Vista x64 and codecs?

CpuMan

Gawd
I have been using Vista Home Premium 32 bit since March. Recently I upgraded to 4 GBs or ram.

I would like to make full use of the full 4 GBs of ram by switching to Vista Home Premium x64. I have had the good fortune to get a hold of a x64 disk, Installed Home Premium x64, but I have not entered a license key for it yet as I do not want to buy one until I know all my software and hardware works. So I have 30 days to decide if I want to switch for good or not.

So far all my hardware works just fine. The only thing holding me back is the inability to play .hdmov files or mp4 movie files. I tried some x64 codecs by googling, but nothing has worked so far. Has anybody else using Vista 64 bit been able to play these movie files in .hdmov or .mp4's? If so what got it working for you?

In Vista x32 I normally am able to play these files by downloading FFDShow MPEG-4 codecs and media player classic. But it's no workie in Vista 64 bit.

I run FFDShow in Vista x64 and it works fine for me. Have you tried installing CCCP (if you installed FFDShow previously, run cccp-insurgent to clear out any cruft from previous codec installs)?

I run FFDShow in Vista x64 and it works fine for me. Have you tried installing CCCP (if you installed FFDShow previously, run cccp-insurgent to clear out any cruft from previous codec installs)?

Ok, did you use the FFDshow 32 bit codecs or the beta 64 bit codecs?

I installed the 32-bit version, since the players I use are 32-bit (MPC, Zoomplayer). If you installed 64-bit codecs, you will need a 64-bit player.

don't use ffdshow...

I install klite codec pack and AVOID using ffdshow at all. everything plays fine for me.

Now if I were to use 64 bit media player, then I'd need 64 bit codecs, unfortunately they are incomplete at the moment, so I'm stuck with 32 bit players, but all seem to work great.

Ok, I reinstalled Vista 64bit fresh and now .hdmov and mp4's seem to be working :) . Must of corrupted something in the first install. All I did was install ffdshow again and all is good.

Now the only thing stopping me from going 64 bit and not looking back is getting the Hauppauge 45 button remote to work. It seems Hauppauge only has a driver for 32 bit remote, "ir.exe 32" and not 64 bit driver :mad: .
Just when I thought I had everything working. LOL

Thanks for the replies.

Back