Vista: Stop Security Warnings - Let admins be ADMINS!

StarsFan4Life

Limp Gawd
Hey guys. So I happened to get Windows Vista Ultimate over the weekend and am already sick of these annoying security pop-ups. I can understand on a machine with multiple logins or what not, but when I am THE only person logging in and I am THE administrator to my machine, I don't want these warnings everytime I install something, download something, etc.

How the heck do I make them STOP?

Control Panel --> User Accounts --> Turn User Account Control on or off

Vista, Admin rights, UAC, and You

The best Vista tip I can offer and one that is sorely needed

Edjumicate yourself. And, just for the record, Vista doesn't have an Admin account anymore, regardless of what people think. No account in Vista has "true" Admin level access for everything like previous versions of Windows did, that's part of why Vista tends to be (note: I said tends to be) more secure than previous versions of Windows.

This is how things are done now so it's best to just get used to it, or install a previous version of Windows and remain in the past.

Ok. So now how do I get rid of this Red X in the bottom right of the taskbar?

Control Panel --> Security Center --> Change the way Security Center alerts me (left panel)

As for disabling it: if you want to, go for it. I agree educating yourself about it is a good thing to do. However, when it comes down to it, it's your computer and your choice.

As for disabling it: if you want to, go for it. I agree educating yourself about it is a good thing to do. However, when it comes down to it, it's your computer and your choice.
I predict within 90 days he'll be back, complaining cuz Vista's broken, slow, doesn't run right, blahblah, and the fact he no longer uses UAC, and randomly installs whatever from the internets, has nothing to do with that.

Vista, Admin rights, UAC, and You

The best Vista tip I can offer and one that is sorely needed

Edjumicate yourself. And, just for the record, Vista doesn't have an Admin account anymore, regardless of what people think. No account in Vista has "true" Admin level access for everything like previous versions of Windows did, that's part of why Vista tends to be (note: I said tends to be) more secure than previous versions of Windows.

This is how things are done now so it's best to just get used to it, or install a previous version of Windows and remain in the past.
There is no need to "get used to it," as long as you can turn it off.

And I think you should, b/c MS went too far. I believe they did it on purpose. They can now sa a default install is more secure than ever. Then when ppl get sick of the clicking, and turn stuff off, and things become slightly less secure, MS can say, "see, it's the idiot users, not the OS that makes things insecure."

And the ppl who can take care of their systems will keep them in check.

Disable UAC, install everything you want, get things set up the way you want, then re-enable it. I'll bet you hardly will see it again.

There is no need to "get used to it," as long as you can turn it off.

And I think you should, b/c MS went too far. I believe they did it on purpose. They can now sa a default install is more secure than ever. Then when ppl get sick of the clicking, and turn stuff off, and things become slightly less secure, MS can say, "see, it's the idiot users, not the OS that makes things insecure."

And the ppl who can take care of their systems will keep them in check.

Ignorance is bliss, eh? I envy you. You must be living in total peace and contentment.

To the OP: Please don't take this as a flame or anything, but rather as an attempt to warn you the perils of disabling UAC. UAC is constantly misunderstood. People who claims that they should disable them because they "know what they're doing" is just pure trash. If they truly knew what they were doing, they wouldn't disable UAC. Why, you ask? Rootkits, spyware, and other software that installs itself doesn't bother prompting you "please click Next to install" like other programs you install. UAC doesn't only see things YOU install, but it also see anything else that tries to install (or execute) behind your back, and THAT'S where UAC comes in handy. You'll get a fair warning that something's trying to install, and you'll grin at it and go "yeah sure, nice try" and deny it permission, and feel good about it.

There's a way to get around UAC while leaving it on. Right-click programs you want to run and select "Run as Administrator". This is the best way to do it.

Back