Vista refresh rate OVERRIDE

RESTfulADI

2[H]4U
I need help. Just installed Vista and my FW900 is stuck at 60hz in most resolutions. Forceware 163.11 doesn't have an option to create custom resolutions. I have tried RefreshForce and RefreshLock (both work great in XP) and neither of them work, even if I "run as administrator". Also tried Rivatuner override and I can't get it to work, and Powerstrip doesn't even let me click the "Advanced Timings" button. I tried installing the FW900 driver and no help.

This is really pissing me off because I finally got everything else to work fine from nvidia drivers, creative drivers and alchemy!, mouseware even works if you install it in "xp sp2 compatibility mode" (I need 800dpi on my mx510). I'm used to playing games at 95-140 hz on this monitor and there is no way I am going to settle for 60hz.

Another problem is that I since ReForce does absolutely nothing, I have no way to add 1440x900, which is a great compromise resolution when 1680x1050 runs too slow.

Does anyone know how to successfully override refresh rates and create custom resolutions in Vista because I am about to go back to XP.

All right, I don't use Nvidia and only used this program a handful of times, so I think the method of overriding refresh rates using the old CP method is invalid in Vista (although I've seen people supposedly get it to work with some modification, i.e. coolbits with certain drivers). I don't know if selecting a setting there just for the refresh rate (ignoring what it says for resolution) will work or not, probably not. I know how annoying this issue can be so I'll try to help...

Only other thing I've see is a registry key you can add/modify:
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\DirectDraw
"ForceRefreshRate"=dword:00000064

(setting is in hex, 64 = 100 Hz, 78 = 120 Hz, etc.)

...but that sticks you at one particular refresh rate for all resolutions.

Thanks for trying anyway. Some people report they had success with ReForce, ReLock, and Rivatuner but none of those work for me. Reforce gives an error unless you run as admin, and then it saves all the changes but they don't do anything. I'm really at a loss, this is the kind of thing that's a total deal breaker.

I hear you...I can't live without at least 85 Hz...but I haven't had any real issues. I use ATI Tray Tools (custom profiles) and most games have a setting for refresh rate, too (although there's a blanket refresh setting like that reg entry in my drivers). Don't know if that registry entry will help any, but it might get you halfway there. This issue really looks hit-or-miss for Nvidia, maybe someone here has more experience with that specific setup than I do.

Still nothing, I guess Vista will stay unused on the other partition until this is fixed. Nvidia need to add the create resolution feature to the Vista driver.

Not sure if this program works with Vista but try "power strip", I know it doesnt work on the 8 series of nvidia cards but I am not sure if it works in vista, but if it does it should solve your problem if it works in vista ???

Also for gaming n such, open up the Dirext X info panel by going into the start menu or whatever in vista and typing dxdiag in the run box, when it opens, goto the last tab or the more help tab and then in their you can override DX refresh rate to whatever your monitor supports, but with XP it didnt change the desktop refresh rate since desktop in xp isnt running via directx or running in 3d mode but that could be different with vista, I tried vista for a fortnight and never got into it so I dunno if these things will even be there since I am back using xp and will continue to do so for a long time to come.

Anyway long story short, try powerstrip if it works under vista, and also try that dxdiag override thing, as I do it all the time for xp and keep it set to 75hz which is my lcd panel's max refresh rate, if I dont override to 75hz alot of dx games max out at 60hz regardless of what the desktop refresh rate is at.

I tried Powerstrip and the "Advanced Timings" button which is used to create custom resolutions and refresh rates is grayed out for some f*cking reason. I'll try dxdiag right now, thanks for the info.

Hey shiznit,

I posted a reply to your post on the nzone forums saying that I have the exact same problem. I too am quite frustrated by the apparent lack of options for custom refresh rates in Vista.

I don't have dual boot ATM, so I will persist until I find an answer...

Good luck, I tried dxdiag and there is no refresh option. Funny you say how similar our systems are, my GTX should be here any day now :).

Good luck, I tried dxdiag and there is no refresh option. Funny you say how similar our systems are, my GTX should be here any day now :).

You sure their is no override or similar options in one of the tabs in dxdiag in vista ? I cannot say for sure but I am pretty positive that I did it when I was using vista, but I cannot remember that far back with uber clarity, but I really did think that option was there in vista.

I was using Vista business, but I presume all other vista versions have exact same options for its Dxdiag page.

EDIT:

I just googled it and indeed that option is missing in vista, so I was obviously confusing xp with vista when I said that I thought I had did it when I had vista installed for 2 weeks. sorry bout that, it works a treat in xp tho :) but that isnt what you need :(

goodluck in getting your prob fixed ;)

My 8800GTS is gone now so I'll have to use the old x800xl until the GTX arrives. I'll try with ATI drivers and we'll see whats up.

I tried Powerstrip and the "Advanced Timings" button which is used to create custom resolutions and refresh rates is grayed out for some f*cking reason. I'll try dxdiag right now, thanks for the info.

Powerstrip was the only thing that worked for me with my Dell P1130... I wonder why the "Advanced Timings" was greyed out for you? You need to research that if you haven't.

Powerstrip was the only thing that worked for me with my Dell P1130... I wonder why the "Advanced Timings" was greyed out for you? You need to research that if you haven't.
I checked all over including the Powerstrip forums, and all I found was a comment by someone saying how nvidia prevented the powerstrip people from including all the options for the 8800 but that seems unlikely.

Yeah, I checked into it and apparently a PS dev posted that. I did a quick Google search, "powerstrip 8800 advanced timings" and found a hit at nVidia forums and another at AVSforum. These guys were able to get into advanced timings with a driver update, but apparently the settings won't stick after a reboot.

Yeah, I checked into it and apparently a PS dev posted that. I did a quick Google search, "powerstrip 8800 advanced timings" and found a hit at nVidia forums and another at AVSforum. These guys were able to get into advanced timings with a driver update, but apparently the settings won't stick after a reboot.
Damn dude, link that shit I'll just hibernate if I have to lol.

Is there refresh rate problems like these when use vga cables or do these problems only ocure when using bnc?.

I have never used bnc and I still haven't found a complete solution. I might go ATI next time, Nvidia has the better cards and I like their partners better, but ATI has fully working overrides in Vista and I have to draw the line somewhere.

Back