Visual Studio 2010 size on C:

whitewarrior11

Limp Gawd
Hi folks,

Not sure if this is the right place to post this (mods, feel free to move it).

I want to install Visual Studio 2010 on my computer, on a dedicated partition E: . For some reason, when I choose E: as the destination directory (in VS setup), I end up having to free like 5gb of space on the C:.

Is this behavior normal? How can I install VS entirely on the E: (or at least most of it)?

Any workaround for this?

Thanks in advance!

There is allot of shared code in VS, I wouldn't be surprised if you can't control this. I've found the installer troublesome as it is without changing directories.

All the shared stuff has to be on C:

I'm sure if you decided to spend countless hours editing the registry and settings files, you MIGHT be able to move most of it away from the default install directories.... but it really woudn't be worth it.. and who knows if it would even end up working properly in the end.

Wiseguy2001... The VS installer.. at least for 2010 has been flawless for me thus far... 2005 and 2008 are a different story all together... sometimes telling me that a package wasn't installed when it was or that it was installed when it wasn't... or just giving random install errors that made no sense why it was even giving an error in the first place.

Ok, I guess I'll have to actually free up some space on the C:.

As a side note, is there a tool used to reduce Windows 7 footprint? A bit like nLite used to be for XP (I believe vLite for Vista too).

Does this tool work well?

Well, you can always disable hibernation. That will free up space on Drive C equal to the amount of RAM you have.

Go to Start-->All Program-->Accesories. Right click on command prompt and "run as administrator"

Type in "powercfg -h off" and hit enter.

You can also put the swap file on a different drive.

You can also lower the amount of space that System restore is using.. or even disable it. Either one will free up a fair amount of space.

You can also clear out the windows update cache.
http://summeylabs.com/wordpress/2009/10/clearing-windows-update-cache/

It also helps a bit to turn off kernel memory dumps if a crash happens. It is in the advanced tab of system properties.

Also, lower the amount of space for temporary files that Internet explorer and/or other browsers you use use. 10MB is plenty. Even if you don't use IE, reduce the amount in it.

You should also use a nice little program called ccleaner. It will usually free up at least a gig or so if you havent reinstalled Windows from scratch for a while... In extreme cases I have seen it free up 3-4gigs on older computers.
http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

As for programs that reduce Windows 7 footprint - I am not aware of any. Then again, I haven't even looked.

More importantly - why do you have so little space on your C: drive? Easiest solution is to cut that out.

^ Yep, I'd like an SSD, but 160 gigs (looking at Intel's) is the minimum I'll buy, considering the space these and other tools consume.

VS2010 should only be taking 5-6GB total once you uncheck the stupid optional crap like SQL Server.

LOL x4

Or you can just install the .net SDK (~300mb tops) and use notepad to code.

Useful note: While it is usually frowned upon, if you are desperate for space you could try manually limiting the virtual memory size. If you keep it around 1gb you should be fine and this will free up a gig or two of disk space.

So you clowns can just go ahead and laugh at yourselves for having nothing.
We're clowns, now? Look, you don't know what you're talking about, and you don't even know who you're talking to. Keep piling rhetoric on, and escalating--you're just making it worse for yourself.

Anyone knows not to install things they won't use if they want to save space. The OP poorly planned their system, and is going to have trouble getting value out of it until they get more space. Making blanket statements about important technologies is not helpful to anyone; in this case, not even yourself.

Back