Vista x64 Internet Connection Issues

REDYOUCH

Supreme [H]ardness
This problem has me stumped. I have a Sony VAIO laptop that I just installed Vista x64 on. Everything was going great until I installed nmapBETA with WinPCap. Then, IE 32-bit and any other 32-bit application would not connect to the internet. 64-bit IE worked without a problem. I proceeded to uninstall nmap and any other applications that I had installed, including Firefox 3.0.8. This machine also has 32-bit uBuntu installed, which I am posting this on now. I also tried to reset the IE settings, delete Winsock keys in HKLM\Services, ran some netsh commands to reset, and reinstalled IP protocols. Please let me know if you have any suggestions on how to fix this, as I really don't want to reinstall Windows. Also, if I do need to reinstall, does Vista allow for in-place repair like XP? I know how to repair startup, but how can I repair the entire installation?

Please let me know, and thank you in advance.
-Chris

Open a cmd window type ipconfig

Write down ur subnet and default gatway

Go into Control Panel,Network and Sharing Center

Click View Status,Click Properties,Click Internet Protocol Version 4,click Properties

Click Use the Following IP Address

Enter 192.168.1.3

Click subnet area and 255.255.255.0 should go in by default.

Type in ur default gateway numbers from Ipconfig

Let it do it's thing.Maybe reboot. Maybe reset ur modem.

Should work then

Goodluck

Its not a problem with the IP address or subnet. I can still ping anything and connect to/from the machine via RDP. Also, 64-bit IE worked fine up until recently. It has something to do with the TCP/IP stack or Winsock, or something of that nature. I'm just wondering if there is another way to reinstall these...

Typing "netsh winsock reset" in a cmd window could solve the problem. I get problems with winsock under Vista x64 but I just disable and then re-enable the IMON in NOD32 2.79, which seems to have the same effect as the netsh command. I stopped using the netsh command after discovering the IMON thing because the command caused some kind of problem which I cannot remember now... I'm quite sure it wasn't a major problem though.

Man I should have looked at the 8.1 yrs @ H Hangs head ... lol

Hope you get it fixed..

Back