Visual Studio cannot open my projects!

rflcptr

Supreme [H]ardness
'C:\Users\Jeremy\Documents\Visual Studio 2008\Projects\DataStructures05\DataStructures05\DataStructures05.vcproj' cannot be opened because its project type (.vcproj) is not supported by this version of Visual Studio.

To open it, please use a version that supports this type of project.
Also:
The Visual C++ Project System Package ({F1C25864-3097-11D2-A5C5-00C04F7968B4}) did not load because of previous errors. For assistance, contact the package vendor. To attempt to load this package again, type 'devenv /resetskippkgs' at the command prompt.
The Visual C++ Project System Package ({F1C25864-3097-11D2-A5C5-00C04F7968B4}) did not load because of previous errors. For assistance, contact the package vendor. To attempt to load this package again, type 'devenv /resetskippkgs' at the command prompt.

I have done nothing to modify Visual Studio 2008; I tried installing SP1 but I still have no success. I tried restoring the projects from my backup, but that failed as well. Any ideas on what to do?

Much, much appreciation!

Are you sure that you are using the full Visual Studio suite, and not just Visual C# Express Edition (or another of the express editions?)

I know it's an obvious question, but it's a good one to start with.

2.png

Nope, full thing, VS08 Professional. I'm attempting a complete reinstall of the software now.

And apparently I win again:
Error 1304. Error writing to file: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\VC\vcpackages\autolayt.dll. Verify that you have access to that directory.

Now that I'm sufficiently pissed, I guess I'll run some tests on the hard disk itself; this is the laptop, afterall.

Is there any reason Disk Check would just close 5-10% into the scan?

Where did these project files come from? Did you copy them over from a Linux/Unix machine, or some other system that does not use the (CR+LF) line endings? Visual Studio does not recognize the other type of newline endings.

Open the file in notepad. If it looks normal, then I'll take another look at the issue. If it runs together in one giant line, you have newline issues, so run unix2dos on the project files or open them in a text editor that supports the different newline styles and re-save them with DOS endings.

If you're having disk problems, you should see records in the System Event Log.

Where did these project files come from? Did you copy them over from a Linux/Unix machine, or some other system that does not use the (CR+LF) line endings? Visual Studio does not recognize the other type of newline endings.
It's from a previous Vista x64 (as the current one is) install.

It's from a previous Vista x64 (as the current one is) install.

I had this issue with my first install of Vista 64 and it was unfixable. VS2005 worked like a charm but VS2008 would just do nothing..... I was quite annoyed.

My new install of Vista 64 is fine. VS2008 just works now.

I searched high and low at the times and even got some support through MSDN forums and such but all the suggestions that were given never worked.

I wish I knew why it did this. I wonder if they have a fix now.

If you're having disk problems, you should see records in the System Event Log.
I just found the time to do this; there were NTFS errors galore, along with a host of other errors related to various services failing to start because their directories were corrupt or unreadable.

Yikes. That's at least a part of your problem.

Further tests turned up nothing bad for the disk itself. Apparently something simply happened to the file system; a reformat and install of Windows is at least less expensive than purchasing a new drive altogether! :p

Back