Vista Service Pack 2 Released

Very interesting bigdogchris, thanks for posting... Between this, and the post on the [H]ard front page about HD space usage post-SP2 install it looks like some of the simpler Windows 7 optimizations are trickling down to Vista (basically it auto-deletes the setup files, apparently, which was usually an option left to the user)... Seems 7 still behaves itself better out of the box on low end systems tho (e.g. netbooks).

Meh, I gained 2gigs back, oh well. I had to uninstall the Russian language pack though, that blows.

can anyone tell me if SP2 is available via Windows Update...I have SP2 installed but I downloaded it from the direct download link...but I want to do a reformat and would like to have SP2 available via Windows Update beforehand...anyone know for sure?

Completely forgot I downloaded this on the 26th on my desktop. Going to install when I'm done with some school assignments tonight. Hope its easy and makes it even more stable than vista is right now.

SP2 caused some fairly major problems for me. The windows audio, dhcp client, and event log services were constantly crashing. Without the event log, it was somewhat difficult to diagnose, but I tracked the problem to the envy24 audio drivers. Turns out that those 3 services were all run under the same svchost.exe process, so one service crashing crashed them all. Uninstalled the audio device from devmgr, rebooted, reinstalled the WDM drivers, reinstalled the VIA drivers, and now all is well. Good times, good times.

Were you getting random BSOD's when the services crashed? I think I might be having the same issues. You happen to have an AV-710 sound card too?

No problems with SP2 on my system before or after a motherboard swap (thank God for standalone installers, though--reinstall Vista, chipset drivers, SP1 standalone, SP2 standalone, done!).

Just installed SP2 on my copy of Vista Ultimate 64-bit. Was a little hesitant to do so as I was waiting to see if there's a way to slipstream sp2 and doing a fresh install but so far so good. I don't know if it's my mind playing tricks on me but web browsing does seem to be a bit snappier.

-John

I just decided to install the service pack now, but I'm getting that same error of having to uninstall the Russian language pack. I never installed it to begin with but strangely enough it appeared on my uninstall/install language pack list, but even then it keeps showing up as a failure to remove it. Help?

I've had an issue with SP2 on my e6850/X38-based board x64 install. Before SP2, it's rock-solid. After SP2, I get 'memory error' BSOD 0x0000007e on the dump, and apparently I'm not the only one according to Google. I'll sit tight and wait and see if anything comes of it. Very odd indeed.

I've had an issue with SP2 on my e6850/X38-based board x64 install. Before SP2, it's rock-solid. After SP2, I get 'memory error' BSOD 0x0000007e on the dump, and apparently I'm not the only one according to Google. I'll sit tight and wait and see if anything comes of it. Very odd indeed.
Disable your AV.

i installed SP2 from Windows Update,
and i guess it was successful,
but when i look at system info, it still says SP1,
can someone help me on that?

I was also getting random BSOD's after updating SP2.

As someone mentioned, I uninstalled and then reinstalled my Envy audio drivers and has been 100% stable since then.

Verify that it was installed by looking at update history.

actually, i think i read everything wrong, it was only Microsoft Office 2007 SP2....
looks like the SP2 for Vista does not appear in windows updates yet?

actually, i think i read everything wrong, it was only Microsoft Office 2007 SP2....
looks like the SP2 for Vista does not appear in windows updates yet?

For some people (aka me) it has, but I'm not sure if it has been fully released yet.

~Ibrahim~

So..I can't install SP2.

Using Vista Home Premium 64-bit, SP1. My CD says it comes with SP1 pre-loaded, I check sys info and it says SP1.

However, the SP2 installer tells me to install SP1 first...any ideas?

So..I can't install SP2.

Using Vista Home Premium 64-bit, SP1. My CD says it comes with SP1 pre-loaded, I check sys info and it says SP1.

However, the SP2 installer tells me to install SP1 first...any ideas?
I assume you have tried re-installing SP1?

Back