Vista SP1 RC1 Now Publicly Available

Hurin

2[H]4U
Well. . . may be time to give Vista its sixth try on my system. Want that DX10 eye candy in LoTRO! :)

32-bit

64-bit

Please be aware that this is a release candidate and not the "final bits." But so far, the response has been good. Though take note:

• This is pre-release code and will change before the final release. Windows Vista SP1 Release Candidate is for individuals, organizations, and technical enthusiasts who are comfortable evaluating pre-release software. This pre-release software is provided for testing purposes only. Microsoft does not recommend installing this software on primary or mission critical systems. Microsoft recommends that you have a backup of your data prior to installing any pre-release software.

• Windows Vista SP1 Release Candidate is Time-Limited software. It will no longer operate after June 30, 2008 and should be uninstalled prior to that date. Note: After installation your desktop will show the text “Evaluation Copy”. This does not mean that your system is no longer “Genuine”. It means that you have installed a test version of software which is time-limited.

• If you install the Service Pack 1 Release Candidate, it is strongly recommended that you also plan to install the final version of Windows Vista SP1 when it is released in the first quarter of 2008. To do this, you will be required to uninstall this pre-release code.

Does anyone know where I can the full x64 iso for this (ie: a Vista install disc with SP1 already on it)?

That's unlikely to arrive for a while I should say. Though, in the XP era, it was possible to manually slipstream Service Packs into the Media and burn new media yourself. That might be possible with Vista. But we'll have to see if anyone figures out how to do it.

Does anyone know where I can the full x64 iso for this (ie: a Vista install disc with SP1 already on it)?
You wouldn't want to do this with the beta release anyway. Wait until SP1 is considered final and publicly released.

Installed with no problems... copying files is indeed faster, that's the only thing that's jumped out at me so far.

You wouldn't want to do this with the beta release anyway. Wait until SP1 is considered final and publicly released.

I do want this though! They released this back when SP1 was in beta, but I can't seem to find one for this version publicly (I know it exists on connect).

Just went through the release notes and confirmed that all hotfixes recommended by nvidia here are included in Vista SP1 RC1 except the one released only a few days ago (here).

Thanks for that heads up about the hotfixes, Hurin. Saved me from having to try it out at least for now.

Thanks for that heads up about the hotfixes, Hurin. Saved me from having to try it out at least for now.
You're welcome. Though I'm not sure why the info would dissuade you from trying Vista out. It's got all but one of the hotfixes implemented and I'd assume you can just install that latest one afterwards.

I'm getting the itch to try Vista again now myself. :)

Hehe, you misunderstood my post. I'm running Vista 64. I just meant no need to grab the SP1 RC1 yet.

Hehe, you misunderstood my post. I'm running Vista 64. I just meant no need to grab the SP1 RC1 yet.
Ah, I see.

Though, be aware that there are lots of other fixes in SP1 that aren't available in separate hotfixes. Such as the file copying and network speed fixes (etc.).

befor sp1, copying this same file maxed out at 16mb/sec when copying from one raid0 array to my other raid0 array... now
sp1copy.jpg

so freaking happy they fixed that.. it looks like it could still use some work.. but its 750% better than it was. ( it should max out at about 145M/Bs burst... it usually saw 125 to 135 sustained under xp )

on the install, it took longer to download than it did to install.. (7mb cable here) and had no issues... no bsods.. nothing.. if this is RC1... then any thing that needs to be tweaked is so very minor its hardly worth waiting.. (with of course, the exception of mission criticle machines.. )

if you feel like being a rab rat.. give it a go

Back