Vista 'test' release build 5728 - now public

from what I have read microsoft is still trying to get vista out to business by late october. If they are going to make that deadline they are gonna have to push out builds for rc1 as soon as they can to get feedback on them and get it working smoothly because they probably wont have time to get an rc2 out and will have to go directly to a final product.

That is entirely speculation off what I have read though. I could see them doing it and then having a bunch of critical updates the first couple months vista is released

hoping for K8 motherboard support. It might be in this one, because the K8ngm2-fid also has a board called a business platform in its ranks. Thanks for the link. :D

djnes said:
It must be a great OS if Tom Skerrit is telling me about it!
"To click or not to click that is the question" :p

wish I had one of those on my OS.

Have anyone tried this new release? Is there any difference between RC1 and this one? Should I download this new one or just install RC1 (5600)? Is there any compatibility fix?

Downloading now, will post as soon as I can install and get some impressions.

So far I've found Vista quite usable as a primary OS, so I'm hoping this will clean up some of the annoyances.

Well, I can say that after having quite a LOT of issues with Vista 5600, this definately is a needed upgrade. I got fed up with 5600 and went back to XP, mainly because of graphics problems (laggy slowdowns, gaming issues), a lot of crashing, and just being very sluggish and unpredictable comapred to XP.

Well, after hearing that 5728 was faster that's all I needed to hear and I have had no driver problems whatsoever (needed to install beta Audigy 2 drivers though but that is not a problem) and stability and speed are greatly improved. This is the one you want for running as a primary OS.

Daemon Tools still won't work, and I also have read Nero 7 doesn't work but Nero Lite WILL work so I will probably give that a shot.

Shaping up to be quite nice, the only things I don't like are not bugs but just annoying design and implimentation issues. Can't wait for Vienna but Vista is a nice holding point!

Can I do a clean install of this build or do I need to upgrade from RC1? I only ask because my RC1 install got FUBAR'd after I installed the beta ATI drivers.

I installed it a few hours ago and it seems to work great so far. It did not install over RC1. Setup renamed the windows directory windows.old and wiped out my old profiles.

(edit) and yeah, the beta2/RC1 keys still work with this version.

djnes said:
It must be a great OS if Tom Skerrit is telling me about it!

Seriously. When I think of operating systems, I immediately think of Tom Skerrit. :D

jordan172005 said:
I'm downloading it now. Where do I get a key?

You had to get one from signing up when they did the beta 2 preview thingy.

I like Windows Vista alot but the RC1 5600 was kind of bad because of so many bugs and bitches that came with the system.

However I got to ask is 5728 much more stable now? Being that crashes were a bit unpredictable and out of the blue.

Just installed 32bit. Definately a major performance increase. 5600 was taking me just over a minute to boot, 5728 is up in under 25 seconds. Things seem "snappier" too. Stability is yet to be seen.

On a side note, 5600 was failry stable. Maybe crashed once or twice a day, but then go four or five days without a crash.

While I did not have any problems with 5600, 5728 does also seem a little snappier here also. Boots a little faster and seems to be a little smoother running. I did of course go through and disable Windows Defender, UAP, Security Center, etc...

MixManSC said:
While I did not have any problems with 5600, 5728 does also seem a little snappier here also. Boots a little faster and seems to be a little smoother running. I did of course go through and disable Windows Defender, UAP, Security Center, etc...

I did none of those as I see no need to.

me either then other then it loads faster and is more responcive...How u disable Windows Defender, UAP, & Security Center?

You can disable UAP by going Control Panel>User Accounts, click the green user accounts and click turn uac on or off. To disable Defender, go Control Panel>Security>Windows Defender>Tools>Options and uncheck Automatically scan my computer.

Where UAC is a pain in the ass, I can't really see why you would want to disable WIndows Defender.....

I notice a big improvement in stability, booting up, more responsive, etc. I haven't had a BSOD yet.

they still didnot fix the nero 7. problem. i just install latest veriosn of nero. it tells me it is not compatible .

With v5600, the nvidia beta drivers for the x86 Vista caused Vista to completely crash. Also, my explorer would crash periodically. I just formatted my seperate HDD with Vista, and installed v5728. This new version installed faster and the nvidia drivers worked flawlessly. So far so good. But I'm still keeping my XP as my primary OS. I like knowing I have something stable to fall back on. Love the dual booting.

compwarez said:
they still didnot fix the nero 7. problem. i just install latest veriosn of nero. it tells me it is not compatible .

It's not Microsofts job to fix Nero. It's Ahead's. Nero has hooks int ow level system parts that don't work the same way in Vista as they did in XP. Same thing happened with the switch from 9x to XP, and 3.1 to 9x.

ryan_975 said:
It's not Microsofts job to fix Nero. It's Ahead's. Nero has hooks int ow level system parts that don't work the same way in Vista as they did in XP. Same thing happened with the switch from 9x to XP, and 3.1 to 9x.

While I agree its not microsofts job it is entirely untrue to think microsoft wont do everythign they can to fix the problem. Microsoft is huge and one of the ways they stay on top of linux is by spending millions to make sure everyones software will work flawlessly (or close to) on a windows based system. If you run linux you have to do all that yourself. Not saying Nero wont try to fix the problem but Microsoft definately will help.

I got to ask but does Vista hate DVD's? Everytime I put in a movie, the system would lock up and BSOD? Is there a trick to stop this?

not sure all my dvds i downloaded and there in .avi, .ogg, or .mkv formats and works just fine with mpc could be the software ur using to play the dvd

OC_LeGeND said:
not sure all my dvds i downloaded and there in .avi, .ogg, or .mkv formats and works just fine with mpc could be the software ur using to play the dvd
I'm using MPC just like you. I put it in the tray and it just crashes shortly after that.

Alright moving on.. Does anyone have any imaging program that actually works?

There is no worry everyone. The aftermarket companies will come out with new and improved programs what will take advantage of all the wonderful new things that Vista is bringing us. Of course there will be an upgrade fee……for each program we have.

Back