you'd need to clean them weekly, or even monthly.

Wireless is a valid want. I have no issues turning multiple times with a wired Vive though...

I am for base stations. Putting the necessary cameras/sensors on a wireless HMD will kill battery life or greatly increase weight. Nevermind transferring all that data, processing it, and ect. without latency. I want tracking to get better than the Vive not worse.

I haven't had to reconfigure my play space since I mounted my sensors... many months ago. The occasional light dusting doesn't mess them up or move them.

I don't trip on or get tangled up in the cable. I clip it to my belt and have it up with some of these https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XY5WKXW

I untwist the cable and store my HMD in the box between sessions. Cable looks brand new. My controllers do not...

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I haven't had to reconfigure my play space since I mounted my sensors... many months ago. The occasional light dusting doesn't mess them up or move them.

I don't trip on or get tangled up in the cable. I clip it to my belt and have it up with some of these https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XY5WKXW

I untwist the cable and store my HMD in the box between sessions. Cable looks brand new. My controllers do not...
Yeah, when I bought my 3rd sensor I just bought the package with controllers in it. I know I might need an extra pair sometime.

Vive Pro gets the cord cut in Q3 ;)

I am taking that bugger in my back yard and setting up a 25'x25' playspace.

I tried outside last year, you need to do it at night as the sunlight messes up the tracking system.

If you're not tripping or getting tangled up it's because you're not moving very much. After 18 months of wired vr I was subconsciously limiting my movement so as to not anger the cable. Once I got a TPCast I had to basically deprogram myself and start moving around more. It makes a huge difference even in my 2m x 3m space. I would bet it's super amazing once you're in the 4x4 range.

Also, very few games are designed to encourage totally free movement, specifically because of the cable. In the case of Oculus funded exclusives, they usually don't even assume you're going to turn fully around which is why there's so many "front facing 180" games. I doubt we will see another major headset that doesn't at least offer wireless, and I for sure will not buy any that don't.

I tried outside last year, you need to do it at night as the sunlight messes up the tracking system.

The weak link in the current system is the optical sync pulse, which will not be part of lighthouse 2.0. I assume 2.0 will be able to handle brighter conditions better, but it may not be able to handle full daylight.

If you're not tripping or getting tangled up it's because...

Decent cable management helps a ton. It's impossible for me to trip, and I'd have to try to get tangled. I don't have loose cable flopping around. It's always up off the floor and behind me. Just need to remember to spin the other way or take a couple of steps if I feel it starting to get wrapped up. Good thing I'm an ambi-turner.

9BKML7T.gif

Direct sunlight focused through the fresnel lenses when the HMD is taken off may also burn the AMOLED screens. Definitely the case for the OLED screens in the Rift and the regular Vive. VR and direct/strong sunlight just don’t mix well.

I hope they handle the wireless better than TPCast - I will tell you guys that wireless is a lot like government. Great idea and it's amazing when it works....until it NEVER DOES....

I hope they handle the wireless better than TPCast - I will tell you guys that wireless is a lot like government. Great idea and it's amazing when it works....until it NEVER DOES....

In terms of setup it looks way easier than a TPCast. One cable plugs into the included PCI-e card and runs to the antenna that handles all communication between the pc and HMD. Everything going over a single link should make it more reliable than the tpcast method.

My only concern with the official wireless adapter is cost. If HTC thinks the moderate upgrades in the Pro are worth $800, god knows what they'll charge for wireless.

In terms of setup it looks way easier than a TPCast. One cable plugs into the included PCI-e card and runs to the antenna that handles all communication between the pc and HMD. Everything going over a single link should make it more reliable than the tpcast method.

My only concern with the official wireless adapter is cost. If HTC thinks the moderate upgrades in the Pro are worth $800, god knows what they'll charge for wireless.

Honestly the price baffles me. The only thing I am considering is that maybe they are going governmental. $800 for a peripheral is nothing for a military or industrial application. Maybe that's where they are targeting...

Honestly the price baffles me. The only thing I am considering is that maybe they are going governmental. $800 for a peripheral is nothing for a military or industrial application. Maybe that's where they are targeting...

If you look at it objectively they really have no competition until Oculus 2 drops. Currently I think they are sold out into May. I preordered mine April 2nd and it might ship today.... technically they could have priced it higher if they are backordered around a month.

I need solid tracking for both HMD and hands. Only Oculus and HTC have that as far as I know. I get instantly sick if I lose it.

Yeah I've got TPCast and it worked okay for a month and then the last two times I tried it i just couldn't get it to work despite an hour or two of fiddling.

Yeah I've got TPCast and it worked okay for a month and then the last two times I tried it i just couldn't get it to work despite an hour or two of fiddling.

I had a similar thing with mine except after like 4 hours of fiddling and messing with their customer service, I just gave up. No longer worth the hassle. I used mine briefly for tech demos but I can't rely on it.

Have you guys watch this --

Ouch. Sad that he said it's only marginally better than the Rift. I know the price point of it is probably the biggest disappointment.
I hope other VR companies can come back with something better.

The reviews seem completely bipolar. Way more good than bad though.
More good, but not in the area that really matter. Resolution. Only marginally better than the Rift? I would rather it be uncomfortable but have awesome res.
I guess that is why it is a pro version and not 2.0.

More good, but not in the area that really matter. Resolution. Only marginally better than the Rift? I would rather it be uncomfortable but have awesome res.
I guess that is why it is a pro version and not 2.0.

Others say it's way more than marginal. It's 78% more pixels. I'll find out when I get it Tuesday!

I've got an original Vive with the deluxe audio strap, upgraded round cable and upgraded facial interface. While tossing around the metric that the Vive Pro has "78% more pixels" sounds really great, the perceived resolution increase is actually no where near that "78%" mark from what I have read. Perhaps more like a 15-20% increase in perceived overall resolution. While nice and everyone seems to agree that text is much sharper and the SDE is greatly reduced, every review I've read seems to indicate that the overall VR "experience" is pretty much the same and it definitely doesn't justify the $800 asking price. FOV is reported to be pretty much the same as are the god rays and the small focus sweet spot. Had HTC priced this HMD at $399 or even $449, with a full bundle to follow, they may have succeeded with it, but $800 for just the HMD simply doesn't offer enough to justify its price tag. The lack of any controllers/sensors excludes everyone that doesn't already have a regular Vive VR setup as well, and with the Rift+Touch selling for half of what the Vive Pro costs, HTC isn't going to be setting any sales records with this product. They really need to drop its price significantly or bundle it with new controllers/lighthouses for that $800 asking price if they want this product to have any chance at success. Right now, it is priced to fail given the current VR market.

Back