Vista Pricing revealed.

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by -=Antimatter=-, Aug 28, 2006.

1. -=Antimatter=-

-=Antimatter=- 2[H]4U

2. general

general [H]ard|Gawd

That's just a tad more than XP. I haven't seen any functionality in the OS that would make me switch for free either. Is it just me or does that pricing mean that world+dog will be pirating the ultimate version?

3. jcll2002

jcll2002 2[H]4U

$450 for ultimate?!?!?!? That better come with a dx10 card ;)

4. eeyrjmr

eeyrjmr [H]ardness Supreme

WTF!!! are MS serious, or MAD!!!
    and since for some dumb-ass reason global companies think they can charge in £ what they charge in $ bypassing exchange-rates, that puts Vista-Ultimate at £499 !!! you can get a top of the range PC for that, barebone!!! so thats and extra £500 just for what???

This must be a joke!!!
    For £500 that gets you???

DX10.. will OpenGL-2.0 and OpenAL gives just as good
    Aero? Well Aiglx is supplying that now on 5yo hardware (vista cant do that)
    DRM? hahahahahahaha

maybe just maybe 2007 will be the year of linux for the desktop.
    PC-world is selling top-notch (kinda) PC's for £300, MS are not going to be able to pull this off

5. LstOfTheBrunnenG

LstOfTheBrunnenG [H]ardness Supreme

These are likely retail prices. Hopefully OEM prices will be much more reasonable.

XP Pro Upgrade Retail is still $200 today; is not the full version twice as much? Yet XP Pro can be had for $120 on Newegg.

6. [H]exx

[H]exx 2[H]4U

MS can pull it off...why you ask? Monopoly power ;)

People will pay $500 for an OS...not EVERYONE, but a good chunk of people...

Just be happy as hell they haven't started their OS Subscription instead of one time purchase...thing...

I'd rather pay 500 once, than 200 a year....

But then again...I have educational MSDN access to this stuff :D

You all just need to get career jobs in the educational field lol

7. The Donut

The Donut 2[H]4U

I do think the Ultimate price is a little steep, however OEM will likely be far less. In addition to that, I don't see why people constantly complain about the price of XP and soon to be Vista, when you look at the amount of use you get from it compared to similar programs below or above that price range.

8. TheRapture

TheRapture [H]ardness Supreme

Well, I can tell you this, they will charge whatever the market will pay....I am setting a limit personally, at no more than $250 for Ultimate...when it hits that price, I will buy it.....

I certainly will not pay $300-$400...LOL....fuck that.

9. Jordan1

Jordan1 [H]ard|Gawd

I'll wait a couple of years...

10. General Crespin

General Crespin 2[H]4U

I read that this time around, MS is saying that you will only be able to get an OEM copy of XP with a complete system, no more buy-a-USB-cable and get an OEM copy (even though you don't even have to do that). So whether or not we'll be able to get OEM copies, and their prices, remains to be seen...

11. turtletrax

turtletrax Limp Gawd

My bum hurts already and I havent even bought a copy yet....

That is crazy prices for the Ultimate version :eek:

12. GonzoP

GonzoP 2[H]4U

I wonder how many basic versions they'll sell :rolleyes:

13. MNOB07

MNOB07 [H]Lite

I really would like to have a legit version... but come on Microsoft. From what I've seen Home Basic doesn't even support Aero, and I'm sure it has other features stripped for no reason! Why can't you have one version (Ultimate) at a decent price and only ONE version like Mac OS X? Yea sure not everyone will use the extra features.. but you're coding them anyway might as well make your overall product image better and not try to wring extra money off of whoever the hell will pay full price for that..

14. Baredor

Baredor Gawd

I have yet to see reason enough for me or my plant to upgrade for $120, let alone $350. Somehow I feel early adoption isn't going to go as well as in the past.

15. Flyboat

Flyboat Gawd

$500.00, limited activation (5~10), sounds like an invitation for piracy.

16. so_cal_forever

so_cal_forever [H]ard|Gawd

Getting MS software for a discount through your college... Priceless.

17. gilga

gilga [H]ard|Gawd

Escuse the dumb question, but what exactly is the "upgrade" version. I assume that it requires you to already have a working copy of xp on your hd. So if you ever needed to reinstall you would have to reinstall xp first?

18. odoe

odoe Madministrator Staff Member

I'm sure there will be plenty of deals in the months after Vista is released. I got my copy of XP Pro directly from MS for $50 and even got a bobblehead and some cards.

19. Flyboat

Flyboat Gawd

I have installed XP pro from an upgrad CD without any os on the harddrive.

20. TheRapture

Getting Vista for cheap and legit, from a pal inside of MS....nice. :D

21. GreenMonkey

GreenMonkey 2[H]4U

$450 with anti-piracy activation can suck my *****. Nothing like paying for a legal version and being treated as a pirate. It was bad enough on XP.

Never thought I'd say it, but I hope Apple makes some inroads on the market (like maybe offering Mac OSX as an OS). Very unlikely, but some competition would really help out here.

22. Keyser0804

Keyser0804 Limp Gawd

afaik its a disk that will install xp from an existing windows from an earlier version than xp, such as windows 95 or 2000.

edit: one word: monopoly

23. masteraleph

masteraleph Limp Gawd

Wow, an incredibly large amount of idiocy and disinformation. I'll work from the top down.

1) A direct translation of prices is stupid. Yes, there is such a thing as an exchange rate, but believe it or not, in Canada, the relative price of Windows is more than it is in the U.S. Not by huge amounts, but enough that, say, Vista Ultimate could easily be $50 less or so.

2) Incredibly enough, MSRP for Windows XP Pro (retail) is $300 US. When was the last time you saw it being sold for that? For that matter, when was the last time you bought it for that?

3) Amazingly enough, certain things (Halo 2 for PC, for example) are going to be DX10 only. Either you're not interested, or you pay for Vista. It's really not THAT hard to understand.

4) Linux will succeed on the desktop when it gains a standardized GUI and access to the software most people need/use on an everyday basis. Which means never. It's great for what it is, but frankly, OSX is a significantly better platform for most people out there than Linux, if we're talking non-Windows.

5) Specifically @ TheRapture- while I wouldn't suggest buying it for any number of reasons, see here where buy.com is offering "Windows Vista Ultimate English Upgrade DVD Retail" for $259.00. Hard, wasn't it?

6) When it comes to OSX, it's only reasonable to compare overall prices. The fact is, if you bought Windows XP when it came out, and bought a Mac at the same time, and have kept up to date with all updates (including changing between big cat names), then you've saved money by buying XP. Is Windows expensive? Yes. Is it actually outrageously priced? Not for the lifespan.

7) You clearly don't understand that MS is a business, and as such, its goal is to make the maximum profit possible. That involves multiple pricing tiers. You don't like it, don't buy it...but overall, it's designed to give people what they want at prices they're willing to pay.

8) Upgrade (a good question):
    "Upgrade" for Windows does not require a traditional upgrade, though you can do that (not recommended). Instead, "upgrade" means that you stick your Vista disc in, in prompts you for a copy of a previous acceptable version of Windows (say, a Windows XP disc), it sees the disc, tells you to put the Vista disc back in, and installs normally. It's the same as standard, except that it requires a disc check. Therefore, assuming you have an old windows disc, "upgrade" would be a perfectly viable option for you.

*Edited to fix the hyperlink only

24. duby229

duby229 2[H]4U

@ masteraleph

Clearly misinformed :D

I will urge anyone out to check out Linux, and what it is capable of... At the very least most will recognize that Windows vista is pretty much a "catch up" release with Linux.

25. Flyboat

Flyboat Gawd

I will try linux whenever they become game friendly.

26. Javelin3o4

Javelin3o4 Gawd

wow 450! they are supposidly giving this with the intel epp promo this year, hopefully i'll have enough chips to be gauranteed.

27. ThreeDee

ThreeDee [H]ardForum Junkie

I would go 100% linux if it weren't for gaming ..darn

:mad:

[​IMG]
    [F]old|[H]ard

28. ValeX

ValeX 2[H]4U

@ The people saying "Im not gonna buy it at $500 FUCK THAT LAWL!"

What? You're just going to _not_ play DX10 games?

Monopolies are bad news, people.

29. TheRapture

masteraleph----- my point exactly. Nice find.

It will sell for whatever the market will pay.....and clearly, very very few are going to pay $400 and up... :p

Oh yeah, upgrade dvd is perfect. Heck, I have installed XP Upgrade by using a Windows 3.1 floppy disk as "proof" that I had a previous windows OS.....the same data is on the upgrade as the full, just one has a check....

30. J32P2006

J32P2006 Gawd

I thought all OS's were free... :confused:

Now I'm confused...

j/k

31. masteraleph

masteraleph Limp Gawd

Oh, I totally agree that Linux is quite a capable system. It's just that the general public has no desire for something "more capable" but more complicated to learn. Think of it as manual vs. automatic transmission- the former can be better for certain things and lets the driver really control the car, but in the US at least, automatic is by far more popular due to ease of use.

And with that, I'll end with the analogies, since sooner or later we'll start discussing gas stations and car washes for economic models, and that really just gets rediculous.

32. XLiveUSR

XLiveUSR [H]Lite

owned....and so true....

33. XLiveUSR

XLiveUSR [H]Lite

speaking of the intel epp promo, whitch i have 13000+, they are giving away this year.....
    1] Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor E6300
    2] Intel® Desktop Board DG965WH
    3] Microsoft* Windows Vista* Ultimate
    all for $220 + tax & shipping whitch ends up to be around $234

34. XLiveUSR

XLiveUSR [H]Lite

i fail to see your reasoning that ms is a monopoly.....

no one is forcing you to by windows, if you dont like it then go buy a mac its that simple

35. ValeX

ValeX 2[H]4U

Pretty much every recent game released has used DirectX, which is only accessible if you use Windows. Its like saying "You can only put milk in your fridge if you buy a Microsoft fridge." Even though microsoft fridges only come in black and my whole house is white. Get it?

36. eeyrjmr

eeyrjmr [H]ardness Supreme

Linux not for gaming??

*cough* Quake wars & UT2007 *cough*

37. Farva

Farva [H]ard as it Gets

dont forget using wine either to emulate.

some people, get your information correct before you make stupid comments about linux not being able to do stuff.

and dx10, im sure card makers will release the updates for xp. i really dont think they will purposely lose a big market who refuses to move to vista because they dont want to.

38. Aelfgeft

Aelfgeft 2[H]4U

You too, eh? ;)

You can be sure I'll be staying friends with plenty of college students :D

39. drizzt81

drizzt81 [H]ardForum Junkie

I am still hoping for MS to finally make a Windows Vista Drizzt81 edition. Comes with all th stuff I do want (aero maybe, DX10 I guess), minus junk that I don't want/ need (DRM, media center junk, etc.)

40. -(Xyphox)-

-(Xyphox)- [H]ardness Supreme

wow, 450 for full version, many people going to pirate it at that cost