Vista/XP booting, questions on BCDEDIT

EET

Limp Gawd
I've gone through about 10 pages or so searching for relation to this, but to no avail, so here goes...

So I've recently installed Vista, for now just to tinker, I haven't even activated it or anything. I still use XP 99% of the time, and at times I turn the computer on & let it boot on its own. Currently the boot configuration has Vista as the default, but I found reference to bcdedit while looking at msconfig on XP, and while I know it's there, and changes can be made, I don't know nearly enough about it to confidently make the changes without worry of screwing something up big time. So, I'm here seeking asylum in the arms of the [H]. My setup is shown as this:

bcdedit.jpg

What exactly would I need to do here? I took out the hex-keys just because I didn't know if there was a security risk there (they're not missing ;)).

You can change this with out using BCDEDIT.

One way (there are many) is to run MSCONFIG from in the Vista install. The boot tab should let you change the "Legacy version of Windows" to "Default OS". That should do it. You don't need to mess with the BCD for a change in default OS selection in the Vista Boot manager. Like putting thumbtacks in a cork board with a sledge hammer. It works, but you could break something if you are not careful. :D

freeware called easyBCD is how I did it. Quick and simple GUI for it.

I'm probably going to have to use that easyBCD. I started up in Vista and there was only one option under the boot tab, and that was the "Default OS" option.

if you goto system properties, you can goto advanced and do it there. pretty much the same as in windows 2000/xp.

easybcd is also good to use, but not necessary really since your bcdedit screenshot shows the earlier version is in the bootloader. so the system properties approach should work.

Back