Vista upgrade like retail? or OEM?

DeeFrag

Supreme [H]ardness
Technically since I own a valid copy of Windows XP Pro, I was going to pick up an upgrade version of Vista, however I was wondering which terms and conditions I will have to follow, the Retail version? or the OEM version?

Technically since I own a valid copy of Windows XP Pro, I was going to pick up an upgrade version of Vista, however I was wondering which terms and conditions I will have to follow, the Retail version? or the OEM version?

I would buy the OEM version of Ultimate, why pay extra.
You can install an OEM as a fresh install as many people have posted in this forum.
I have an OEM version of Vista Ultimate and that worked fine when i installed it as a clean install.
Just don't enter the key or download updates when you install it THE FIRST TIME,
once Vista has installed, install Vista from the desktop enter your key when prompt but still do not download the updates until you have finished installing it THE SECOND TIME, then when finished update,install your software, if everything is working when it should, Activate Vista, your done!;)

Don't buy OEM if you plan on upgrading your system, buy the upgrade. The OEM will give you some issues with activating later.

I was complaining to Micro$haft about having to install XP and activate it first instead of just using the XP disk during the Home Premium install like you could do with previous versions. They guy I talked to said to do the following...and it works.

1 - Install your upgrade version of Vista to a blank drive with the upgrade disk, and do not enter a serial number.

2 - Once it's done, access the upgrade DVD through My Computer, and upgrade from there. Enter the serial number and do the upgrade install.

Boom, you have your system ready to go. It takes a bit longer than a single install of a retail copy...but it's a helluva lot cheaper. The MS tech said that was an intentional feature of the OS since they don't plan on supporting XP re-install's and re-activation's after 2010.

I like that that work-around was thought of...I hate that I only have a few more years with XP Pro.

Vista OEM versions can only be installed by doing a clean install. The Vista upgrade versions "clean install" workaround can be found here:

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/winvista_upgrade_clean.asp

This is a better way to install Vista, but people may just tell you to buy the full version of Vista to avoid the hassle.

The only thing you need to know about the Vista OEM versions is that they are tied to one machine. So, whenever upgrading to a new motherboard you will be required to call Microsoft and give them an excuse (motherboard died) in order to get a new product key. Or, just buy another OEM copy of Vista to avoid the call.

Don't buy OEM if you plan on upgrading your system, buy the upgrade. The OEM will give you some issues with activating later.

I was complaining to Micro$haft about having to install XP and activate it first instead of just using the XP disk during the Home Premium install like you could do with previous versions. They guy I talked to said to do the following...and it works.

1 - Install your upgrade version of Vista to a blank drive with the upgrade disk, and do not enter a serial number.

2 - Once it's done, access the upgrade DVD through My Computer, and upgrade from there. Enter the serial number and do the upgrade install.

Boom, you have your system ready to go. It takes a bit longer than a single install of a retail copy...but it's a helluva lot cheaper. The MS tech said that was an intentional feature of the OS since they don't plan on supporting XP re-install's and re-activation's after 2010.

I like that that work-around was thought of...I hate that I only have a few more years with XP Pro.

Gotta question for ya, if you don't like MicroSOFT why do you buy their products then? :)

Sooo....it's sounding like the upgrade version is like the retail in that I can move it from machine to machine or with upgrades without any problem?

I'm familiar with the various workarounds to fresh install with the upgrade version, which is why I was just wondering if the license agreement is like an OEM copy or a retail copy. :D

Thanks.

Sooo....it's sounding like the upgrade version is like the retail in that I can move it from machine to machine or with upgrades without any problem?

I'm familiar with the various workarounds to fresh install with the upgrade version, which is why I was just wondering if the license agreement is like an OEM copy or a retail copy. :D

Thanks.

Exactly! :)

Yes. But if it's like XP, too many activations or hardware changes will eventually require a call to Microsoft.

The OEM license just requires that the single copy that you own stay installed on ONE machine only. So, if upgrading a motherboard, the next install will prompt you to call Microsoft. They simply ask you if you are installing it on another machine and you tell them no. They will then give you a new product key over the phone. It's a bit of a hassle, but you save some money over the retail versions.

ARE YOU BLIND, that's what i said above your thread, you said, don't buy OEM, WHY NOT? i did and installed it on a blank drive and it runs sweet, oh wait, i already explained that didn't i, read before u submit a comment next time.:rolleyes:

You don't need XP already installed on HDD, read my first thread.

Yes. But if it's like XP, too many activations or hardware changes will eventually require a call to Microsoft.

The OEM license just requires that the single copy that you own stay installed on ONE machine only. So, if upgrading a motherboard, the next install will prompt you to call Microsoft. They simply ask you if you are installing it on another machine and you tell them no. They will then give you a new product key over the phone. It's a bit of a hassle, but you save some money over the retail versions.

You save a lot of money over the retail buying OEM instead.:D

I'll be dual booting on my backup linux machine for now just for kicks, then possibly moving it to one of my laptops while i'm working overseas for a year (desktops are going to stay at parents' house), then when I come back I'll move it to my main machine and put linux on the laptop. OEM might be a lot of hassle. I think I'll stick with the upgrade version. A nice $120 discount for full retail benefits. :D

oh yah, and the upgrade costs $50 more than OEM but comes with both 32 and 64 bit versions. With OEM it's one or the other.

Back