Vista teething problems over?

Justin Cider

Weaksauce
I was just wonder in if it is worth it to switch to Vista now?I mean have most of the issues been dealt with or is it best to stick with XP for now,I would be looking at the the 64 bit home premium version and I only really play games and some light photoshop stuff.I know I will have to switch one day but is later better than sooner with Vista? Any opinions would be appreciated.Thanks

This question gets asked everyday and the current trend of answers to your question is "yes". What Photoshop do you use? I'm not sure if CS2 is fully supported, but CS3 definitely is. As for games, all the ones I play work just fine, but I heard that Battlefield 2 still had issues (and I'm sure a few other games as well). You'd do well to list them or check up on them.

Been running Vista x64 since Feb and loved it from then on, had wonky hardware problems but not due to Vista. Though I mostly play games through Steam so everything has worked that is newer, haven't tried any "old" games.

Been running Vista x64 since Feb and loved it from then on, had wonky hardware problems but not due to Vista. Though I mostly play games through Steam so everything has worked that is newer, haven't tried any "old" games.

Interesting you mention Steam. That is the one problem I have. Not the newer games, but the older Steam such as the original Half-Life, Counter-Strike, etc. Cannot host a LAN game on Vista. It used to work, but they broke it months ago. 4 different machine, 32 and 64 bit. And I'm getting nowhere with their support. On the other hand Vista has been great with all other games.

I just made the switch to Vista 32-bit and I'm pleased with it. I resisted for a long time too, but I'm happy with Vista.

Just loaded up a game called Majesty, into Vista x64, which was designed for Windows 98. It ran fine w/o having to set a compatibility mode. You CAN use old apps! It did give a crash warning once when I exited it though which isn't a big deal.

The sort of old apps which don't work are generally older than Windows 98, more like Windows 3.1 or MS-DOS. That's not to say that all Win32 programs will work, but (barring system utilities) if they're incompatible it's more likely to be because they don't work well on Vista (or, quite possibly, XP) at all rather than the 64-bit version specifically.

been running Vista (Business) since I got my new laptop (HP Compaq 6710b (RM340UT)) on April 2nd, and I'm loving it. It's snappy, fast, and stable as hell. Everything I've installed worked so far! All I had to upgrade was my NeatReceipt software, but that was free on their website.

Back