Vista 'test' release build 5728 - now public

gtjr_ph said:

A: It's the Inquirer...

and if that wasn't bad enough

B: It's Fuad... I swear that guy must have to ask for assistance in tieing his own shoelaces, and half the time he's still tripping all over himself. :p

But needless to say he appeared to be attempting an upgrade instead of a clean install. It's pretty well known that upgrading with Vista is hit or miss. :)

i upgraded from beta 2 to rc1 5600 and from 5600 to 5728, no formating, no problems. just luck, i guess.

Same here.
I updated from 5536 to RC1(5600) and from 5600 to 5728 without any problems...

I even got all the stuff to work that I wanted:
- CloneDVD
- Avast Antivirus
- Nero Lite 7.2.7.0

Just reinstalled 5728 brom a DVD+R and it went fine. Last time I just copied the sources to the partition I wanted and ran setup. Now Vista 5728 ts the only OS on my system for the time being. (have 30GB reserved for Linux)

DT will work with the 5600 cdrom.sys, you must turn off uac befor you replace cdrom.sys, and then install DT, after everythign is installed, reactivate uac and your all set.

I stay in Vista as much as I can, I still need XP for some software like Lightscribe, DVD ripping, etc. And since I have taken a break from gaming for a bit, I sold my 7900GT and am using a P.O.S. pci-e 6200LE, let me tell you, even the 3DFlip function is choppy.....might have to buy something a bit better to fully keep the 3d desktop smooth....

Vista 5728 here via the CPP.

OC_LeGeND said:
i wonder why there trying to rush this out though

Because Steve Ballmer has been hammered by investors over the multiple delays that Vista and the next Office have suffered.

And you used "there" incorrectly.

I am about to install vista on a 3500+ 939 pc with an ati x850xt will this video card be fine?

Yea itll be just fine, you're specs are about in line with the machine in my sig. And I'm currently posting this from Vista 5728 which is running perfectly with all the gui options turned on.

luke51087 said:
I am about to install vista on a 3500+ 939 pc with an ati x850xt will this video card be fine?
yeah that card will be fine i`m using a radeon 9600XT and runs vista with all the features just fine

I'm pretty excited about vista's final release. I REALLY hope that 64bit works as well as 32bit seems to be working. When it does come out (i havent been running anyt vista's since beta 2, still have that on dual boot) i think im going to finally buy another 2x 320gig hard drives and another 2 gigs of ram.

Is there a 64 bit of this build and are any of you guys using it?

tskiller said:
I'm pretty excited about vista's final release. I REALLY hope that 64bit works as well as 32bit seems to be working. When it does come out (i havent been running anyt vista's since beta 2, still have that on dual boot) i think im going to finally buy another 2x 320gig hard drives and another 2 gigs of ram.

Is there a 64 bit of this build and are any of you guys using it?

I don't understand. You're still running 5384? And have not tried 5472 5536 5600 or 5728? If so you are missing out. Beta 2 (5384) was by far the worst of the public releases.

But yes there is a 64bit version, but I'm not running itt. There's a link on the first or second page of this thread linking to the 64bit download site.

ryan_975 said:
I don't understand. You're still running 5384? And have not tried 5472 5536 5600 or 5728? If so you are missing out. Beta 2 (5384) was by far the worst of the public releases.

But yes there is a 64bit version, but I'm not running itt. There's a link on the first or second page of this thread linking to the 64bit download site.

Its in my boot manager, but i dont actually use it :p

I'm kind of waiting for 64bit version to work well. I should do a reformat, its about time, but when i do it i kind of want it to be perminant, ala final release.

tskiller said:
Its in my boot manager, but i dont actually use it :p

I'm kind of waiting for 64bit version to work well. I should do a reformat, its about time, but when i do it i kind of want it to be perminant, ala final release.

Well, it's not going ot be available until January. Plus 64-bit won't be well supported until more than 3gigs of RAM becomes common place. IMHO there's just not much benefit to running 64bit if you have 3gigs or less RAM anyway.

I will say that by itself 64bit Vista is fairly smooth, I just ran in to problems with non MS software.

Anyone know if my ATI theater 550 pro PCI E 1x tv card will work with the MCE in this new release? I will probably be installing it on my secondary pc (not in my sig) this week

3500+ 939
2x512 ddr400 at 2-2-2-5
74gb raptor as primary drive
250 gb as secondary drive
dvd burner
x850xt pci x16

and the TV card, kinda wanted to throw this together to get MCE working with vista and to test it all out at once, if anyone has this tv card and Vista 5728 let me know if it works

luke51087 said:
Anyone know if my ATI theater 550 pro PCI E 1x tv card will work with the MCE in this new release? I will probably be installing it on my secondary pc (not in my sig) this week

3500+ 939
2x512 ddr400 at 2-2-2-5
74gb raptor as primary drive
250 gb as secondary drive
dvd burner
x850xt pci x16

and the TV card, kinda wanted to throw this together to get MCE working with vista and to test it all out at once, if anyone has this tv card and Vista 5728 let me know if it works

I haven't tried Media Center in 5728, but in 5600 it was really hit and miss getting to work all the time.

hey are you guys and gals grabbing the 32 bit version or the 64 bit version. i have both but i'm not sure which to install. thanks.

lodingi said:
hey are you guys and gals grabbing the 32 bit version or the 64 bit version. i have both but i'm not sure which to install. thanks.

I installed the 32bit version. tried the 64bit while in Beta2, but had too many problems.

Has it improved to the point where it is able to be your main OS??

I havent tried it since i got my beta 1 cd, and i thought they were going to send me a free cd automatically when the RC1 came out but i guess not.

I dont game, but have tons of software i need to install

Headbust said:
Has it improved to the point where it is able to be your main OS??

I havent tried it since i got my beta 1 cd, and i thought they were going to send me a free cd automatically when the RC1 came out but i guess not.

I dont game, but have tons of software i need to install

I've said this several times, but I'm not sure I mentioned it here, I've been using it as my primary OS since 5536 came out, with few problems

Ok, sorry for sounding like a complete newbie here but I have a few questions about Vista Beta2/RC1. I will admit that I haven't read through this whole thread, just kind of skimmed through it so I may have missed the answers to my questions.

If I download this beta/rc build, where do I get a key?

If I download this beta/rc build, how long does the liscense last? I mean, will I have to go out and buy an actual commercial version once it's released or does the liscense last for one year or what?

I have a compaq persario laptop with the following basic configuration..
AMD XP3200+
80GB HD
512MB RAM
Currently running Windows XP Home

Would Vista run on this? How well might it run? Currently I only have this laptop and my desktop pc. I don't want to install it on my desktop just yet but I am really wanting to see what Vista is like so far so I thought that maybe my laptop would be a good place to try it out.

Paithar said:
Ok, sorry for sounding like a complete newbie here but I have a few questions about Vista Beta2/RC1. I will admit that I haven't read through this whole thread, just kind of skimmed through it so I may have missed the answers to my questions.

If I download this beta/rc build, where do I get a key?

If I download this beta/rc build, how long does the liscense last? I mean, will I have to go out and buy an actual commercial version once it's released or does the liscense last for one year or what?

I have a compaq persario laptop with the following basic configuration..
AMD XP3200+
80GB HD
512MB RAM
Currently running Windows XP Home

Would Vista run on this? How well might it run? Currently I only have this laptop and my desktop pc. I don't want to install it on my desktop just yet but I am really wanting to see what Vista is like so far so I thought that maybe my laptop would be a good place to try it out.

Vista will run on that. But you'll probably just get the basic Aero look. Not the Glass effects, 3d flip, or anything else that requires a 3d accelerator.

I'm not sure if you can still get a key from MS, but you might be able to. Go to http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista and click on Try Windows Vista.

The license is good until June 2007.

I just received the RC1 Dvds from MS and I am debating on whether or not to install this. How accurate is the Windows Vista Upgrade advisor ? If its correct I only have two apps to worry about. If its completely out of whack then well no Vista for me. My PC is primarily used for Gaming and I am running a X1900 crossfire setup.

Also, am i correct in assuming you can upgrade from XP to this.

Kuma said:
I just received the RC1 Dvds from MS and I am debating on whether or not to install this. How accurate is the Windows Vista Upgrade advisor ? If its correct I only have two apps to worry about. If its completely out of whack then well no Vista for me. My PC is primarily used for Gaming and I am running a X1900 crossfire setup.

You definitely don't want to upgrade your primary machine with Vista right now, especially if you are running Crossfire and plan to game. This is just a beta OS, and not the final product. You should either dual boot, or use a spare machine.

djnes said:
You definitely don't want to upgrade your primary machine with Vista right now, especially if you are running Crossfire and plan to game. This is just a beta OS, and not the final product. You should either dual boot, or use a spare machine.

Its not that serious to me.. I need stability more than anything and I can see my wife booting into vista and messing something up
:mad:

Kuma said:
Its not that serious to me.. I need stability more than anything and I can see my wife booting into vista and messing something up
:mad:
If you turn off UAP (UAC?) and make her an admin member then yeah something could go wrong. I have an account for my 3 year old and my wife and so far no problems, of course YMMV.

Kuma said:

Don't upgrade. Do a clean installation. If you install it on the same drive as XP, Vista setup will save your XP Windows, Program Files, and Documents and Settings folders under Windows.old

I may install it on my second harddrive just to test out but am pretty leary about running this.
I'll clone my primary drive and install Vista. If it works ok then I'll keep it.

Why are you leary?
Dual boot, that way you can still use xp as normal and see what Vista is at the same time.
If your concerned about your wife messing something up, just set a log in password for Vista, and that way she'll have to boot into XP.

Or, just wait until January or so, and install the finished product.

Don't setup the wife's account as part of the Administrators group and you should be fine even if you turn off the UAC. System Restore works very well and will reverse the changes if she somehow manages to screw things up.

I've read of some people doing a dual boot with Vista and XP, does the Vista install give you this option if it detects that you already have XP installed? If not, how do you go about doing a dual boot between Vista and XP?

The reason I ask is because I'm thinking of going the daul boot route on my laptop, providing I can still get myself a key for Vista RC1.

Paithar said:
I've read of some people doing a dual boot with Vista and XP, does the Vista install give you this option if it detects that you already have XP installed? If not, how do you go about doing a dual boot between Vista and XP?

The reason I ask is because I'm thinking of going the daul boot route on my laptop, providing I can still get myself a key for Vista RC1.
You need to have some open, unallocated space on your hard drive. Then, when you install Visa, you point the installer to that unallocated space. The rest is done for you.

By installing from launching in XP it gave me the boot menu with XP in it automatically. Ever since though I've just switched HDD order in the BIOS so I don't have to deal with getting the XP Partition back without the bootloader when I get rid of Vista.

Back