Vista 'test' release build 5728 - now public

hi i just got build 5728 yesterday i like it better it seems to run faster than 5600 and handling programs better except i havent found a antivirus for it if anyone knows if one please let me know thanks but anyways i have a 160 gb harddrive and 96 mb video card getting a 128 for my birthday in 2 weeks yay lol but it runs things faster love it.

Within a month and a half. microsoft sent me 2 vista disks. They must be desperate.

Im about to install it. Need to stop wasting my ty dvdrs with all these updates =( lol.

Fyi for those downloading the new build on a RC1 system. fuking virual folders :mad:

ufot said:
Im about to install it. Need to stop wasting my ty dvdrs with all these updates =( lol.

Fyi for those downloading the new build on a RC1 system. fuking virual folders :mad:

extract the files into a folder and run the setup, it will update just fine without burning to dvd, thats all I did

anyone know of a antivirus working good with vista 5728 if so please let me know thanks dont think i would need one but just in case thanks ;)

thanks gonna try and i will repost when i have tested it and let u know the verdict lol

so far so good avg beta 7.5 is working but the key is only good till october 31, 2006 then u have to buy one or get another program unless ur in the beta program for avg which i signed up for

Is there a torrent available? I'm having problems downloading big files with my connection, but torrents seem to work fine.

rwmisner said:
thanks gonna try and i will repost when i have tested it and let u know the verdict lol

Just out of curiousity, how are you going to "try" it?
Download corrupt files with a beta os, on purpose, and attempt to use a beta antivirus program to clear it up for you??

Hehe.. I'm just playin'...:D

But seriously.. I think the only reason that it loads with no problems is because Vista is beta, and AVG 7.5 is beta.. 5728 was likely finished before 7.5 was, or it was never tested for compatibility issues, and therefore Vista allows it to load.

Anyhoooo, I'll be waiting to hear your results...

hey i downloaded it and tryed it works good only thing the key u get for it only lasts till 10/31/06 but it let me sign up for the beta program for avg so i did maybe they will come out with more betas or longer licenses. after u install it u have to update it and then restart it tells u that ur antivirus is out of date untill u restart it. good luck if u try it but my vista is running fine with it.

digital_exhaust said:
Just out of curiousity, how are you going to "try" it?
Download corrupt files with a beta os, on purpose, and attempt to use a beta antivirus program to clear it up for you??

Hehe.. I'm just playin'...:D

But seriously.. I think the only reason that it loads with no problems is because Vista is beta, and AVG 7.5 is beta.. 5728 was likely finished before 7.5 was, or it was never tested for compatibility issues, and therefore Vista allows it to load.

Anyhoooo, I'll be waiting to hear your results...

I had to clean install 5728. I tried the upgrade but hit a wall trying to get my Audigy 4 Pro to work. The driver just would not install. I tried all of the usual tricks, extracting the files, installing as Administrator, Run As, running the driver setup portion seperately since the Audio Console installed without a problem. Nothing worked so I had to backup my data and trash that install.

This version is much faster than build 5728 in all areas. I'm just now getting around to installing drivers for everything, then comes the Apps.

By the way, Daemon tools 4.0.6 has been released: http://www.daemon-tools.cc/dtcc/announcements.php and claims to be Vista compatible.

GEAR software has a DVD burning app for Vista that you can try out for 30 days. I used it on my borked 5728 installation to burn the Vista image so I could do the clean install. You can get it here: http://www.gearsoftware.com/support/burn-cd-windows-vista.cfm

i just did my upgrade from 5600 to 5728 and everything worked flawlessly. I'm using avast corporate AV and it works fine load times are significantly improved and window display rendering is no longer delayed. Overall a nice extra for RC1

Jstamsek said:
Did not work for me.
I know what the problem is

5728 cdrom.sys in your Windows\System32\drivers directory IS CORRUPTED
5600 cdrom.sys however is not.

Even if you tried to copy the 5600 version, Windows still refuses you to allow you to copy/overwrite the file in the drivers directory. Changing permissions to allow you to do so is also denied. I'm dumbfounded at how to get around this.

These guys at Daemon-Tools are having success installing it on Vista 5600 instead of Vista 5728.

Alright, an update regarding the DT 4.0.6 / cdrom.sys. Even if you replaced 5728 cdrom.sys with the 5600 cdrom.sys It does not fix the problem. You will have to use Vista 5600 in order to use Daemon-Tools or any other emulator of the kind.

rwmisner said:
anyone know of a antivirus working good with vista 5728 if so please let me know thanks dont think i would need one but just in case thanks ;)

The newest free Avast home is working just fine for me on 5728. One year key, go back and get another one next year.

Did you get any "known compatibility issues" warnings during the install? I tried Avast home right after AVG wouldn't install correctly, and got warning pop-ups.

Heck I just got around to downloading and installing RC1 last week. I guess I'll pass on this one.

With all the public beta testing with this OS I probably wouldn't be as reluctant to get this OS when it goes gold. I normally recommend waiting for the first service pack. I need to stay familiar with OS's since my work involves that. Only problem I foresee is driver support for some stuff. Remember when XP came out it took almost a year for a lot of vendors to get drivers for their hardware. I don't think I'll install it on my home pc since I prefer to have as much free memory and cpu cycles as possible for gaming. I'll probably get a few systems in at work so I can play. Or maybe I'll get the wife a new pc with it installed. Let her be the guinea pig. :)

I have just spent couple of hours with 5728. Well it is a nice system (for beta), stable so far, very eye candy, but I am disapoint with 3D Aero. It' s working properly but I expected more (is everything just rotating?). About 85% of my software is ok, except Nero 7.5.1.1, Daemon 4.06, WinDVD 7, ofcourse didn't even try to install NOD32 or ZoneAlarm (instead AVG and Win FireWall), Everest is working fine, Ewido doesn't and what about NVIDIA Control Panel..it's not available?? And the worst thing is when I tried to defragment - nowhere to see progres??? In 98, in XP you are able to se it, why not here too???
ps: if you see that some of this stuff are my mystake please correct me, thanks

gvlada said:
I have just spent couple of hours with 5728. Well it is a nice system (for beta), stable so far, very eye candy, but I am disapoint with 3D Aero. It' s working properly but I expected more (is everything just rotating?). About 85% of my software is ok, except Nero 7.5.1.1, Daemon 4.06, WinDVD 7, ofcourse didn't even try to install NOD32 or ZoneAlarm (instead AVG and Win FireWall), Everest is working fine, Ewido doesn't and what about NVIDIA Control Panel..it's not available?? And the worst thing is when I tried to defragment - nowhere to see progres??? In 98, in XP you are able to se it, why not here too???
ps: if you see that some of this stuff are my mystake please correct me, thanks

Theres a new version of Daemon Tools that came out today and it's said to fully support Vista.

Exactly, I downloaded it today. Daemon 4.06 it works with Vista, cool just hour before start to install 5728, then it did istall but no virtual drives were there and Vista colected few problems and send them to MS. So much about compatibile D tools.

I know you are all looking for free utilities but PowerISO works very well for drive emulation. It's a 30day trial. Who knows, a 5728 compatible version of D-Tools might be released during that time! If you really need virtual drives this will do it for ya. I am able to mount my images just fine in Vista 5728. I don't know how well it works for "Backed up" games. There haven't been any nag messages using the tray app or shell integration. Launching the full program will notify you about it being a trial copy.

5728>5600 in every way. I love it. By the end of 2007, they are supposed to release a massive kernel upgrade with the first service pack. It's already snappier than Win2003 with all of the eye candy and indexing going on. I'm definately in line for a copy when it comes out!

Is this really for people who only have a beta key? in which case why did they release it to "everyone"

also when you install does it give option for dual boot?

DeFex said:
Is this really for people who only have a beta key? in which case why did they release it to "everyone"

also when you install does it give option for dual boot?
When you download it, MS sends you a key in an E-mail. I only did clean installs, but there is an option there for dual boot. If you activate it, you get to use it til June2007 You can also use it on up to 10 pcs with the same key.

oh, i just ckicked a link on ms site and it did not ask me for an email address. it just downloaded an ISO

TheNuker said:
Theres a new version of Daemon Tools that came out today and it's said to fully support Vista.
gvlada said:
Exactly, I downloaded it today. Daemon 4.06 it works with Vista, cool just hour before start to install 5728, then it did istall but no virtual drives were there and Vista colected few problems and send them to MS. So much about compatibile D tools.
Only for Vista 5600. If you read up. 5728 cdrom.sys is corrupted.

I just installed Vista RC1 build 5728 64 bit today. I chose a fresh install on a new partition. There were no problems with the install. I installed the latest beta forceware drivers and the beta Creative driver. The Creative driver generated some pop up messages due to Windows thinking it was an insecure driver. I just clicked through them and the installation completed successfully. So far, web browsing works fine and I'm not seeing any slow downs or stuttering. I'm using Firefox with no issues. My next step will be to install Half-Life 2 Episode 1 and see if it's playable.

Specs:
A64 3500+, 6800GT, 1GB RAM, MSI K8N Neo2, Soundblaster XtremeMusic, Seagate 7200.10 320GB hard drive
Edit: My Windows experience rating is 4.1

ViriiK said:
Only for Vista 5600. If you read up. 5728 cdrom.sys is corrupted.
Follow the below instructions from the Daemon Tools bug report forum and you will be just fine. I finally got around to trying it out and it works just fine. I can mount images, basically using it like I always have in WinXP&2003. Changing the drive letter assignments for the virtual drives functions properly and my Plextor drive still works properly with the version 5600 cdrom.sys driver.

You can find the link to the driver file in a post by Fronter here: http://www.daemon-tools.cc/dtcc/t13932-p-just-tried-406-on-vista-5728.html

He mentions that he isn't sure about the necessity of the second step. I did both steps on my computer. It seemed like the sensible thing to do. I don't think having version mismatches is such a great idea IMHO.

Instructions (from Daemon forum post):
=========
I installed DT 4.06, which worked fine, just was never able to create a drive letter. Restarted the system. Still no help of course.

Navigate to \Windows\System32\Drivers. Right click on cdrom.sys, go into properties, then advance settings, change ownership to me. Close these windows, then right click on cdrom.sys again. Give myself full read/write access to the file. Close the windows again and finally rename the file to cdrom.old. Now copy over the older cdrom.sys file from Vista build 5600.

I don't know if this next step is necessary, but it may be why the steps work for some people and not others.

Navigate to \Windows\System32\DrvierStore\FileRepository. There will be a directory called cdrom.inf_{string}. Use the above steps to take ownership of the directory, and make it read/write aceessible from your account. Open the directory and take ownership of cdrom.sys if you need to. Delete this file. Copy over the cdrom.sys file from build 5600. Close all windows. Reboot. DT should automatically start and assign a drive letter for you.

tesfaye said:
Follow the below instructions from the Daemon Tools bug report forum and you will be just fine. I finally got around to trying it out and it works just fine. I can mount images, basically using it like I always have in WinXP&2003. Changing the drive letter assignments for the virtual drives functions properly and my Plextor drive still works properly with the version 5600 cdrom.sys driver.

You can find the link to the driver file in a post by Fronter here: http://www.daemon-tools.cc/dtcc/t13932-p-just-tried-406-on-vista-5728.html

He mentions that he isn't sure about the necessity of the second step. I did both steps on my computer. It seemed like the sensible thing to do. I don't think having version mismatches is such a great idea IMHO.

Instructions (from Daemon forum post):
=========
I installed DT 4.06, which worked fine, just was never able to create a drive letter. Restarted the system. Still no help of course.

Navigate to \Windows\System32\Drivers. Right click on cdrom.sys, go into properties, then advance settings, change ownership to me. Close these windows, then right click on cdrom.sys again. Give myself full read/write access to the file. Close the windows again and finally rename the file to cdrom.old. Now copy over the older cdrom.sys file from Vista build 5600.

I don't know if this next step is necessary, but it may be why the steps work for some people and not others.

Navigate to \Windows\System32\DrvierStore\FileRepository. There will be a directory called cdrom.inf_{string}. Use the above steps to take ownership of the directory, and make it read/write aceessible from your account. Open the directory and take ownership of cdrom.sys if you need to. Delete this file. Copy over the cdrom.sys file from build 5600. Close all windows. Reboot. DT should automatically start and assign a drive letter for you.

That second step is necessary because Vista will see that the version of cdrom.sys is not what it's suppose to be and try to copy a backup from it driver store. Windows File Protection basically.

I had to go back to 5600, 5728 wouldn't let remote desktop connect (I don't use the default port, and had it set up just like I have XP and 5600 set up, permissions, firewall, registry etc), and then after about an hour of chatting/surfing/e-mail it dropped the tcp connection entirely and wouldn't bring it back until a reboot.

gurgle said:
how is gaming with vista? should i install it over win xp x64?

5600 worked fine for me, although SC4 had issues until I updated it to the latest patch.
However, Vista doesn't let some games save settings across sessions. I think it has to do with it not letting programs write the the Program Files folder. It's a pain for me.

I haven't tried 5728 on gaimes yet.

Back