Vista Service Pack 2 Released

Yeah...it's total bull...88%, still Stage 1, 30 minutes later....:confused::mad::mad::confused:

~Ibrahim~

SO....SP2 is literally taking over 2 hours to install. I thought it was joking when it said it could take "several hours!" Seriously, what the crap, MS?
I had it fully installed in under 30 minutes. I was fully patched with SP1 and subsequent updates.

Same here, man, fully patched with SP1 and all new updates.

Is this because I don't automatically update, MS? I am "download-only"; I like to know what I'm downloading. But, MS strikes back!

Ridiculous...I'm just going to leave it on over the night...I'm not wasting my time waiting for it.

~Ibrahim~

Hmm, I'm setting up a new install this weekend and I usually set it to download only as well (just so it doesn't restart on me overnight when I leave apps/docs open), I'll let ya know if it does the same crap to me.

Why would anyone want to sit through service pack up grades? I just use the stand alone in full auto and went to sleep.

@Impulse

Yeah, it finally finished. And the thing screwed up my Themes! Ugh...it's OK, though, SP2 patch files have already been released.

@nova

As in staying awake...usually, it'll only takes 30 minutes....USUALLY....lol

~Ibrahim~

Yeah, it finally finished. And the thing screwed up my Themes! Ugh...it's OK, though, SP2 patch files have already been released.

Care to share the patch files? I'm using the one from Rafael's site, 6.0.6002.16489 and they don't seem to work.

Ah, right. I think 16489 was the BETA because mine is 18005.

I found some Chinese site that had the files, but I didn't really trust it, so I used Universal Theme Patcher which definitely works as I just tested it. :)

Good luck! :)

~Ibrahim~

Same here, man, fully patched with SP1 and all new updates.

Is this because I don't automatically update, MS? I am "download-only"; I like to know what I'm downloading. But, MS strikes back!

Ridiculous...I'm just going to leave it on over the night...I'm not wasting my time waiting for it.

~Ibrahim~
I never auto update because there are some things I don't use and, like you said, I want to know what's getting installed.

Why would anyone want to sit through service pack up grades? I just use the stand alone in full auto and went to sleep.
Because I like to see what it's doing. I might find something else to do while it updates, but I'll keep an eye on it in case there's an error.

Currently there is only the stand alone update. It will be a few months before Microsoft rolls out SP2 via automatic updates.

Vista 64, node 32, no problems..BUT...Installed IE8 and now ONLY from my domain host site we cant read Japanese any longer..very odd..we can read it on every other site but that one. Of course Firefox works fine.

You say there is an issue with NOD antivirus v4 and Vista SP2?

EDIT: yikes, lots of things showing up when searching google for this. I will wait a little while and see what becomes of this. I am using Vist 64bite SP1 w/ NOD v4.0.314.0

Huh? I'm running Nod 32 V4 on Vista HP x64 with zero issues.

Some nod v4 users are having issues, others not. Possibly moreso with x64 and not x32. I had an issue where real time protection would not enable at boot and would get the red eye in the taskbar. I managed to fix it.
A lot of discussion about it here:
http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=241025&page=4

Some nod v4 users are having issues, others not. Possibly moreso with x64 and not x32. I had an issue where real time protection would not enable at boot and would get the red eye in the taskbar. I managed to fix it.
A lot of discussion about it here:
http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=241025&page=4

Eset Smart Security 4 x64 will not work on my machine. After numerous formats and installs. Have no idea why.

Will wait for a fix tho because I <3 Eset.

sp2 seems to work fine here, only wierd thing im getting is that my keyboard/ mouse wont turn back on after i bring it out of sleep mode.. have yet to reinstall drivers, but so far that is my only issue

Because I like to see what it's doing. I might find something else to do while it updates, but I'll keep an eye on it in case there's an error.

Currently there is only the stand alone update. It will be a few months before Microsoft rolls out SP2 via automatic updates.

Not true. It came up on mine just yesterday. :)

~Ibrahim~

Installed from Windows Update. Took maybe 20-25 minutes to install SP2. Everything looks and seems the same, so all is good here.

I've heard from one person that SP2 fixes the "folder view reset" bug. Anyone able to confirm this?

Service Pack 2 showed up on my Windows update but failed to install.
Installed the standalone [thanks] and all seems well.
It only took about 20 minutes.

Just prior to seeing sp2 on Windows update I gave in to IE8 nagging me to install.
Irrelevent mostly due to Firefox though.
I'm new to Vista64 and I can't believe Bill can't get his 64bit browser to work with flash or vice versa, whatever.

Service Pack 2 showed up on my Windows update but failed to install.
Installed the standalone [thanks] and all seems well.
It only took about 20 minutes.

Just prior to seeing sp2 on Windows update I gave in to IE8 nagging me to install.
Irrelevent mostly due to Firefox though.
I'm new to Vista64 and I can't believe Bill can't get his 64bit browser to work with flash or vice versa, whatever.

Yeah...it kind of blows. I have to use the 32-bit Sidebar to get Pandora and a few other Flash stuff working.

Yeah. Sorry, didn't mean it to sound so bluntly: "Not true". That actually sounds a bit like a d-bag sort of thing when I read it now. Unusually, I get system updates a bit earlier from Microsoft. Same thing happened with SP1.

~Ibrahim~

Yeah...it kind of blows. I have to use the 32-bit Sidebar to get Pandora and a few other Flash stuff working.

Yeah. Sorry, didn't mean it to sound so bluntly: "Not true". That actually sounds a bit like a d-bag sort of thing when I read it now. Unusually, I get system updates a bit earlier from Microsoft. Same thing happened with SP1.

~Ibrahim~

(25) You are allowed one signature per post. A signature section is supplied for that usage. No one wants to see your name on your posts multiple times as it is annoying.

(25) You are allowed one signature per post. A signature section is supplied for that usage. No one wants to see your name on your posts multiple times as it is annoying.

I'm sorry...didn't think it was that big of an issue. Since there isn't a system specifications section, I put them in the signature area and sign with my name on each post. If you really do mind, I can insert my name in my signature, as well. I mean, it is the same information, but just above the bar....I honestly only do it to make it a bit more personal.

Technically, my name only appears once per post, but I know that's not what you mean. :)

~Ibrahim~

P.S. Is that a rule you're quoting? I can't seem to find the rules; not in the FAQs, right? I looked there...

I'm sorry...didn't think it was that big of an issue. Since there isn't a system specifications section, I put them in the signature area and sign with my name on each post. If you really do mind, I can insert my name in my signature, as well. I mean, it is the same information, but just above the bar....I honestly only do it to make it a bit more personal.

Technically, my name only appears once per post, but I know that's not what you mean. :)

~Ibrahim~

P.S. Is that a rule you're quoting? I can't seem to find the rules; not in the FAQs, right? I looked there...

scroll down the bottom of the main page of the forum. :)

there was a big stink about it a while ago, figured i'd just give you a heads up. if you notice, its the last rule on the list...

I think he's just cranky, but people typically don't sign their posts like that, is all. It'd probably irk me a bit more too if I was looking at this on my iPod touch or my netbook, but I'm at home right now. :p

Nah, if it's a rule, I'll abide by it. Now, I'm not trying to cause an issue, but my rules list stops at 23. This is what I'm looking at.

Wait, wait, never mind. It has its own section; in the actual forums. This list above needs to be updated!

I'll change it now; I don't care that much. :)

Last edited:
Nah, if it's a rule, I'll abide by it. Now, I'm not trying to cause an issue, but my rules list stops at 23. This is what I'm looking at.

Wait, wait, never mind. It has its own section; in the actual forums. This list above needs to be updated!

I'll change it now; I don't care that much. :)

weird...

sp2 is still working great for me btw!
no complaints at all...

I snagged the standalone SP2 file the day it came out although I didn't install it. It also showed up in Windows update that same night. For the record, I do not have updates set to automatically download and install as I don't like anything autoupdating my system and choose what I do and do not want.

I installed SP2 a day or two after getting it and I was previously caught up on all patches. Amazingly enough it only took about 15 minutes total for the install and reboot using the standalone file. Since then I haven't noticed any differences in performance on the machine or regarding internet or network access. I have noticed that the sidebar (which is hidden but I keep two gadgets floating on my second display) is eating RAM like crazy like it has a slow memory leak. I remember having this happen previously but it has been a while since I've seen it and only since installing SP2. It's not a huge thing but when I killed the Sidebar earlier it was using close to 500MB of RAM. After restarting it's only using about 50.

SP2 caused some fairly major problems for me. The windows audio, dhcp client, and event log services were constantly crashing. Without the event log, it was somewhat difficult to diagnose, but I tracked the problem to the envy24 audio drivers. Turns out that those 3 services were all run under the same svchost.exe process, so one service crashing crashed them all. Uninstalled the audio device from devmgr, rebooted, reinstalled the WDM drivers, reinstalled the VIA drivers, and now all is well. Good times, good times.

Glad everything is working good, then...

Yup; all's well. It also changed my mouse to "regular" size, had to up that, but otherwise golden.

~Ibrahim~

sooo, now my nod32 v4 has decided to quit running after rebooting yesterday. its just sitting up in my notification area in red.

seems eset has a few workarounds posted on their site, not sure if anyone else has linked to it yet, im too lazy to look.

http://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?page=content&id=SOLN2254

LOL.....one of the "workarounds" is downgrade from version 4 to version 3. :rolleyes:

I ran into the same thing. NOD32 has turned into one of the biggest POS. I was only using it because I got a cheap $9 license from Newegg and it used to be a solid product.

Bye NOD32....nice knowing you.

Avira FTMFW

LOL.....one of the "workarounds" is downgrade from version 4 to version 3. :rolleyes:

I ran into the same thing. NOD32 has turned into one of the biggest POS. I was only using it because I got a cheap $9 license from Newegg and it used to be a solid product.

Avira FTMFW

Yeah this upsets me greatly. NOD32 is the best AV IMHO. But its time to start exploring other options.

WTF is Avira? I guess I will look it up.

Avira FTMFW

yup...the first workaround didnt work at all...so i did have to downgrade..whatever. i got it for cheap from newegg same as you.

took me about 30 minutes to get it sorted out because i had to boot into safe mode after uninstalling to delete all registry keys and folders associated with eset from program files...not sure why the uninstall couldnt do that automatically.

Vista SP2 evaluation

I pulled out my extra HDD and reinstalled Vista x64 SP2 integrated. Well, before I was able to basically force Vista to forget my folder settings by throwing a bunch of removeable drives at it and opening them up at once. Now it does seem to be fixed ... Before, double clicking a drive letter or folder gave you a different view than if you right click, explored it. Now they are both linked, perhaps part of the fix?

What I did was set up my user folder the way I want it by placing icons randomly around. I created a second partition and arranged those icons around the way I want them. I then brought up another removable hard drive and set those icons around randomly. I then plugged in a 2nd usb hard drive and arranged those icons. Then I plugged in a USB key, and arranged them. Then I got a little greedy and brought up 3 virtual drives.

In the end, the drive letters that do not change, like my hard drive and second partition, the settings stayed. I switched around my USB drives and it did not save the settings on those sinse the drive letters changed. I was able to quickly force it to forgot before, now I can't. I guess make your own judgement call becuase I still don't believe it, my user folder view settings are not being lost ...

A few side notes: One thing I did notice is I can't create a zip file in my user folder. If I right click->new->zip it says Unable to create file "file system error (16386). I'm also going to write down some information on memory usage etc and compare it to my 7 7127 install. Startup seems to be as quick as 7 and so was installation (even though I never noticed an improvement when I switched to 7 but it seems everyone else claims there is).

Vista x64 SP 2 vs Win 7 x64 7127

I continued my evaluation of Vista x64 SP2 vs Windows 7 x64 7127

Xeon e3110 3ghz (e8400 Core 2 equivalent)
1-4GB Memory
WD 640 HDD

I tested each OS install with 1GB of ram and with 4GB of ram. I compared boot and shut down times as well as memory usage at boot and after around 10 minutes of idle time. Here's what I found. All times and memory #'s are approximate. Times were done from point of power on to point of busy mouse going away. Memory usage was taken from task manager Memory bar #. Both systems were configured the same OS wise.

Vista x64 SP2 1GB
Boot: 49 sec
Shut Down: 9.6 sec
Memory usage at boot: 830 MB
After 10 minutes idle: 485 MB
Services in use: 38

Vista x64 SP2 4GB

Boot: 50 sec
Shut Down: 9.8 sec
Memory usage at boot: 960 MB
After 10 minutes idle: 812 MB
Services in use: 38

7 x64 7127 1GB
Boot: 50.5 sec
Shut Down: 10 sec
Memory usage at boot: 541 MB
After 10 minutes idle: 375 MB
Services in use: 33

7 x64 7127 4GB
Boot: 49.5 sec
Shut Down: 8.8 sec
Memory usage at boot: 730 MB
After 10 minutes idle: 730 MB
Services in use: 33

Notes
1. At approximately 1:30 after boot, the Vista install, both 1GB and 4GB, started aggressively caching data. This caused what some people called "Thrashing" but it did not hamper the performance of the system, likely becuase the disk is a newer/faster drive. My personal experience with both OSes has told me that programs seem to launch faster the initial time with Vista than with 7. This seems to be caused by 7 not as aggressively caching data. Once the program is launched for the first time, albeit with slower initial launch, the application launches of 7 and Vista are equal. Both my experience using the OSes and watching the data seem to make this statement a fact.

2. These boot times are very similar to a test I did with Vista SP1 vs Win 7 7000 a few months ago. Both were virtually identical then, like now.

Conclusion
Although 7 does use less memory than Vista, in my experience on my hardware, the performance of 7 is very similar to Vista in day to day task and gaming, when using 4GB of ram. In my opinion from using both OSes extensively over the past 6 months, at this point, the only reason someone with 4 GB of ram and a faster hard drive should upgrade to 7 would be for the additional features. There does not seem to be any performance boost if you have 4GB and a newer disk. For those who have 1GB of ram, and/or a slower hard drive, the decreased memory usage and decreased hard drive trashing by a liter caching system would make 7 a good OS to upgrade too.

SP 2 information you may not know about ...

http://www.techradar.com/news/softw...indows-vista-sp2-our-in-depth-hands-on-597297
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd335033.aspx (spreadsheet of all fixes)

Last edited:
I just had a good 30-40gigs free up on my hard drive after install. Haven't had any problems at all.

Back