Vista question

nomak

Limp Gawd
Thinking about getting vista soon .. First Im wanting to get the retail version rather than OEM.. Does the egg not cary retail versions >? second Im happy with xp pro but want to start familiarizing myself the new Vista.. what version is compariable to xp pro or even little better than.. I dont want to by the ultimate versin for I just dont think I need that.. any input appreciated..

Rick

Thinking about getting vista soon .. First Im wanting to get the retail version rather than OEM.. Does the egg not cary retail versions >? second Im happy with xp pro but want to start familiarizing myself the new Vista.. what version is compariable to xp pro or even little better than.. I dont want to by the ultimate versin for I just dont think I need that.. any input appreciated..

Rick

Vista Business is comparable to XP Pro. Vista Home Premium is comparable to XP MCE. Vista Ultimate is comparable to XP Pro+XP MCE.

XP Pro usually upgrades to Home Premium or Business.

Home Premium, has Media Center, some extra dinky windows games, and the built in windows movie maker tools.

None of which I was interested in because I use third party software for all of that, and I don't and have any plan to get a tuner card and connect my system to a TV.

Business lacks those things I mentioned for premium, but it has Remote Desktop, which I use all the fucking time.

But... that's me.

Yeah, it all depends on your needs really.

If you have XP Pro, the closest upgrade is Business. It will give you all the features that XP pro had plus some of the more useful things like Remote Desktop and Previous Versions. (The ability to recover a document you accidently overwrote)

If you don't need either of those features and will never connect to a domain you can save yourself some money and get Home Premium. You won't get Previous Versions or the ability to remotely connect to the desktop, but it will run all the same software and will even have media center if you ever decided to give using your PC as a Tivo like box a whirl.

Ultimate is really just a combination of the two. You get the Remote Desktop and previous versions stuff (and all the domain support) in addition to media center plus a few minor "fun" extras that no other version has. Dreamscene, for example.

In the end, I went ultimate because of the Family upgrade offer. Buy any retail copy of Ultimate ($237 for uprade from Costco) and you can get two copies of Home Premium for $50 each. If you were planning on going to vista on more than one machine it's a great way to save some cash. I upgraded 3 machines to vista for the total cost of $337. A pretty good bargain.

Back