Vista RC2 doesn't see DVD-rom burner?

TimothyB

[H]ard|Gawd
Just curious if anyone else has trouble. I have a new Lite-on DVD burner that's part of my new Core 2 Duo system I put togethor a while back. The RC2 works perfect, every drive and device working, but for some reason the dvd-rom (only rom installed) is no where to be found let alone give it the correct driver.

Why does Vista not see the device? Anyone else have similar problem? Is it only something that will be fixed in the final vista, no way around it? I mean, when vista comes out, will there be a list of incomaptible rom drives?

Oh, the only thing that keeps coming up as new hardware without a driver is a Mass Storage Controller. I'm using the Gigabyte DS3 mobo. I haven't installed one driver or anything to do with hardware after installing vista, it pretty much worked right away.

i recently got RC2 and went to install on a system I have to try out Vista, and am stopped in the install with a message "no DVD-ROM device driver..." and asks for me for the driver. it is a NEC_5700 DVD-ROM and ATAPI so i am a bit confussed?

i posted here because i hope someone can provide some info, that has been using RC2 and may know if there is a issue with certain DVD ROM's or burners.

btw what model burner do you have? wondering if it was a NEC?

The brand was in the first post. Lite-on. To get the model number I'd have to restart to XP and look in device manager since it's no where to found in Vista.

But I don't recall a message or any stop in the installation. And no way to provide a driver for something Vista doesn't even know is there, so confusing.

I think Vista has trouble with the IDE controller on the DS3. I had the same problem and partially fixed it by going in to the bios and switching the controller from "IDE" to something like "RAID/IDE". Then go to Gigabytes site and download the raid driver for XP, put it on a floppy so it's available at installation time.

It still doesn't work 100% though as my DVD burner is still slower in Vista compared to XP.

Dave G.

The IDE controller on the DS3 is part of the Gigabyte SATA chipset. If you have an SATA drive, you should have the BIOS configured for AHCI. Then, you need to load the drivers manually from Gigabyte. Don't use the ones available on WIndows Update. Once you do that, the DVD drive will show up just fine.

I'll try some of this stuff. I use two SATA drives and two HDDs on the IDE on the DS3

Though, I forgot to mention, the DVD burner is connected to a Maxtor IDE PCI card, so would the DS3 controllers and such effect a IDE PCI card? The two IDE drives I have on the DS3 IDE work.

Now that I think of this, could the uknown mass storage device be the maxtor IDE pci card? I've never had to install a driver before in XP.

In my case, I have a single HD and DVD Burner (Nec 3550) on the IDE controller (master/slave) with the controller set to "IDE" in the bios. This works fine in XP, but not in Vista. Vista would only work by changing to "Raid/IDE" or whatever the 3rd setting is (haven't gone back in to see what that setting was exactly).

Timothy, yes, the mass storage controller is your add-on card and requires that you install the driver from Maxtor for it (I think you can get it off their website somewhere). I actually had a similar card installed at one point.

Dave G.

Success!!!

I went to maxtor.com, got the driver for my ultra-ata card, put it on my desktop, did the browse for driver, pointed it to the folder, it found and installed successfully.

Instantly after the driver was installed the DVD RW showed up in My Computer.

Thank goodness that's over, good luck for those without a simple solution like that.

Back