Vista x64 / CoD 4 performance vs. XP w/ 6800 Ultra AGP

XeeN

Limp Gawd
I'm dual booting XP (32 bit) and Vista x64. I installed Vista x64 to see if performance would be comparible in the primary game I've been playing right now, Call of Duty 4.

I have an Opteron 170 (think AMD 64 X2 4000), 2GB RAM, an MSI Neo2 Platinum, and a 6800 Ultra (AGP).

The performance difference didn't even compare for me. In XP I have to turn off a lot of effects to get a good playable experience to keep my framerate above 30 most of the time. In Vista, I'd only get frames above 30 if I was in a small hallway or room. Out in the open, I'm at about 5-15 fps.

I installed the latest drivers from Nvidia's site, tried beta drivers, made sure my sound card drivers were up to date, but it still really suffers.

Anyone able to get comparible performance w/ XP with a similar setup? I'm searching for a possible misconfiguration on my part, but it looks like my Vista gaming will begin when I'm ready to spend money on an upgrade.

I think your video card is going to be a big bottleneck in that setup for COD4. The shader demands can be quite high at times in COD4 so that is probably just eating your 6800 alive.

I've got a similar setup as you and I've tried CoD4 and Crysis. Just upgrade or get the game on a console and save yourself the headaches of trying to run it. It ain't gonna work well ;)

I think your video card is going to be a big bottleneck in that setup for COD4. The shader demands can be quite high at times in COD4 so that is probably just eating your 6800 alive.

I can get it running well in XP, so I was just hoping that something would work as well in Vista x64. I'm a bit curious to see if the x86 version would be faster, but for now I've gone back to gaming on XP.

Back