vista pre-rc1: questions regarding nvidia drivers, cd image program, and opengl

dualblade

Supreme [H]ardness
1) has anyone been able to use the beta 2 drivers on pre-rc1? for me they just hang during install (i think when trying to switch resolutions). i've seen comments on the web that other people are having this issue as well. is there some sort of compatibility trick to make them work?

2) i'm looking for a program that will work in pre-rc1 to make virtual cd drives out of .iso files. nero explodes, tried several versions of daemon tools and couldn't get them to work either.

3) attempted to play an opengl game and the game claims it can't load the opengl subsystem. is this because of an incompatibility with this specific game (soldier of fortune II), or do the microsoft drivers that ship with vista not include opengl support?

other than these 3 issues, i've got my hardware and software working in vista and i'm trying it out as my main OS. so far it seems to be pretty good, but it's only been one day. guess time will tell. i've got itunes, firefox, adobe cs2, office 2007, and codecs for video (Combined Community Codec Pack) up and running. these are the main apps that i use day to day, so i'm happy to see they all work

also, for anyone who wandered in here wondering what vista looks like, here's a screenshot of my desktop:
background.jpg

can you not hide icons in quicklaunch anymore? I hate having any visible over there on the right.

quicklaunch is the section next to the start button. if you mean the system tray, then yes you can hide them but i like those apps to be displayed while running for easy access. i'd much rather a tiny tray item than a big rectangle box on the taskbar if it's a program that's up all the time

dualblade said:
quicklaunch is the section next to the start button. if you mean the system tray, then yes you can hide them but i like those apps to be displayed while running for easy access. i'd much rather a tiny tray item than a big rectangle box on the taskbar if it's a program that's up all the time

yeah I dont know what I was thinking. I'll rack that one up to it being late. No more 2+am nights. I dont even know how I did that, I have a bunch of stuff in my own quicklaunch.

dualblade said:

if you hide them do you get the default windows xp 'slider' arrow?

You can use PowerISO to moutn Virtual CDs. With the later builds, specifically 5536 and onwards newer version of Daemon Tools 3.3 and onwards have known to cause blue screens due to the SCSI adapter they install, rendering your installation useless as it also effects safe mode. (Speaking from expereince).

So, PowerISO works, i'm sure there are others.

Back