Vista Ultimate all messed up...will repair install leave programs/files intact?

SocceRich20

2[H]4U
Essentially, my install of Vista on my laptop has gone to hell. Windows Mobile Device Center is all screwed up, my wireless connection constantly says "Limited or No Connectivity" even though it is connected fully and works. I also get the occasional failed boot. I want to just do a repair install of the OS, but wanted to know a specific question. I have very important e-mails and such on the machine, if I simply do a repair install, will Outlook and all my other stuff still be the way I had it before the repair install?

Yes, a windows repair install only messes with the core OS files, it does not tamper with your local profiles.

if its able to boot now, just in a funky state, why not boot it up..and back up that stuff thats critical first before doing the repair...thats what I would do, if the machine was functional enough to do so... generally, the repair things will not hurt the data, but if its critical...and you can still get into it..I would do that first.

also, if you have Ultimate..i suggest , once its fully functional again, using the "complete pc back up" option the system restore. It basically makes a complete "ghost" like image..I have successfully restored from one of those to a bare metal machine! Its great! Better (imho) than buying a ghost like product if you are just doing this machine..its already there and free! but it only works if you have taken the time ( I do mine monthly - generally ) to make and store those created images! Which reminds me..time to make a new one myself!

Back