VISTA X64 Disks from MS for $9.99

Finny76

[H]ard|Gawd
For those of you who have Vista 32 bit can order the x64bit via MS website for $9.99.

My question is does the 64bit disc have all versions of VISTAl ike the 32bit (Home/Premium/Ultimate and Business) OR when you order it you only get the version of the 32bit you have?

I know the KEY you have determines between the versions but I just was curious.

Heres the LINK incase anyone wants to upgrade from 32bit to 64bit

The disc is functionally identical to the 32-bit retail disc. It installs based on what key you enter.

To my understanding, all Vista discs are identical, save for the platform difference (x86 or x64). The version installed is based on the key you enter, or, if you install like most people, you don't enter the key right away....you just pick the version you own, and pop your key in later, within the 30 days.

To my understanding, all Vista discs are identical, save for the platform difference (x86 or x64). The version installed is based on the key you enter, or, if you install like most people, you don't enter the key right away....you just pick the version you own, and pop your key in later, within the 30 days.

Correct. I bought this also months ago, and while I still wish they released both in the same package, its still a pretty sweet and inexpensive way to go 64-bit, have your "cake and ice cream" kind of deal.

If I am not mistaken this only works with a retail key and not an OEM.

Correct. The only thing that matters is the serial.

Wasn't sure if you meant in just the context of the OP's, but generally speaking, the volume licensing Business and/or Enterprise DVDs won't install other versions. If I recall, it doesn't ask for the key during setup, and checks for the KMS upon completion.

I have an Enterprise disc from TechNet, and it has and asks for a key during install. I've also used a VLK version from a previous job (legally, set up on an employees computer) and that asked for and used a key. I don't remember if they gave the choices of which version to install, like most common Vista DVDs do.

Didn't have time to verify, but one example is our Business w/ SP1 Upgrade DVD. Unlike the Ultimate w/ SP1 Upgrade DVD, the Sources folder is missing the install .clg files for every other version. Ultimate disc property size is 2.8GB, to the 2.14GB for Business.

I might be receiving different media (Campus Agreement)? I can remember my first install of Enterprise. I had my MAK ready to go, but was never prompted. I totally forgot about it until days later when I was warned Vista couldn't activate because of no KMS server.

ok so my dads laptop has an OEM vista 32bit home premium sticker. can I get this and install 64 bit painlessly?

I just got me VISTA x64 SP1 Disc From MS. On the Disc it says x64 Home Basic
BUT i have a ULTIMATE KEY.

The Vista 64 and 32 discs includes almost all of the Vista versions. The key is what determines what version is actually installed and activated. From my experience the OEM key will not guarantee that MS will send you a $10 disc. However the key will work on a 64 disc, now matter what the source.

As said before I have read that others have received the disc from MS for $10 using the OEM key to order. Only one way to find is to use OEM key to order, and see if it flies, I highly doubt it, but who knows?

And yes, Ultimate retail should include 64

Also all the big OEMs (HP/Dell) won't support the system once they know you installed a different version of Windows than what they sent you.

TechieSooner yet another good reason to build your own.
I do. But you can't build anything like an M1330 ;)

i leave the format partition. but thats weird, its just software....
Well, it's totally different driver set. I understand why, but most places will refuse to troubleshoot your issue or flat out help you if they find out it's 64 bit... even though it's unrelated.

Well it's been 5 days since I ordered my 64bit media, so I think because it includes SP1 I may have to wait awhile unfortunately. I was looking back on my confirmation email and they didn't even list an estimated delivery.

Mine was 10...

Microsoft emails you the estimated delivery later on (they don't give it as soon as you order).

Just tried it with a Vista X86 on my Dell M1330 but it didn't work.

The links are Not working anymore...

Does anyone know how to order Replacement Disks for Windows 7?

Holy thread necromancer, Batman! If you do some quick Googling, you can usually find the official download links. The are from Microsoft, hosted on a Microsoft-owned site, but most forums seem to not allow them to be posted.

For those of you who have Vista 32 bit can order the x64bit via MS website for $9.99.

My question is does the 64bit disc have all versions of VISTAl ike the 32bit (Home/Premium/Ultimate and Business) OR when you order it you only get the version of the 32bit you have?

I know the KEY you have determines between the versions but I just was curious.

Heres the LINK incase anyone wants to upgrade from 32bit to 64bit

I believe that's MS's Order Desk department: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/302822

About your question, you need to remove the ei.cfg file I belive in order to have all versions on one disk.

Also I've heard from reliable sources that if you order Business or lower they will come in 7 (5 Windows disks and 2 SP installation disks) disks instead of a DVD. Only Ultimate is apparently shipped as a DVD. :(

Back