vista question

nomak

Limp Gawd
I am running vista ultimate on my machine.. I went in and unchecked the option to hide protected OS files and extension.. well Now I have files on my desktop that are supposed to be hidden and arent anymroe.. ( desktop.ini) files in particular.. I never had this issue in xp pro when doing this.. is there a way aroud these files appearing on the dektop even though I checked them to be un hidden ??? thanks,,

So let me see if I get this straight...

You unchecked the box to keep hidden files, hidden. That is to say that you made hidden files visible.

Now you want to know why a previously hidden file on the desktop is now visible?:confused:

I am running vista ultimate on my machine.. I went in and unchecked the option to hide protected OS files and extension.. well Now I have files on my desktop that are supposed to be hidden and arent anymroe.. ( desktop.ini) files in particular.. I never had this issue in xp pro when doing this.. is there a way aroud these files appearing on the dektop even though I checked them to be un hidden ??? thanks,,

Desktop.ini is basically just a file that stores information about customized folders and preferences, I highly suggest you do not delete it and just re-check "Hide System Files". Any particular reason why you want to see all of the Windows hidden files?

at vage.. yes thats correct.. my reasoning is it never did this n XP... as I explained in my question...

At Ranger.. yes I wont delete them cause i know of thier importance and I did as u said re checked them to keep invisible.. I just use to in XP always un hising everything.. just thought this was unusal as I had never ran into this with XP../.

thanks,,

The files are new in Vista, I believe; they deal with a previous problem with localised versions of Windows not displaying correct icon names, supposedly.

This has happened since at least RC1. It may have been also true for Beta2, but I don't remember. I've always just deleted them and they've never come back.

As far as I know Vista has always done this, and XP does not. They probably do this to discourage you from un-hiding those files.

Yep.. it always has. But the OP is not alone.. it bothered/bugged/pissed me off as well.... and in fact I started a thread very similar to this one about 9 months ago....

Yep.. it always has. But the OP is not alone.. it bothered/bugged/pissed me off as well.... and in fact I started a thread very similar to this one about 9 months ago....

I agree, I really dislike this behavior. I shouldn't have to hide anything. It is my PC and I feel Microsoft has worked to hard too take away my control of it. I doubt it improves security in the least, as one of my coworkers and myself have discovered, there are many things we can do in Vista with scripts and batch files that we cannot do manually. They stop nothing, they just make me have to go to more trouble to get there. If there is a good workaround for this one, I would like to know what it is myself.

I agree, I really dislike this behavior. I shouldn't have to hide anything. It is my PC and I feel Microsoft has worked to hard too take away my control of it. I doubt it improves security in the least, as one of my coworkers and myself have discovered, there are many things we can do in Vista with scripts and batch files that we cannot do manually. They stop nothing, they just make me have to go to more trouble to get there. If there is a good workaround for this one, I would like to know what it is myself.

Delete the files. There's your work-around. I've been doing it since at least RC1 and possibly Beta 2. Never had a problem with doing that.

Well - the issue with those files are you have two check boxes - one to hide hidden files, and the other to hide protected OS files. If you uncheck both, everything's in the open. It was this way for me in XP as well (all of the desktop.ini files and everything else...)

Well - the issue with those files are you have two check boxes - one to hide hidden files, and the other to hide protected OS files. If you uncheck both, everything's in the open. It was this way for me in XP as well (all of the desktop.ini files and everything else...)

Odd, I've installed XP more times than I have driven to work and have never had a desktop.ini file appear on any desktop.
All other hidden and system files appear as expected.

Odd, I've installed XP more times than I have driven to work and have never had a desktop.ini file appear on any desktop.

That's because there wasn't a "desktop.ini" in the "x:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Desktop" folder in XP. Vista for some reason has one in both the "x:\Users\<users>\Desktop" and "x:\Users\Public\Desktop"

I guess I was just lucky :)

Back