Vista won't fully boot after installing external USB Hard drive

H-street

Supreme [H]ardness
I have vista ultimate with 2 Internal hard drives and 2 external drives

my internal drives
a 250GB OS Drive
a 500GB Storage Drive

my system is running fine, with no issues..

if i plug in my external 400Gb USB Drive Vista recognizes it fine, i am able to use the drive no problem..

if i try to reboot the machine, vista will start to boot up but then freezes in the middle, i've tried ot let it sit for as long as 15 minutes and it never finishes booting up..

but i turn off the USB drive and restart Vista boots up fine.. and then turn the driv eon after booting up and everything works great..

any ideas?

It is actually a common issue, in Xp as well.. Sometimes it can be fixed by changing your boot options in bios.. Set CD to first boot device and HD to second and disable booting from USB or "removable devices"..

i'll try that, the odd thing is it starts booting into vista, i get the vista splash screen and then half way through the little green status bar stops and doesn't move and freezes..

it appears to happen right before it initializes the graphics card (right before you have the screen flicker during bootup)..

i'll try that, the odd thing is it starts booting into vista, i get the vista splash screen and then half way through the little green status bar stops and doesn't move and freezes..

it appears to happen right before it initializes the graphics card (right before you have the screen flicker during bootup)..

I know, that is what is throwing me off as well. I didn't comment before this because I was going to wait and see if changing the BIOS did anything...

But there is no other reason why it is accessing that HDD once it starts loading Vista, so BIOS is the logical reason as to why. But there is no logical reason as to why it starts loading Vista and then tries the HDD.

Back