vista problems?? Lots of em, need assistance

kinson

Gawd
First off, I've been using vista since it was first released, in beta blah blah, never had but just a few tiny problems that were easily fixed. Well, now I have decided to reinstall my windows.

Well, heres the problem, I have 2 raptor wd drives that I raid 0 with, and have used a raid with vista forever. However, now, I can get vista to install on the raid no problem, however, my internet is horribly slow.

Keep in mind I don't have any programs on here other than what comes with vista, I run through a home network and have never had a problem with that either. My other computers have no problems with the speeds. I have 2 10mb/d and 3mb/u packages from charter.

I have researched this for the past 3 days and have not found any help whatsoever.

My system is pretty well listed below and here are some of my speed tests.

Last Result:
Download Speed: 500 kbps (62.5 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 1479 kbps (184.9 KB/sec transfer rate)

My webpages load fine, no problem fast as they would be. Some pages with a lot of content take a second longer but that's normal. It's mainly when trying to download drivers and other things that I use.

Please someone help with this because I have been having a terrible weekend trying to fix this. Even tried putting xp back on and that's giving me even more problems.

You didn't mention if you updated the default NIC drivers. Also, are all updates installed?

I updated the marvell drivers, and tried to update the nvidia driver but it didn't help at all, So then I went through and updated everything I could think of...

Some people say it's mcaffee or whatever, which I don't use, they said to disable ipv6, which I tried, they said to delete a specific update, which I tried. They also said that most people were having troubles because of their realtek drivers, which I don't use.

So I'm at a complete loss, and this is driving me insane.

So far I've reinstalled vista, still slow downloads, took me almost an hour to download some video drivers and even longer to get the few vista updates I wanted. I installed the nforce4 junk, and did a few other things. Still having trouble.

I now have everything that I can possibly think of up to date, and it's still fucked up

I turn off ipv6 and this is what I get

Last Result:
Download Speed: 1092 kbps (136.5 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 1887 kbps (235.9 KB/sec transfer rate)

Still a far cry from what I'm used to.

(((Now it's back to like 500kbps down)))

Last edited:
Another idea, have you tried running with the default OS provided drivers? I've only noticed slower performance when upgrading drivers in Vista, except for GPU of course. Hell, even some of the drivers available on WU kill components until you uninstall them (realtek nic's anyone).

Plus, make sure you have SP 2. It's supposed to fix a lot of network related issues. You may also want to research the methods to disable Vista network throttling. I'm feeling a bit lazy right now to link it.

My router does everything automatic, but when I first had these problems I tried both resetting the router and modem.

i didn't even know there was a sp2 for vista lol

This is all pissing me off because a friend talked me into playing WoW with him and I can't even do it now because I can't download the updates to play lol

Just to humor myself I went down stairs and reset the router again since I've installed and reinstalled windows about 15 times this weekend...

Last Result:
Download Speed: 17693 kbps (2211.6 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 1853 kbps (231.6 KB/sec transfer rate)

That's what my speeds are suppose to look like... roughly, and that's what it was once I reset the router again, today... I don't get it... But I won't argue... Looks like it's fixed now... I'm gonna keep trying a few things to see if it acts up again. I have to reinstall vista once more because I didn't install it the way I wanted it to be installed :( lol

I guess the question now is, can I take the nvidia raid, I installed one 36g raptor as a strip raid, and installed vista on it... Can I get it to raid with the other raptor without having to reinstall ?

I'm not sure how you can have a striped RAID on 1 drive...

My understanding however is that if you want to raid both drives, you're going to have to wipe both drives and restripe across both. The only way around it is to image your current drive, wipe the drives, RAID them, and drop the image across the array.

Back