Vista64 slow file transfer woes

Digital Cro-Magnon

Limp Gawd
I would like to report very slow file transfer over ethernet on Vista 64 Business w/ SP1. I was trying to copy 90GB of file from one computer to another on a local network. The communication was happening between a Win2k Pro workstation and Vista 64. The transfer rate was averaging around 2MB/sec , which is darn slow. I then tried to do the same 90GB file transfer, this time between the Win2k workstation and a Linux (fedora 9 using Gnome desktop mananger) workstation,on the same network, with the same hardware configuration as the Vista64. The average transfer rate was about 7.5MB/sec, which is close to 4x faster. What gives? I think that a modern OS like Vista 64 should be able to do much better. I am not sure if this should be acceptable performance for today's systems when 1.5 TB hard drives can be purchased for fairly cheap.

Anyone have any suggestions or comments to speed up the transfer rate?

btw, all computers are connected via a 100Mb/sec switch

Have you done the normal tweaks associated with this as of yet? If not, they are to disable both Link-Layer items and IPv6 in the TCP/IP configuration, and also to remove Remote Differential Compression from the Programs and Features Control Panel applet.

I have already disabled the Remote Differential Compression from the Programs and Features Control Panel applet before I tried the file transfer. Any other suggestions or comments?

One thing that is hard believe, is that Vista64 is supposed to be a commercial ready OS, and that a user has to "mess around" with Network and Service settings to increase file transfer rates. I wonder if the average user would figure it out or for that matter, should have to need to figure it out. Granted, most people using this forum are not average computer users, so it should not be a difficult thing to do. I am not trying to cause a flame war here, but let's just be honest about the situation, a least in reference to large file transfers.

There was one "tweak" that I stumbled across that helped out for me. That was to create a new rule in the vista firewall settings for a outbound connection to allow all traffic through. This helped increase my speed from...get ready for it....yup here it comes...3.4mbs to a whopping....7mbs.woot woot....:rolleyes:

Anyways, at this point i discovered that my outbound transfer speed to my server is about 40.00mbs and my inbound rate is still stuck at 7mbs. I am still playing around with various settings and whatnot hopefully soon I'll discover why my inbound rate still sucks fat monkey balls...

One thing that is hard believe, is that Vista64 is supposed to be a commercial ready OS, and that a user has to "mess around" with Network and Service settings to increase file transfer rates.
I'm not sure how much those tweaks are even supposed to help, if at all.

Are you trying to copy data using mapped drives? Vista (and Server 2008) uses SMB 2.0, and falls back to 1.0 when talking to older (ie. XP) clients. SMB 2.0 is supposed to be a little faster.

Have you done the normal tweaks associated with this as of yet? If not, they are to disable both Link-Layer items and IPv6 in the TCP/IP configuration, and also to remove Remote Differential Compression from the Programs and Features Control Panel applet.

I find it interesting people are doing these tweaks. I have not found them to be necessary. On my home network, which is Gigabit, I get transfer rates of up to 75 MB a second (all Vista, RAID 0). At work, also Gigabit, we've seen as high as 50, on a mixed Windows network (Vista, Server 2008, Server 2003, XP). The interesting thing is, only the Vista and Server 2008 machine see these speeds. If I copy a file from a server with 2003 on it to XP, I hit about 12 MB, if I copy from Server 2003 to Vista or Server 2008, I get the 50 MB. It may not be the Vista machine in this case that needs tweaked.

I find it interesting people are doing these tweaks. I have not found them to be necessary.
Without some of these tweaks, I can often watch a large file just stop, as if the transfer completed, except that it hasn't. It is very strange.

Have you done this? - http://www.petri.co.il/improve_windows_vista_network_performance.htm

netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=disable

That might help file transfers by a tiny bit, but you do NOT want to disable the autotuning. Best to leave it to normal.

Reason being? If you have a fast net connection (i.e. Verizon FIOS), disabling this will not allow you to get your full speeds. I had a problem with Vista recently because I have a 15/2 FIOS connection, and I was only getting 15/1. Part of the issue was that I found out that autotuning was disabled. Once I enabled it and did a few other tweaks, my speeds went right back up to 15/2.

About the slow file transfers, yes, I experienced that myself. The best way to remedy it is in fact the Remote Differential Compression tweak. I know that that raised my transfer speeds by about 2x.

...It may not be the Vista machine in this case that needs tweaked...

I then tried to do the same 90GB file transfer, this time between the Win2k workstation and a Linux (fedora 9 using Gnome desktop mananger) workstation,on the same network, with the same hardware configuration as the Vista64. The average transfer rate was about 7.5MB/sec, which is close to 4x faster.

Using the same computer, but switching the OS, I experienced a significant speedup in file transfer. So, at least in my case, it was Vista causing the slowdown.

Without some of these tweaks, I can often watch a large file just stop, as if the transfer completed, except that it hasn't. It is very strange.

Interesting as I have never had this problem. I would assume it to be a hardware and/or driver issue. But as long as you get it working, it's all good.

Back