Vista or XP for BSHOC & Crysis

apcor

Limp Gawd
Well I have just ordered the last of my upgrades (new ram/mobo/q6600) and I am faced with one last dilemma. I have been chomping at the bit waiting for Bioshock & Crysis (1&2 months left till release) and wondering if I should make the jump to VIsta for these 2. Something tells me although I am not totally sure these games will look much better in DX10, but will probably not run as well. Native res for me is 2560x1600 and I betting I wont be able to pull it and will have to scale it back to 19x12 at least. So should I stick with XP or make the jump to vista. While I am mentioning it, would 64 or 32 bit be better? If I do jump I want to order early and get acclamated to vista before the 2 releases. Would appreciate your thoughts.

I'm nervous about it and still not 100% decided but when I build soon I'm currently leaning towards x64.... and a big bottle of aspirin.

For example, I'll be doing level design work for Crysis and will want Photoshop... but Adobe provides no support for x64 on older versions of the software... rather it'll likely take buying a new version (latest is priced at >$600).

Dual boot? Think about it sooner or later you will be forcing yourself to upgrade to vista, its like using win2k right now.

Might consider that but I dont want to spend my money on vista unless I will get the value out of it. This is pure gaming use. BTW Think comparing XP to 2K might be a bit harsh as I believe a majority are still on XP. I think after crysis that will change though.

Dual boot? Think about it sooner or later you will be forcing yourself to upgrade to vista, its like using win2k right now.

Well I have just ordered the last of my upgrades (new ram/mobo/q6600) and I am faced with one last dilemma. I have been chomping at the bit waiting for Bioshock & Crysis (1&2 months left till release) and wondering if I should make the jump to VIsta for these 2. Something tells me although I am not totally sure these games will look much better in DX10, but will probably not run as well. Native res for me is 2560x1600 and I betting I wont be able to pull it and will have to scale it back to 19x12 at least. So should I stick with XP or make the jump to vista. While I am mentioning it, would 64 or 32 bit be better? If I do jump I want to order early and get acclamated to vista before the 2 releases. Would appreciate your thoughts.

Crysis and Bioshock will run DX9 at about the same speed as DX10.

Crysis and Bioshock will run DX9 at about the same speed as DX10.

Agreed.

But, in concept, there are certain perks to DX10 ;)

DX9:

flight-simulator-x-20060829042833518.jpg

DX10:

flight-simulator-x-20060829042835252.jpg

We'll see what it really looks like....

/\ that right there is the reason I'm going Vista on my new upgrade.
/ I \
I
I
I

Bioshock is using the Unreal 3 engine by all accounts, and if they've done a good job with it then all things being equal DX10 will be more efficient than DX9 when rendering the same things. No doubt DX10 will have additional effects which hopefuly will be entirely optional so you can select whether to just get an FPS boost from using DX10 or actually improve the graphics fidelity which I'm sure will come with it's own performance hit.

My advice would be to go with Vista 64bit, you will want more than 2Gb of System RAM before long and thats going to mean a 64bit OS, it will also give you access to DX10 so you can have the choice of more efficient rendering of DX9 effects or turning on the next generation DX10 effects.

You picked up a good CPU and a reasonable amount of RAM, most users who switch to Vista and complain of massive drops in FPS in games are ones with modern video cards but old single core CPU, this means Vista chews up some more cycles and their frame rates drop.

With a video card bottlenecked computer it's been shown the difference in performance between XP and Vista is now very small, <10% in most cases and in a few cases performance is now better on Vista, those with SLI especially can contest to this which I expect has something to do with XP not dealing with large amounts of video memory very well.

Well I just found out Crysis has been pushed back to 11/13 release date (it was 9/11 for a while) so I have a couple of extra months. I think I will stick with XP for bioshock and if I miss out on alot of DX10 features I can always replay after I pick up 2 more gigs of ram and vista.

Bioshock is using the Unreal 3 engine by all accounts, and if they've done a good job with it then all things being equal DX10 will be more efficient than DX9 when rendering the same things. No doubt DX10 will have additional effects which hopefuly will be entirely optional so you can select whether to just get an FPS boost from using DX10 or actually improve the graphics fidelity which I'm sure will come with it's own performance hit.

My advice would be to go with Vista 64bit, you will want more than 2Gb of System RAM before long and thats going to mean a 64bit OS, it will also give you access to DX10 so you can have the choice of more efficient rendering of DX9 effects or turning on the next generation DX10 effects.

You picked up a good CPU and a reasonable amount of RAM, most users who switch to Vista and complain of massive drops in FPS in games are ones with modern video cards but old single core CPU, this means Vista chews up some more cycles and their frame rates drop.

With a video card bottlenecked computer it's been shown the difference in performance between XP and Vista is now very small, <10% in most cases and in a few cases performance is now better on Vista, those with SLI especially can contest to this which I expect has something to do with XP not dealing with large amounts of video memory very well.

I am surprised at how well vista ultimate 64 runs, since I just installed it(my first 64 bit OS too). Plays my games good too.

Agreed.

But, in concept, there are certain perks to DX10 ;)

DX9:
DX10:

We'll see what it really looks like....

Of course the difference would have nothing to do with Microsoft fudging it to sell more copies of Vista...

Sometimes I wonder if we'll ever even get a patch for FSX to enable DX10 support. They've been entirely mum about the whole thing.

I personally think the DirectX9 would look just as good as DX10 if they put a bit more effort to it. :rolleyes: Then again, screenshots like those promote more marketing sales for Microsoft..

Bioshock looks identical DX9/DX10.

Crysis has effects that look much better with DX10. You can only expect to see more of this type of differentiation in the future. I'd invest in Vista. 64-bit is a bit better investment.

I personally think the DirectX9 would look just as good as DX10 if they put a bit more effort to it. :rolleyes: Then again, screenshots like those promote more marketing sales for Microsoft..

That's partially true, but the whole point behind DX10 is that to do the same in DX9 it comes at an even greater performance cost.

That DX10 shot has the "artist Concept" tag at the bottom. Translation: "Here is a photoshoped image, good luck making the game look like that in real time".

That DX10 shot has the "artist Concept" tag at the bottom. Translation: "Here is a photoshoped image, good luck making the game look like that in real time".

As I said... "we'll see".

Well I just found out Crysis has been pushed back to 11/13 release date (it was 9/11 for a while) so I have a couple of extra months. I think I will stick with XP for bioshock and if I miss out on alot of DX10 features I can always replay after I pick up 2 more gigs of ram and vista.

If you are going by what vendors say, ignore that. Crysis has NOT stated a release date other than, just this week, acknowledging that they will do so soon and it will be this year.

Anyone have any problems running any games with Vista X64? I too am looking at this option for my new build, but am a little worried about support for older apps and such. I still like to play the original Ghost Recon and IL-2 Sturmovik. Oh can't forget one of my favorites, Kelly Slater Pro Surfer.:D

for bioshock just get XP, Crysis and all future DX10 games Vista, get another small HD for Vista, its just not a stable OS yet

So far DX 10 has equaled a few visual enhancements that can beat down the best graphics cards money can buy @ resolutions of 1680x or greater with filtering active. I had to have folks point out to me the differences in "World of Conflict" between DX 9 and 10. I didn't notice it right off actually playing the demo.

Most people do not have DX 10 capable cards and many that do have mid high end cards or lower.

I wouldn't hold my breath for full blown from the ground up DX 10 titles. Games aren't going to be made that close out 80% of the population. Most people do not have "enthusiast" rigs.
"DX 10 games" will have a DX 9 path and likely will run better on said path.

Many games are still coded to do a lot of work on the CPU because they know folks buying systems from places like Dell are likely getting average CPUs and subpar graphics cards in their systems.

If you go Vista dual boot. I do. Don't bother with x64 like I did because MS isn't pushing it and I don't see it developing without some "encouragement". Their next OS is still going to be 32 or 64 bit optional. Aka if you want poor support, or no support and shoddy drivers, buy x64. I asked them about Onecare support for Vista x64. Their answer? "There is no consumer demand for it."

"The x64-based versions of Windows XP and Windows Vista are not currently supported in Windows Live OneCare."

http://onecare.live.com/standard/en-us/purchase/sysreq.htm

Expect to hear something like the above often if you are running an x64 OS. XP pro x64 was released in April of 2005 and here we are today still dinking around.

If you want to wait, wait for the first service pack to be released. Right now I don't see the point for most folks to buy Vista to play old DX 9 games.

SLightly off-topic but a great example of DX10 at work. Downlaod or stream World in Conflict DX10 video and check out the particle physics and destructive environments.

Great example of pointless DX10 hype. Two independant sites examined the game, it looks essentially identical in either DX9/10 the biggest difference with DX10 is that it is slower.

http://www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Hardware/Guides/world_in_conflict_performance_guide/9.html
Stay tuned to Neoseeker, as the hunt for DirectX 10 continues. So far, all the supposed advantages of DirectX 10 are elusive. I have no doubt that one day, one game, will push the envelope of what this new API can do -- but that day is not today. But with games -- such as World In Conflict -- looking as good as they do in ole-fashion DirectX 9, it is hard to imagine what we might be missing.

http://www.elitebastards.com/cms/in...sk=view&id=432&Itemid=29&limit=1&limitstart=3
Overall, I can't help but feel a little disappointed to see yet another game where the inclusion of DirectX 10 functionality has done nothing for the title either graphically or from a performance standpoint - I really can't tell the DirectX 9 and 10 rendering paths apart, yet performance is lower to quite a considerable degree using the latter. Thus, it looks like we'll have to wait a little longer for that first title that really makes DirectX 10 a must-have commodity for a graphics board.

Back