Vista to be discontinued in 2008?

Fact of the matter is, people might *think* they have safe system, but the really bugger virii are the ones that don't show themselves unless the computer is not being used. Then it starts transmitting all of your logged bank account information over the internet.

I already said that I don't think I have a safe system.
And I also said that I do scan with a web-based scanner from time to time. Which never finds anything (well, except a false positive on my own code).

IMO taking 10 mins (because that is ALL the "screwing around" you have to do with it- on a modern system the resource usage is a non-issue) is entirely worth it.

You say it correctly, in YOUR opinion. But we already knew your opinion. I was just expressing MY opinion, and I don't see why people keep responding to this, saying I *must* use a scanner, which makes me feel that I have to defend my opinion, just because it's not a common opinion.

Wouldn't wearing a seatbelt, using your airbags, AND driving carefully minimize that risk even more?

Depends on what you consider those things to be.
Now I know how Windows works, inside and out. I know what safety features are already inside the OS. I know that for me, a permanently running AV scanner adds very little, which I've already explained above.
No offense, but in my opinion AV scanners have been pretty much useless since the first flavours of NT, and they're mostly cashing in on people who need it because they don't know how to operate their PC... or people who fear that they might get infected, but for irrational reasons. Some of you sound like you can't sleep at night if you don't use AV software. Perhaps you should think about why that is, rather than telling others they should too.

Bottom line is, AV scanners are a personal thing. Some people need them more than others. And for some people it's more annoying for others. It's all about what you do with your PC. I don't want them, don't question me, don't try to convince me. I've been using computers on a daily basis since the mid 80s. I know what to expect. I know I'm not 100% safe, I know I *could* lose my data. That's why I keep backups. Also, I know that even with all AV software in the world, you're still not 100% safe. Did you know that?
Do you also realize that you don't NEED to be 100% safe to use a computer? That it is possible to have a system where a virus can't steal any important personal info because it simply isn't on the PC, and that a virus may well destroy the data on the PC, but there are backups, so there's no problem?

besides a virus scanner only helps if you get a virus. I use on-demand scanning for questionable files, but there is no need otherwise. If you notice something fishy maybe a system scan may be in order, but nothing on a daily, weekly, or even monthly basis for me.

those of you that think that people can just "break in" to your computer have clearly been watching too many movies. To alleviate your tinfoil hat syndrome may I direct you to 5 Things Hollywood Thinks Computers Can Do

These botnets, massive phishing operations, ebay frauds, illegal remote access to your pc are all do to ignorance on the part of the user. So get learned and take off your funny looking hat

sorry guys. but do i hear correctly, is vista going to be discontinued, is the op correct or is he how should i put it... CRAZY?:)

However, why do that when the OS can do the same functions? Decrease the need for even needing applications, and come up with a nice all-in-one package.
That reduces applications to what we largely see now... Dreamweaver, Photoshop, etc... additional TOOLS rather than needs.

HUH? big difference in integrating functions and having your OS take up 500mb of memory... with a good chunk going into snazzy animations and transparent effects.. woohoo, look at my productivity RISING What new features does that 500mb of ram give me over XP ? DRM, UAP ? i'm not seeing any

And this would be where some of your credibility goes out the window...
Before I could even begin to reply to that statement, I would need to know YOUR definition of a "secure network".
What is one huge component of a "secure network"??? The workstations!!! And where does workstation security start??? That's right...

If you need vista's added security in order to properly secure your workstations, then you have little hope in the IT field.

HUH? big difference in integrating functions and having your OS take up 500mb of memory... with a good chunk going into snazzy animations and transparent effects.. woohoo,
Before starting an argument with zacdl, it would be to your benefit to take some time into reading what Vista is doing with that memory, and why it is a plus. You paid for system memory, and now that a Windows OS is doing more to utilize it, you're complaining? See what superfetch and all that jazz is about before complaining about memory usage.

Also, about those snazzy animations....those are handled by the GPU, which is why Aero has the requirements it does. For the first time, eye-candy isn't being powered by the CPU, which again, is a benefit.

HUH? big difference in integrating functions and having your OS take up 500mb of memory... with a good chunk going into snazzy animations and transparent effects.. woohoo, look at my productivity RISING What new features does that 500mb of ram give me over XP ? DRM, UAP ? i'm not seeing any

If you need vista's added security in order to properly secure your workstations, then you have little hope in the IT field.

You are wrong.

With comments like yours, the IT field has little hope with you in it.

Before starting an argument with zacdl, it would be to your benefit to take some time into reading what Vista is doing with that memory, and why it is a plus. You paid for system memory, and now that a Windows OS is doing more to utilize it, you're complaining? See what superfetch and all that jazz is about before complaining about memory usage.

Also, about those snazzy animations....those are handled by the GPU, which is why Aero has the requirements it does. For the first time, eye-candy isn't being powered by the CPU, which again, is a benefit.

Yeah I noticed that Vista is doing a lot with my memory, including dumping the memory cache in middle of gaming and causing 1-2 second freezes randomly. So much for superfetch.. Oh and the bootup takes forever because SF has to load the ram full of junk, that's why Vista accesses the HD for 5 or so minutes after initial bootscreen when it's supposedly 'booted up'. This is just more eye candy, you'll notice the penalty when trying to open an app right from initial desktop. It takes forever and then some.

The more I use Vista the more I'm convinced it's targeted towards a computer illiterate novice user who uses 2-3 apps regularly. For that kind of target group it's an improvement I'll give it that. For powerusers and enthusiast gamers it's a PITA.

Now, if Vista business would skip all the unnecessary BS and work like XP, I could live with the major concessions made towards the noobs in the home version. In fact I think it would be even good that way. Of course this still wouldn't fix the major interoperativity problems in mixed networks etc. annoyances but that's another story.

Back