Vista Problems Galore!

I don't really ever see too many problem / help threads here at [H], but sadly I am nearing the end of my rope. I read the Forum Rules, and I saw nothing prohibiting it. So, hopefully someone here can lend me a hand.

Last weekend, my Dad called me and told me that he had spilled coffee in his laptop. Of course, my initial reaction was going to be to tell him to throw it in the garbage. However, he told me that Windows starts to load then freezes. Then he told me that he can run in Safe Mode fine. So, I had to rethink my initial assessment.

Then, today, I got a call for another laptop. This time one without the coffee problem. It is having the exact same symptoms.

Laptop # 1

Compaq Presario C500
Windows Vista Home Basic
Spilled small amount of coffee in the keyboard.

Laptop # 2

Toshiba Satellite A205
Windows Vista Home Premium
No coffee in this one

On Laptop # 1 it would load the Windows Splash Screen, also would get past the loading bar. Then, it would freeze, go to a black screen.

I could start in Safe Mode just fine, also Safe Mode with Networking. From Safe Mode, I managed to transfer all files to an external drive.

I reinstalled Vista Home Basic using the built in recovery partition that comes on HP/Compaq computers.

It took about 5 tries to complete the installation once the the initial install was finished (set up user, time zone, etc.) Now, it has been sitting for about 20 minutes on a blue screen with a working pointer, no desktop (Not BSOD, just blue)

I have swapped the memory with known working RAM.

That's where I currently am with Laptop # 1.

On Laptop # 2, I've done essentially nothing yet. Pending the investigation, and hopefully the successful resolution to Laptop # 1's problem.

I am in Safe Mode, and viewing the Event Log. I was hoping to find that it was a device driver causing the problem, but I see no such consistent error.

This laptop was working fine until a sudden freeze, identical to Laptop # 1.

My novice in the world of Vista is doing me a great disservice! Help?!

Update: I got Laptop # 1 to the desktop. Restarted to make sure...it went black and never came back!

Hard shutdown. Won't restart.

Always make sure your hardware is stable before you spend time on the software.
memtest would be a good start.

Always make sure your hardware is stable before you spend time on the software.
memtest would be a good start.

I have new memory, from a working machine, running in Laptop # 1 currently.

I ran memtest on Laptop # 2 earlier and returned no errors.

I have new memory, from a working machine, running in Laptop # 1 currently.

You need to convince yourself that your hardware is stable.
Coffee spill, computer not behaving after a fresh OS install, both suggest hardware issue.

I would download Ubuntu and try running it from a live cd. No installation required. Report back with results.

Back