Vista-which one?

OPUS1

[H]ard|Gawd
Great...
ThankYou MS for giving me differant options of which I don't seam to fit into any.
So do I want the Home brew or do I go the ultimate route?
I play Games, do DAW recording( guitar,piano,vocals,keyboard.....Sonar5)
Bring back the days of DOS!!!!!!
Someone please help the clueless!!!!!!!
Thankyou

how about this: wait until it's released when people are most likely going to be better informed to help you chose. After all, it's about 4-5 months out.

OK,I guess I have to wait...
But based on the link on the front page, I thought that someone might have an idea....
People here at the [H] are chuck full of ideas ;)

Waiting is a good idea. I wish everyone would calm down about Vista. There were several versions of XP, and no one complained. MCE, Tablet, Pro, Home, Retail of some, OEM of others. There are WAY too many people getting their panties in a bunch for no reason, this early. It's really not going to be as bad as it seems.

My idea? Why take a chance, get Ultimate. I bet M$ is betting that down the road you want more functionality and now you buy a whole new OS, so M$ just took your money twice. pwn3d

I think there's plenty enough information available already for people to begin making an assessment about which versions are going to be the ones which suit them.

For people whose computing activities are very basic ones, Vista Home Basic version is going to suit. For the majority of people who want to use Vista as a business tool in a work environment where domain based networking is a priority Vista Business is going to be the most relevent choice.

The difference with Vista is that there are two further retail choices.

Vista Home Premium edition is going to suit those people whose usage is more demanding, because it integrates Media Center functions and other multimedia extras. Vista Ultimate edition is going to suit that smaller group of users who want absolutely everything on the one machine - all the multimedia functions AND the ability to connect to comlex corporate networks!

The only thing I'm really unsure about just yet is whether or not the 'Games centre' is going to be included in the 'Home Premium' version or just the 'Ultimate' version. Not everybody will want to use the included Games centre of course, and games will run perfectly well on machines which don't have it, but for those people who want to use the thing it'll influence their choice.

But I've no doubt that the 'Home Premium' version is going to be the one most home users will want to have.

I'd suspect that, for home users at least, the 'Home Premium' version will be the logical successor to XP Home Edition, XP Media Center Edition AND XP Professional ;)

I'm in for home premium. Not being in IT or business I dont see the need for ultimate.

oh boy..I'm still confused. I just looked at their updated site with the updated prices.

I use XP Pro on 2 pc's here at home and my main uses (suprise) is gaming and some small audio/video work.

I'm going to guess that Vista Home Premium is the same as having XP Pro??

Because "Ultimate Vista" sounds like it has stuff I don't need: all the business stuff. But then again, does that business version INCLUDE (read: wont have to buy again) stuff like MS Works (Powerpoint, Word, Excel,etc), etc??

ack!

any ideas??

I may have missed something, but there's never been talk of bundling Office in with Vista. Sure, it would make things easier, but I'm sure someone, like Corel, would sue.

BlackDragon323 said:
oh boy..I'm still confused. I just looked at their updated site with the updated prices.

ack!

any ideas??

You done said a month full :eek:

wouldn't it be nice if someone made a spreadsheet showing which version has which feature, such as "Can join domain" and "Can host remote desktop sessions".

Naw,
That would be to easy!
I'm willing to bet that all the install disks will have all the options embedded on the disk and by using different activation codes, the diffferent levels of install would be achieved.
What ever happened to KISS ( "KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID?" ) :eek:

OPUS1 said:
Naw,
That would be to easy!
I'm willing to bet that all the install disks will have all the options embedded on the disk and by using different activation codes, the diffferent levels of install would be achieved.
What ever happened to KISS ( "KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID?" ) :eek:
Well that's the way the Betas and RC1 wirk. You're going to be able to upgrade from home basic to home premium to ultimate without having to buy a whole new copy of the OS. You just buy a code that unlocks the additional extras and there you go.

I don't know if it'll let you go from home to business because you'd be losing some features to gain others which might confuse consumers.

For most users, home premium is likely the best fit. If you want RDP, just install VNC instead. I really don't think that ultimate will be worth it for most people, but I'm sure the pirates will love it, and then bitch about crappy activation.

Basic guide:

Home Basic- If you want decent functionality and don't care about Aero.
Home Premium- If you want Aero and MCE functions.
Business- If you want advanced networking functions, like what's provided in XP Pro but not home (including remote access) and don't care about MCE functions.

Ultimate- If you want advanced networking functions (including remote access), like what's provided in XP Pro but not home and do care about MCE functions.

Ignore the other versions. You don't qualify for Enterprise, you'd already know if you did. You don't want to touch Starter with a 10-foot poll and you can't buy it anyways.

According to official MS pricing, the upgrade editions (requires previous Windows CD) are:
$99 Home Basic
$159 Home Premium
$199 Business
$259 Ultimate

And either Ultimate or Business (but more likely Ultimate) will be available for education pricing, but that's not released yet.

:p

still confused...I just want something that's like XP Pro. The "Business" one sounds like it's catered FOR businesses...I don't need that. (I don't understand the MCE you referrenced)

Guess I'll just wait; by that time hopefully there'll be some DX10 vid cards out.
:p

BlackDragon323, the 'MCE' stands for Media Center Edition. It's the overlay used for running the PC as a multimedia center and hooked up to a television or large monitor for music and movie playback, TV watching and recording, home movie playback and so on.

The 'Business' version is 'Business' only in that it omits that feature and includes Domain networking capabilities. It's just like XP Pro. Nothing fancy there to confuse you, so don't get carried away by the sound of the word ;)

After all, if it's off-putting to consider using a 'Business' version for private use, why wasn't it off-putting to consider using a 'Professional' version for private use?

the only 2 usefull ones are
Vista Business
Vista Ultimate

since these are the only ones that can join a domain

you would THINK home preimum could BUT NO

FUCK YOU M$ FUCK YOU for making me have to spend almost 400 bucks on an OS

BlackDragon323 said:

I use XP Pro on 2 pc's here at home and my main uses (suprise) is gaming and some small audio/video work.

I'm going to guess that Vista Home Premium is the same as having XP Pro??

Because "Ultimate Vista" sounds like it has stuff I don't need: all the business stuff. But then again, does that business version INCLUDE (read: wont have to buy again) stuff like MS Works (Powerpoint, Word, Excel,etc), etc??

ack!

any ideas??
well if you dont have real client server network Home Premium will work fine
BUT you cant upgrade from Pro to Vista Home youll have re-install and youll have the Full ver not the upgrade even it you want to do full install

soo to all the ppl running XP Pro the only cheaper upgrade ver that will work are Ultimate and Business

Elios, it's a nonsense to suggest that people have to purchase a full retail copy of their version of choice, rather than an upgrade copy, just because their current XP version can't have an upgrade install run on it during the change from XP to Vista. They can purchase an upgrade version, and pop the XP CD in for verification whilst performing a fresh install, just as you've been able to with all earlier versions of Windows.

If you currently use XP Pro, for example, and want to change to Vista Home Premium. You go buy a Vista Home Premium upgrade disk, you pop it in the drive, delete the current Windows partition and proceed to create a new partition and install a clean instance of Vista. When prompted, you pop the XP CD in the drive, the install routine checks and verifies that "Yep, there's a system install folder there!" and tells you to pop the Vista DVD back in, and the install proceeds without problems. That's the way it's always been.

The install routines simply won't allow you to perform an 'over the top' upgrade install where you're making the change from a domain-join capable installation to a no domian-join capable installation, because that's a dopey thing to do which carries an increased risk of system corruption problems. You can't do an over the top upgrade install when changing from XP MCE to XP Pro either, because of a different set of enhanced risk factors. But you can still use the disks to do a fresh install and verify.

Anyways, doing an over the top upgrade install in any situation whatsoever (even when installing Service Packs) is just downright dopey! Fresh installs are ALWAYS the best option.

:D

Elios said:
for making me have to spend almost 400 bucks on an OS
You'd think the people who could afford a Windows Server licence for their home would be able to afford Vista Ultimate. It's actually going to be about $40 cheaper to get an OEM version of XP Home and the upgrade version of Vista Ultimate if you want to save some money, maybe even cheaper if you can pick up a Win2k license for $50 or so. You know you can just stick with Win2k or XP as well, right.

Elios said:
soo to all the ppl running XP Pro the only cheaper upgrade ver that will work are Ultimate and Business

No, you can buy the upgrade version of any of the Vista flavours and use your XP Pro disc/partition when prompted. It'll do a clean install rather than an upgrade, so you'll have to reinstall your programs and migrate documents, but that's what the file transfer wizard is for, right? I wouldn't really recommend that anyone do an upgrade in place anyway, even with Vista's new way of doing it. It's always better to start fresh imo.

edit: beaten to the punch

IanG said:
You'd think the people who could afford a Windows Server licence for their home would be able to afford Vista Ultimate. It's actually going to be about $40 cheaper to get an OEM version of XP Home and the upgrade version of Vista Ultimate if you want to save some money, maybe even cheaper if you can pick up a Win2k license for $50 or so. You know you can just stick with Win2k or XP as well, right.

No, you can buy the upgrade version of any of the Vista flavours and use your XP Pro disc/partition when prompted. It'll do a clean install rather than an upgrade, so you'll have to reinstall your programs and migrate documents, but that's what the file transfer wizard is for, right? I wouldn't really recommend that anyone do an upgrade in place anyway, even with Vista's new way of doing it. It's always better to start fresh imo.

windows server what? im not running windows server im running SAMBA on a FreeBSD box
THAT WAS FREE well the OS any way i payed 60 bucks for old dell Optiplex P3 600

there are ppl out there that have real networks at home
we have 5 ppl in this house and ever one has more then one PC
then when host LAN partys the number of PC can go up to 30 or more
with a network like that you need a real client server setup

as to sticking with XP unless MS backs off and actuly put DX10 on it im stuck with Vista

Elios said:
FUCK YOU M$ FUCK YOU for making me have to spend almost 400 bucks on an OS

First of all, Business retail is $299. In case you were unaware...that's the exact same retail price as XP Pro. Yes, XP Pro's MSRP is $299. I haven't checked the official numbers, but I suspect that the MSRP on the upgrade versions is the exact same.

Basic upgrade equivalency guide:
Home Basic= XP Home
Home Premium= XP MCE 2006
Business= XP Pro
Ultimate= XP Pro + MCE

That's all there is to it. The "special" features for each one- MCE and XP Pro- are reflected as the "special features" for Home Premium and Business.

If XP Home fills all your needs and you don't care about flip3d, go with Home Basic. If you want a media center and full Aero, go with HP. If you want domain joining and such, go with Business. And if you want all of it together, which you cannot get with a current version of XP...get Ultimate.

masteraleph said:
First of all, Business retail is $299. In case you were unaware...that's the exact same retail price as XP Pro. Yes, XP Pro's MSRP is $299. I haven't checked the official numbers, but I suspect that the MSRP on the upgrade versions is the exact same.

Basic upgrade equivalency guide:
Home Basic= XP Home
Home Premium= XP MCE 2006
Business= XP Pro
Ultimate= XP Pro + MCE

That's all there is to it. The "special" features for each one- MCE and XP Pro- are reflected as the "special features" for Home Premium and Business.

If XP Home fills all your needs and you don't care about flip3d, go with Home Basic. If you want a media center and full Aero, go with HP. If you want domain joining and such, go with Business. And if you want all of it together, which you cannot get with a current version of XP...get Ultimate.

you not getting it i need to be able to join a domain AND i want the MCE stuff
that = Ulimate = 400 bucks

Catweazle said:
BlackDragon323, the 'MCE' stands for Media Center Edition. It's the overlay used for running the PC as a multimedia center and hooked up to a television or large monitor for music and movie playback, TV watching and recording, home movie playback and so on.

The 'Business' version is 'Business' only in that it omits that feature and includes Domain networking capabilities. It's just like XP Pro. Nothing fancy there to confuse you, so don't get carried away by the sound of the word ;)

After all, if it's off-putting to consider using a 'Business' version for private use, why wasn't it off-putting to consider using a 'Professional' version for private use?

Thanks for the explanation..makes more sense now.
:)

The only reason I got XP PRO in the first place was that I was told if I was going to be doing some gaming (with another PC I have ) that PRO had better networking features than home. Maybe I was duped I dunno, but XP PRO suits me just fine.

I guess I'll be getting the Home Premiuim.
:)

Elios said:

You can get the upgrade version of Ultimate for $250, and additional upgrade licenses for $233 each. You don't have to spend the $400 for the regular version.

I'm not into multiplayer gaming myself, but friends who are assure me that they've never had to use Domain join even at LAN activities where 70 or more machines were in use ;)

I'm not really savy here, but what exactly is "joining a domain"? And why is it very important?

natermeister said:
I think I'll be getting the "business" version.

I don't know, but if you ask me
I think we're all getting the "business"
........ version :eek:

nubbin77 said:
I'm not really savy here, but what exactly is "joining a domain"? And why is it very important?
Joining a domain means that the computer can be interated into an Active Directory domain, thereby facilitating such nice things as having the same username + password on all machines and file-sharing permissions that work across all systems + many other things.

drizzt81 said:
Joining a domain means that the computer can be interated into an Active Directory domain, thereby facilitating such nice things as having the same username + password on all machines and file-sharing permissions that work across all systems + many other things.

one of the nice things is private directorys that have a simlink to a webserver
so you have some thing like www.yourdomain.com/~user/index.html
and every one on the network can have there own web page and only has to drop content in to a shared folder only thay (and root) can get at

it also makes setting qoatas nice and easy on a shared fileserver

Elios said:

Wait...so what you're saying is that you want something that doesn't exist with XP, and don't expect to pay more for it, as it's a combination of features? How does that make any sense?

And, as others have said, Ultimate upgrade= $269, retail.

Back