Vista x64 forces digitally signed drivers?

Seraphic

2[H]4U
Um... So how do I remove/disable this stupid "feature" that only allows digitally signed drivers to be installed?
Most the drivers for my hardware is third party with no "proper" signed drivers.

Whenever i run across a non-digital signed driver i just get prompted. Its done that since XP SP2 i believe

What hardware? Most stuff generally is signed actually... But you can disable the check when you boot if you press F8 and pick the Disable device driver signing thing.

Yeah, used to just get the pop-up and click to install anyway.
But using all the newest Vista x64 updates (installed today), Vista x64 will refuse to allow the non-signed driver to run.
These drivers I use are not signed.

I did some searching and found a post on how to disable it.
Looks like it should work so I am going to try it.

http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic127187.html

As you might know, or will learn now , starting with Windows Vista, MS decided to add an extra protection to x64 systems: Device Driver Signature Enforcement. In other words you can install & use only MS certified drivers in your system. If you would install an unsigned or improperly signed driver then Windows would let you know that the driver is not signed and it would not load on the next boot (usually giving an error) or even not install at all.

Vista x64 has always forced driver signing. Good luck with the workaround.

My issue is I moved some hardware to another computer that was running Windows XP Pro x86, but now in the system that runs x64 Vista, I am having problems. How the hell can Microsoft get away with telling us what we can and can not install onto our computers?

Driver signing isn't exactly news. It's been known since almost a year before Vista x64 launched to the public. That was over 3.5 years ago, and over 2.5 years since Vista launched.

Your hardware's 32-bit drivers aren't going to work in Vista x64 anyways, signed or not.

In my case I haven't used x64 Vista with this hardware.
As for these drivers, there are x32 and x64 versions.
But both not signed though.

Back to my question though: How the hell can Microsoft get away with telling us what we can and can not install onto our computers?

Driver Signature Enforcement Overrider (dseo13b.exe)

google it, haven't tried it myself yet.

What kind of ghetto hardware manufacturer can't afford $300 for a certificate?
LOL.
How the hell can Microsoft get away with telling us what we can and can not install onto our computers?
They aren't telling you what to do. They're enforcing driver signing for stability and security. It's not their fault when the manufacturer doesn't get their drivers signed.

There's a difference between driver signing and recognizing the publisher.

Can I /thread this?

Awesome, it seems to be working. I just had to go find the correct .sys files and it worked.
So, do I need to remain in Test Mode forever now? Or can I disable it and only need to switch to test mode when using the unsigned drivers? I mean, would it be "safe" to remain in test mode for normal everyday use? Also, if I disable test mode, I need to re-enable User Account Control, correct?

You mean you don't know how to get out of it or don't want to?
To need to re-run the dseo12b exe and select disable test mode.

Driver Signature Enforcement Overrider (dseo13b.exe)

google it, haven't tried it myself yet.

I thought you haven't used it?
But whatever the case, you are saying it is safe to remain in test mode permanently?
Do work, install software, games, internet, etc...

I thought you haven't used it?
But whatever the case, you are saying it is safe to remain in test mode permanently?
Do work, install software, games, internet, etc...

I think I meant haven't tested it myself yet. I installed it 3 months ago for a ramdisk program and it worked so i have used it, but I haven't tested it for security flaws or anything like that. I still have it enabled 3 months later with no known issues, but again I have only used it for the ramdisk.

Isn't that the same thing the Driver Signature Enforcement Overrider (dseo13b.exe) does?

What hardware do you have?

It's from a small independent company.

So does anyone know if it is safe to remain in test mode permanently? Or should you only go into test mode when you need to use the non-signed drivers? Otherwise, remain in normal Windows mode.

Back