Vista, XP dual booting issues

obs

Supreme [H]ardness
So I've recently installed Vista 64-bit on a separate harddrive than my current windows xp installation. However, the Vista bootloader never added the XP installation to it as an option. I have tried adding it via programs like EasyBCD and VistaBootPro but none will work. The only way to boot into xp is to change the boot drive to xp.

"The only way to boot into xp is to change the boot drive to xp"

That method, IMO, is the better way to do it anyway. Your mb should have a function key that you can press during boot up so you can select any bootable device so you don't have to go into the bios to change it. It's a better method because the boot sector of each HDD is kept intact from each other so if one goes down you still have access to the other.

Why Vista didn't see XP and add it to the boot menu I don't know.

A similar way to Milkwegs dual boot method is to use the CMOS to change which drive you want to boot from or install to (if your BIOS doesnt have the option to change drive during boot).
This puts all the boot loader files for the OS you are booting on the drive you are booting.
This removes all dependancies on any other drive so you can boot an OS when other drives are messed up. All OS's will be entirely independent of each other.

Use this process when installing a new OS.

1) Remove all drives except the one you want to install to.
2) Install OS
3) Plug other drives in
4) Use CMOS to select which drive to boot from.

If you dont remove all drives before installing, you may be fooled into putting the bootloader on the wrong drive.

Back