Vista reading Drive, Drive not reading disc

Julius

Limp Gawd
Hey, out of no where my dvdrw/cdrw drive isn't reading any cd's at all. Vista reads the drive and say it is working properly, but no matter what disc I put in the drive it won't read it. It worked before but now it doesn't.

I also tried updating drivers but they were the latest.

Any help thanks.

Unfortunately its a known vista problem with no fixes.

I have 2 dvd drives. It sees 1 always and works always. the other one vista sees when it wants too and i'm able to use it when i'm lucky.

Whats strange is the longer i go without rebooting the better it gets at seeing the dvd drive. Of course i rebooted last night after an automatic upgrade and now it disappeared again.

Problem drive is a pioneer dvd
good drive is a sony dvd/rw

So your saying aslong as I have vista my drive will no longer work?

You need to get a new drive that has vista ready on the box or wait till sp1 for vista in 2008.

You need to get a new drive that has vista ready on the box or wait till sp1 for vista in 2008.

Dang that sucks. What was the point of them putting a Vista ready sticker on my computer than :(.

This can be a Vista issue, but can also be a reading lens issue if your drive has seen enough use. My Lite-On experienced similar problems not too long ago - and not long after I switched to Vista - and cleaning the lens did fix it for me. I've cleaned other drives in the past, so it's worthwhile for me to try - I usually open the physical unit and directly wipe the lens. If your drive can also burn, it can be useful to test whether or not it can still read blanks and burn them, as there are multiple lenses. I've also seen this problem on a system with a bad 5V rail (some Antec PSUs suffered from this in the 300-400W era), although that was only once.

Yea, maybe I should try to create some type of boot disc on my other comp to see if the drive will read it at start up. Wouldn't that be a way to tell if it is Vista or the drive?

Yea, maybe I should try to create some type of boot disc on my other comp to see if the drive will read it at start up. Wouldn't that be a way to tell if it is Vista or the drive?

Would rule it out for the most part, yeah, although drives are so cheap these days (I just like messing with stuff). :D

Yea my drive did not read the boot disc. So I'm guessing it's a hardware failure, but vista reads my drive, the bios reads it also. Next step?

Buy another drive and see if it works. If not then repackage and return it.

I have this problem too. Bios sees it, XP sees it, but vista does not. Just install another one.

Back