Vista Service Pack 2 Released

Vista pre-SP2 gives 4226 errors when you try to connect to more than 10 computers at once, now it doesn't.

Forgot about those errors... more than just error though, it's what is happening to the TCP requests... they queue up which can affect performance depending on the scenario.

Just installed SP2 and browsing seems snappier than before (this is with a number of connections in the background for other services).

Can't really feel any improvement, but then again most of the changes are wireless which I don't use.

i just noticed something else

ultaVNC is working now 10x better then it ever has in vista. the difference is dramatic, im almost shocked how well it works now.

there are a lot of little quirks and things that are gone now, and i had a fully-up-to-date vista install. this service pack is turning out to be a lot more then i thought it would....

i just installed sp2 from windows update. im on my laptop and surfing the web on my wireless network and it does seem faster. havent noticed much else so far.

Currently installing SP2 on my Win2k8 box, via RDC on my cellphone at work :D

Everything seems good so far.

Installed it with no issues. I also ran compcln.exe afterwards, which is basically a SP2 cleanup tool. Type in cmd and run as Admin. Only do this if you don't need to uninstall SP2.

thanks for the info dark_reign,restored 2.5 G free disk space

Last edited:
You can still install SP2 if all you removed is language files. Delete this key in the registry >HKLM>Software>Vlite

iirc SP1 checked for this reg key also and would give the error even if you didn't remove anything needed like language files or just used vLite to do an unattended install.
Thank you!!

there has been a noticeable improvement... it wasnt just me being tired last night. dare i say it, but vista feels more win7 like then it ever has....

I'm curious about something, before you install it it says it could take up to an hour and restart multiple times, however, it took me only 20 minutes and restarted once, is there something that could make it take up to an hour and restart multiple times?

I can't get it installed. This wasn't a vlited install.

What happens is everything goes normally for steps 1 and 2. When it goes to boot back into Windows after step 2, I get a reboot loop. Booting into safe mode allows step 3 to continue, but rolls back after completion (due to being in safe mode). I'm stuck.

I've re-armed via elevated cmd, and run this tool http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...B1-3267-41C2-8F10-1FE9A4BFA44D&displaylang=en

Neither have helped. Suggestions?

everything worked fine last night...woke up this morning to basically no internet.

i could connect to blu-ray.com, irc and use torrents normally, but couldnt browse other sites on the net. here is me hoping it was just my isp and not SP2.

I'm curious about something, before you install it it says it could take up to an hour and restart multiple times, however, it took me only 20 minutes and restarted once, is there something that could make it take up to an hour and restart multiple times?

they are giving you worse case scenario i think. some may take an hour for whatever reason some take 20 minutes.

i also think this service pack has windows 7 code in it also. my laptop seems faster and now im trying my desktop.

worked fine, installed it last night.

I haven't had much time to play with it since, but this morning it felt just as snappy as ever I suppose. I think I read that they improved startup/shutdown times... I hope to god that's true lol sometimes shutting down vista took forever (up to 2-3 mins at one point... not sure why, seems completely random when it does it)

i can't get it install i think i need to reinstall vista 64
i ordered a new Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS anyways

So far, three systems finished with no issues. See my sig for all three specs.

Speed increases across the board, but not HUGE differences. Just more responsive.
I like not paying for my service packs. :cool:;)

Bugger, and I just ordered a Vista Business 64-bit disc from MS, should've waited a bit and gotten one with SP2 instead of SP1 in it. Not like it really matters, can always slipstream it, but still... They charged me $22 to ship me the damned thing! How much do they charge in the US when you order their 'alternate media'? To add insult to injury, all of MS's discs are manufactured and packaged right here in Puerto Rico, so they charged me $20 to "ship" something from a plant that's 30 min away from my house. :rolleyes:

The DHL courrier that delivered it actually called me to find out where my office is located too... Isn't that sort of his job? Blah. Sorry for the OT mini-rant... :p

Has anyone that's noticed improved performance checked if there's less background processes running by default or something? Wonder if it's a placeboy effect or if they really did some performance tuning of sorts...

I installed it earlier today with no problems. Rebooted several times and did a shut down with no noticeable difference. I see no difference in web surfing or running programs.

Bugger, and I just ordered a Vista Business 64-bit disc from MS, should've waited a bit and gotten one with SP2 instead of SP1 in it. Not like it really matters, can always slipstream it, but still... They charged me $22 to ship me the damned thing! How much do they charge in the US when you order their 'alternate media'? To add insult to injury, all of MS's discs are manufactured and packaged right here in Puerto Rico, so they charged me $20 to "ship" something from a plant that's 30 min away from my house. :rolleyes:.

Usually the cost to ship is $10. Twice I ordered a disk, XP Pro x64, and Vista Business x64, and for whatever reason they didn't actually charge my credit card even though they were supposed to charge the $10 shipping... :cool:

Man, what a load of bs... The disc and the cardboard sleeve it comes in both say "Made in the United States (Puerto Rico)", and it was shipped directly from Catano, Puerto Rico... Yet they charged me $20 + tax for shipping, ugh. Catano's not even 30 min away from my office, I tried e-mailing them but got some boiler-plate answer that didn't make any sense... I'm not sure the service rep understood the geography of what I was trying to explain (even though the communication was in spanish, who knows where he's actually located).

The disc's even a lil' scratched, heh... Kinda sad for a manufacturing/packaging plant that they opened barely a couple years ago. Guess I'm gonna have to try calling them instead of e-mail, doubt I'll get any kinda refund.

I just installed VISTA SP2 and now Get the Blue Death Of Screen!! :eek:

WTF!? :confused:

That's strange. It has been working flawlessly on my Q6600 desktop as well as my Core 2 Duo T9400 on my laptop.

Have you tried updating your BIOS?

That's strange. It has been working flawlessly on my Q6600 desktop as well as my Core 2 Duo T9400 on my laptop.

Have you tried updating your BIOS?

I have an ASUS P5W DH Deluxe (Latest BIOS drivers) and Vista SP1 was running absolutely fine...

Its just when I Installed SP2, everything went down hill... Now my $hit wont even boot!!
:mad:

I have an ASUS P5W DH Deluxe (Latest BIOS drivers) and Vista SP1 was running absolutely fine...

Its just when I Installed SP2, everything went down hill... Now my $hit wont even boot!!
:mad:

My shit doesn't boot either, but I wish it did. It has managed to clog quite a few toilets though.

If you're running NOD v4, boot into safe mode, uninstall it and use v3 for now.

You say there is an issue with NOD antivirus v4 and Vista SP2?

EDIT: yikes, lots of things showing up when searching google for this. I will wait a little while and see what becomes of this. I am using Vist 64bite SP1 w/ NOD v4.0.314.0

Last edited:
You say there is an issue with NOD antivirus v4 and Vista SP2?

EDIT: yikes, lots of things showing up when searching google for this. I will wait a little while and see what becomes of this. I am using Vist 64bite SP1 w/ NOD v4.0.314.0

upgraded to sp2 without issue. v4.0.314.0 is running fine for me...

Anyone installed SP2 thru WU on a fresh install? (w/SP1 already present obviously) I was dealing with a pre-SP1 image of Vista the other day (part of a laptop's recovery app) and WU seemed to install like 30 different updates before SP1 even showed up on the list, took a loooong-ass time too. I was wondering if it was at all necessary and/or why it didn't just skip ahead to SP1.

I'm not sure why, Impulse. SP1 includes all previous updates. There are a few prerequisites, but not 30!

SO....SP2 is literally taking over 2 hours to install. I thought it was joking when it said it could take "several hours!" Seriously, what the crap, MS?

It's only at 58% after 2 hours, Stage 1 of 3, and one restart....

I want mah COD4! :mad:

~Ibrahim~

Hah, weird... I thought someone else in the thread mentioned it installed within 30min for him. I guess next time that weird scenario happens to me again I'll just skip all the preliminary updates and download SP1 manually. I'm used to doing that for XP rigs (when IE is hosed), just hadn't had an issue w/Vista systems so far where I needed to.

I'm not sure why, Impulse. SP1 includes all previous updates. There are a few prerequisites, but not 30!

SO....SP2 is literally taking over 2 hours to install. I thought it was joking when it said it could take "several hours!" Seriously, what the crap, MS?

It's only at 58% after 2 hours, Stage 1 of 3, and one restart....

I want mah COD4! :mad:

~Ibrahim~

haha, sucka.

Back