Vista Service Pack 2 Released

Looks like lots of nice hotfixes, about 700 total! Most in security, networking, and server side enhancements.

well poo ..and I just installed Win7 on my main rig too ...

darn

Downloading now.
Very quick download, only about 5 min.

Edit:
And I'm done. Very painless.

Last edited:
having a heck of a time installing this... It gets to the system restore point creation, then errors out on me, every time.

Nice! I guess Im one of the few that prefer Vista instead of the W7 RC at the moment, Vista is super solid for me and SP2 will just make it even more stable, good stuff.

Is there a way to slipstream SP2 into a Vista SP1 disc? vLite is saying no, but I had used it to integrate SP1 into the original Vista disc I had.

Is there a way to slipstream SP2 into a Vista SP1 disc? vLite is saying no, but I had used it to integrate SP1 into the original Vista disc I had.

I'm sure there is. vLite probably just doesn't support or hasn't been tested with SP2 yet.

Nice! I guess Im one of the few that prefer Vista instead of the W7 RC at the moment, Vista is super solid for me and SP2 will just make it even more stable, good stuff.

Add me to the list. I ran teh Win7 beta, and now the RC for the last few weeks, and really, I have not found a killer app or feature that makes me want to go out and buy it when it releases. Win Vista has been steady for me with no or few issues.

Add me to the list. I ran teh Win7 beta, and now the RC for the last few weeks, and really, I have not found a killer app or feature that makes me want to go out and buy it when it releases. Win Vista has been steady for me with no or few issues.

I will upgrade to Windows 7 almost immediately so long as it runs with all my applications. The fact is that it runs better on the same hardware than Vista does. To me that's worth the price of admission.

On the Eset forums there has been a thread about NOD32 v4 not working with Vista SP2. Reverting back to v3 or 2.7 works fine. You must revert before installing the SP. So beware of that situation.

If anyone has installed it while running NOD v4 please feel free to chime in here. At work I run v3 and I installed SP2 this morning without a problem. At home though I have v4 installed so I'm waiting a bit to hear from others.

I have v.4 installed, and I finally got SP2 up and running. Turns out it was my ZoneAlarm holding me back. Uninstalled and went to Outpost free, and I'm up and running, doing a scan with NOD32 right now.

my v4 nod32 updated before i left for work this morning. maybe it included a solution to the issue?

i will be install sp2 when i get off work, ill post my results

I got this:
"Service Pack installation cannot continue
One or more system components that the service pack requires are missing. "

Apparently its because I removed some languages with vLite, how dumb is that?

You can still install SP2 if all you removed is language files. Delete this key in the registry >HKLM>Software>Vlite

iirc SP1 checked for this reg key also and would give the error even if you didn't remove anything needed like language files or just used vLite to do an unattended install.

Notable changes - "SP2 removes the limit of 10 half open outbound TCP connections. By default, SP2 has no limit on the number of half open outbound TCP connections. ". Wonder if this will help with torrents. Probably not since I already max out my 12m down link on SP1. But maybe it will improve overall network performance for those who torrent, stream media, browse the web, use terminal services, file sharing, and more.

Last edited:
Yay, I have SP2. I don't notice anything different. Yay. Fun's over, back to Windows 7.

On the Eset forums there has been a thread about NOD32 v4 not working with Vista SP2. Reverting back to v3 or 2.7 works fine. You must revert before installing the SP. So beware of that situation.

If anyone has installed it while running NOD v4 please feel free to chime in here. At work I run v3 and I installed SP2 this morning without a problem. At home though I have v4 installed so I'm waiting a bit to hear from others.

I have been running Vista64 SP2 and Nod32 V4 since April 11th with no issues.

i downloaded the standalone installed for 64 bit.

exited all my apps...disabled my v4 nod32 antivirus/spyware protection, disconnected from the internet...ran the install normally. took about 30 minutes total i would guess for the complete install. im typing this message in sp2. :)

I will upgrade to Windows 7 almost immediately so long as it runs with all my applications. The fact is that it runs better on the same hardware than Vista does. To me that's worth the price of admission.

I would agree, on my netbook, but the truth is that I don't notice a performance increase (other than a quicker boot, but it IS a clean install, vs my Vista's ~1.5 year install) on my main rig at all. If there were a difference I might feel otherwise...

Notable changes - "SP2 removes the limit of 10 half open outbound TCP connections. By default, SP2 has no limit on the number of half open outbound TCP connections. ". Wonder if this will help with torrents. Probably not since I already max out my 12m down link on SP1. But maybe it will improve overall network performance for those who torrent, stream media, browse the web, use terminal services, file sharing, and more.

x2. Can anyone with greater knowledge on the subject enlighten us on what exactly this means?

not showing up on my windows update yet, ill just install manually

win7 will be on my htpc because of media center, but otherwise, vista is plenty fantastic for most everything.

x2. Can anyone with greater knowledge on the subject enlighten us on what exactly this means?

Vista pre-SP2 gives 4226 errors when you try to connect to more than 10 computers at once, now it doesn't.

Installed it on the home pc (x64) and no problems to report. Even with NOD v4. Simply disabled real time protection and ran SP2 as admin.

Back