Vista 'test' release build 5728 - now public

ShadowDragon said:
By installing from launching in XP it gave me the boot menu with XP in it automatically. Ever since though I've just switched HDD order in the BIOS so I don't have to deal with getting the XP Partition back without the bootloader when I get rid of Vista.

huh?

ryan_975 said:

If you launch the vista install from inside XP, it automatically gives you a boot menu including Vista and XP.

I'd prefer not to have the bootloader on my (Primary) XP partition, and the (albeit minor) headache of removing it later on, or having to be at the computer during a reboot if I want to run the secondary OS, (Reboots are good times for potty breaks) so now I just switch the HDD boot order in the bios to make either the XP or Vista drive the boot device.

Does anyone know if open gl is even supported in Vista? i know i tried an old game counterstrike 1.6 but when selecting open gl it crashes and says video mode not supported, on the other had the direct 3d option works, i have the newest x850xt ati drivers

digital_exhaust said:
Why are you leary?
Dual boot, that way you can still use xp as normal and see what Vista is at the same time.
If your concerned about your wife messing something up, just set a log in password for Vista, and that way she'll have to boot into XP.

Or, just wait until January or so, and install the finished product.
dual booting killed my other HD , All the problems started happening after vista was installed, I did everything to correct the problem and went back to XP itself only after formatting the entire drive a few times, Had to buy a new HD in the thats why im not going to dual boot it again.

Its all for one if i install it again

Headbust said:
dual booting killed my other HD , All the problems started happening after vista was installed, I did everything to correct the problem and went back to XP itself only after formatting the entire drive a few times, Had to buy a new HD in the thats why im not going to dual boot it again.

Its all for one if i install it again

methinks you had a bad drive that coincidentally went bad when you installed Vista on it.

luke51087 said:
Does anyone know if open gl is even supported in Vista? i know i tried an old game counterstrike 1.6 but when selecting open gl it crashes and says video mode not supported, on the other had the direct 3d option works, i have the newest x850xt ati drivers
I tried Quake 4 and it didn't work, could see menu while pressing alt-tab but when release it screen goes black, but now Open GL and DirectX, I instaled Google Earth and Open GL mode work perfectly but DirectX mode didn't work at all it crushed.

5728, like Pre-RC1 and like the final build that's coming out soon, is only a limited number of users, once that number is hit, the download is gone.

1337meeting said:
the 5728 release page directed me to the RC1 page, where can i get the 5728 now?

Just wait until Friday (I think), and grab RC2.

If you don't have a key, you'll need one.

If RC2 doesnt fix a couple of minor issues I think I am going toh ave to go back to running XP for awhile. Its driving me nuts that I cant get my ATI drivers to work on here because the vid card staying in full power mode has dropped battery life almost 2 hours. I would love to see HP get the rest of my drivers out too but hey, not holding my breath on that one. A little stability would be nice though at this point. Oh and sleep mode working correctly.

im one of the early users of vista, i just havent been keeping up. :p

i dont even have RC1 installed.

digital_exhaust said:
Just wait until Friday (I think), and grab RC2.

If you don't have a key, you'll need one.

is RC2 coming out already? would that be the final build until the release of vista?

Usually, with Microsoft, after RC2 comes out, there are some incremental updates, and the code is further cleaned and optimized, before it goes Gold.

djnes said:
Usually, with Microsoft, after RC2 comes out, there are some incremental updates, and the code is further cleaned and optimized, before it goes Gold.

But will they be publicly available?

Can someone recommend a good free antivirus program that actually works with build 5728......

Thanks!

ShadowDragon said:
If you launch the vista install from inside XP, it automatically gives you a boot menu including Vista and XP.

I'd prefer not to have the bootloader on my (Primary) XP partition, and the (albeit minor) headache of removing it later on, or having to be at the computer during a reboot if I want to run the secondary OS, (Reboots are good times for potty breaks) so now I just switch the HDD boot order in the bios to make either the XP or Vista drive the boot device.
Regardless of how you installed Vista, it's still going to alter the boot loader on your primary hard drive. That's the nature of dual booting. If you had booted from the Vista DVD and loaded Vista, you still would have been given a choice of which Os to boot from via the bootmenu...unless you install Vista overtop of XP.

djnes said:
Regardless of how you installed Vista, it's still going to alter the boot loader on your primary hard drive. That's the nature of dual booting. If you had booted from the Vista DVD and loaded Vista, you still would have been given a choice of which Os to boot from via the bootmenu...unless you install Vista overtop of XP.

Vista will install the bootloader on the primary hard drive. If he's switching them in BIOS, then it won't touch the XP install since it's not the booting drive.

ryan_975 said:
Vista will install the bootloader on the primary hard drive. If he's switching them in BIOS, then it won't touch the XP install since it's not the booting drive.

I think I did that, and it still put the bootloader on my XP Drive, but I'll allow for the possibility that I forgot to switch it in the bios.

That said, if you want to avoid the bootloader, simply disconnect your XP drive, make your Vista drive the primary drive and install. After that, you should be able to switch back and forth in the bios.

ryan_975 said:

Ding. Changing the boot order in the BIOS makes the Vista drive primary and it won't touch the XP (which is now secondary). Just for clarification
c: SATA channel 1 - XP
d: PATA channel 1 Master - Vista
e: SATA Channel 2 - Games
f/g: PATA channel 1 Slave - work/downloads

so I can easily change between one of three "master" drives if I so wish.

Back