Vista X64 Hibernate : Wake Up

HEADRAT

n00b
Hi,

My Vista X64 box will go into S3 hibernate (fans/psu off) but I can't seem to wake it up with keyboard/mouse

the only way I can get it to "wake up" is to press the power button again but if I do it goes through the bios/raid bootup screens agan.

How do I make it just wake straight up using the keyboard or mouse!

I have it enabled in the BIOS.

the following shows:-

C:\powercfg -devicequery wake_armed
Microsoft USB IntelliMouse Explorer 3.0 (001)
Microsoft USB Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 (IntelliType Pro) (001)

that my keyboard and mouse are able to wake up the OS but it doesn't!

Cheers

HEADRAT

Hibernate = paged to disc and powered off. You want sleep mode, which suspends to RAM for nearly instant "power on." I turn off hybrid sleep since I don't want it to automatically hibernate after a period of time in sleep mode. I have the computer plugged into a UPS anyways.

I measured power usage on my Dell in sleep mode and it was 6.5W vs 4W powered off/hibernate (+5Vsb is always on).

I turn off hybrid sleep since I don't want it to automatically hibernate after a period of time in sleep mode. I have the computer plugged into a UPS anyways.

Not quite what it does - hybrid sleep, for desktops anyway, creates a hibernation file immediately and then puts it into S3 Standby. This means that you can wake it almost instantly, but if the power is cut then the hibernation file is there as a backup and you don't lose data. It doesn't do S3 for a while, then S4 hibernate. Your UPS would mean it's not really required though, yes.

Not quite what it does - hybrid sleep,
Oops, bad assumption on my part based on how messed up it works on my AW9D-MAX (another problem: USB ports don't work right after so may sleep cycles). I already miss my Dell. :(

you should be using Vista's sleep mode (red button in the start menu by default)

Hi,

My Vista X64 box will go into S3 hibernate (fans/psu off) but I can't seem to wake it up with keyboard/mouse

the only way I can get it to "wake up" is to press the power button again but if I do it goes through the bios/raid bootup screens agan.

How do I make it just wake straight up using the keyboard or mouse!

I have it enabled in the BIOS.

the following shows:-

C:\powercfg -devicequery wake_armed
Microsoft USB IntelliMouse Explorer 3.0 (001)
Microsoft USB Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 (IntelliType Pro) (001)

that my keyboard and mouse are able to wake up the OS but it doesn't!

Cheers

HEADRAT

Not quite following what you have enabled in the BIOS. You have S3 enabled or the ability for USB devices to wake the system?

And you can change the function of your power button in the BIOS as well. It sounds like you have it set to power off / on the machine rather than suspend the machine.

I have s3 enabled + the ability for USB to wake up system in the BIOS (set to any key)

I'm only using the power button to "wake up", I'm using the "hibernate button" off the start menu to hibernate.

I want to use "hibernate" instead of "sleep" as my Hauppauge Nova T-500 has problems waking up after "sleep" but is fine from "hibernate".

Thanks

HEADRAT

If you're actually forcing the system to hibernate, you're not using S3 or the "hybrid" sleep state. You're using the S4 sleep state. S4 is a full system power off and there are hardly any chipsets support device wake from S4.

That would explain why you see the BIOS and RAID screens when you power back on.

Ah!

I've manages to fix sleep state, I'm using MCE standby tool and the latest drivers for Hauppauge Nova T-500 and now the tuners work when I wake up from sleep :)

Yay!

Thanks

HEADRAT

Back