Vista x64 "Save as..." and "Open." window OFTEN freezes when trying to browse

StorageJoe

Limp Gawd
When attempting to save a document or browse to open a file from within an ap, the dialogue box freezes for 10 secs or so when trying to browse to preferred save location. The ap shows as not responding. I don't have any mapped network drives and can't seem to find any other solution. This seems to be fairly common, as I've seen this problem on a couple other forums, but never found an answer that actually works. Any Ideas?

System is:
ASUS Crosshair AM2 board, X2 4000+, 2 GB DDR2-800 (OCZ), 7950GT, 5 SATA HDDs and a couple of DVD-RW drives (1 SATA, 2 PATA). Vista x64 (clean install)

I've seen this happen on 32 bit systems running MS Office and have a printer with a memory card slot which creates a drive letter on the computer. If this is the case remove the drive letter for the memory card.

I've seen this happen (on XP, at least) when there's a CD in the cdrom and the file browser has to wait for the CD to spin up before it can do anything. Take any discs out and try it?

Nothing in the CD drives, although I am running Daemon Tools, although nothing is typically mounted. Other than that, not showing any mapped network drives or card readers in "My Computer".

I've seen and fixed this issue by simply running CCleaner as admin on vista

Back