Vista Operating System OEM Install

Constantine769

Weaksauce
I am going to build a new Rig soon but I am unsure which Vista edition to buy. Currently, I've been thinking of getting the Vista Ultimate Edition Retail because it has all the features that I need. I could get either Premium RETAIL or Business RETAIL for a cheaper price but these two editions have features that I want but the other version does not have. Vista Ultimate has all the features but I want to save money and get the OEM instead of the RETAIL which is way to expensive.

My question is, if I buy a Vista Ultimate Edition OEM, will I be able to reinstalled whenever I preform a reformat for a new clean install without the hassle of having to validate it every time?

What if I decide to replace my motherboard, I will have to do another clean install on my computer but if my guess is right, it will be "a different" computer even though only the MOBO was replaced.

What if I decide to add another BFG 8800 GTX for SLI (for whenever CRYSIS comes out), will I have problems with Vista then as well? One 8800 GTX might not be able to handle CRYSIS.

I would really hate to have to re-register my copy just because I decided to reformat my computer or decide to add/replace a part in it having Microsoft think that its a "Different" computer just because of an OEM OS. Or even worse, that the OS OEM software I have will be unusable because it will be installed on "Another" Comptuer.

Another problem I have I'd like to plug in here since I did not get any response at all:

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1174883 (Wireless Problem)

Thank you very much for your help,

Constantine

There are a bunch of these types of threads around here. Just scrolling or reading back through the topics for the past 3 months can teach you a lot and prevent these types of threads from being created almost every single day.

With that said, when you purchase and OEM/System Builder version of Vista it's tied to the hardware you first install it and activate it on. That's it, one time, one install. The only way to get another key for proper installation and proper activation will be to get one from Microsoft, and when you call in to do that you're calling for one of two reasons:

1) A real hardware problem like a fried motherboard is requiring you to reinstall clean on new hardware.

2) You're a hardcore geek just looking to upgrade again and that means you're going to have to lie about #1 above to get a key.

Microsoft won't just toss you a new key because you feel like getting a new mobo, faster processor, upgraded video card, etc.

The only legitimate reason to get a new key for an OEM/System Builder version is because of some mishap that is requiring you to do a massive swap of hardware - and this specifically means the mobo. Just doing a video card upgrade won't require it although some people seem to think it will. Nor RAM, nor a hard drive (if you do a proper drive-to-drive copy and keep the current installation valid), nor any other piece of hardware.

But if the mobo fries, that's basically Microsoft's only acceptable reason for issuing a new OEM/System Builder key, so that means some deception is going to have to take place for any other excuse to get a new key for a new install.

'Nuff typed.

Would Microsoft ask for actual proof that the MOBO really did fry or would they just say "OK! Here is your new KEY, etc."?

Constantine

Would Microsoft ask for actual proof that the MOBO really did fry or would they just say "OK! Here is your new KEY, etc."?

Constantine

they wont ask for proof, but they will ask if you're using this copy on another computer at the time and you would obviously say no, then the tech will give you your new activation key. then if you ever reformat again you wont have to call again because it will be tied to that hardware and you can just activate by internet like usual.

that answer your question?

Yes that answers my question perfectly, thank you. If what you say is 100% true and they won't ask for proof, I might just get the Vista Ultimate OEM. I do not think I will be replacing the new MOBO Rig I will be building soon, but it will be a 680i or maybe the LT version.

I found the sticky about FAQs on licensing and I found out most of the information I needed to know. If I read it right, I do not think they will need me to acquire a new key if I just change the Video Card or install a new sound card.

I am thinking of just installing the x86 version first then x64 later for when the 64-bit programs come out. I understand the Vista Ultimate OEM only comes as either x86 or x64, will I be able to acquire the x64 version later by ordering it from Microsoft at the cost of S&H I believe, or will I be stuck with the x86 without the possibility of reinstalling the x64 version in the same machine? I don't believe this question was answered in the sticky.

Thank you very much,

Constantine

Correct: you have the option of buying the 32 bit OEM version of Vista (whatever edition you choose) or the 64 bit OEM version of Vista (whatever edition you choose). You don't get both at the same time; to do that you'd have to buy either the Retail Box Full version or the Retail Box Upgrade version of Vista Ultimate only - no other editions offer that option.

Those boxed products of Ultimate have both installer DVDs in the box: 32 and 64 bit.

I got the part about only receiving ONE DVD from the Vista Ultimate OEM and the Vista Ultimate Retail having both DVDs, but my question was whether I would have the option of acquiring the Vista Ultimate OEM x64 version through Microsoft and having just to pay the S&H if I did purchase the Vista Ultimate OEM x86. I need to know this because I would like to upgrade to a x64 OS, when the 64-bit Softwares start coming out, without having to purchase a Vista Ultimate OEM x64 version at full price.

I would like to use the x86 OS version first until 64-bit softwares begin to come out, then eventually change it to a x64 OS. (I restated what I stated above for clarification just in case someone doesn't get it)

Constantine

Waiting for "64 bit softwares" is a bit counterproductive - the OS is 64 bit software (as long as you have a 64 bit processor and a 64 bit OS, that is) and so that's where you start. Waiting is pointless if you have a 64 bit ready machine right now sooo...

The simple answer is: yes you can order the 64 bit version of whatever Vista edition you choose at a later time from Microsoft for shipping and handling which works out to about $10 USD.

Why people take that concept of "I'll wait till 64 bit stuff comes out" just leaves me stupified sometimes...

Besides: once you install the 32 bit version of whatever edition you have and activate it, you're still going to need another key from Microsoft to install the 64 bit version, so why not just get the 64 bit version of Vista to start with? It's less hassle in the long run, and you're ahead of the curve by doing so.

The key for the 32 bit version is valid for the 64 bit version, yes, but you can only ACTIVATE that key one single time - so later on when you acquire the 64 bit version you can't use that key. You'll still end up contacting Microsoft for another key, so it's just more hassle for you and for Microsoft.

If your intention is to be running the 64 bit version of Vista Ultimate, buy that, now, and then you're covered.

The reason being I want to wait until the x64 softwares come out is that I've heard/read plenty of problems regarding the x64 Drivers of the current hardwares. Some companies do not support x64 Drivers yet and it is a big problem if it isn't obvious enough. I am not sure if they have resolved this issue, so please clarify.

One example is LINKSYS, I have read that LINKSYS will not be supporting x64 Drivers. I am not sure if this is indefinitely or just for the time being. The reason I brought this example up is because of this: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1174883

If someone can please tell me that the x64 Drivers out there are supported on most hardwares, then I will definitely purchase the x64 Version, but until then I think I will use the x86 Version.

What do you think?

Constantine

I think if you want to know if your hardware is supported you'd need to tell us specifics. The CPU, RAM, hard drive, etc... those items are a given. What's not a given would be very specific components like the NIC (network card/device) you have in that machine, the sound card (a real card or onboard), video card (brand and model), etc.

The overwhelming majority of hardware that's been made in roughly the past two years will have support, especially if it's made by brand name reputable companies. Just because Linksys doesn't want to provide 64 bit drivers for whatever piece(s) of hardware you happen to own by them doesn't stop you from going out and replacing it with products from a company that does.

My belief is this: we're moving to a 64 bit architecture overall. If a company wants to lag behind and stay in the 32 bit world, I won't spend another dime on their products. Either support what I want in my PC or I'll give my money to some other company that does - it's about that simple.

So provide a list of the hardware you have and work from there...

The Rig that I will be building in the future will be something like this:

E6600 C2D
eVGA 680i SLI
BFG 8800 GTX
750W Power Supply
74GB WD Raptor 10k RPM
G.Skill 2 x 1GB PC2-6400
SAMSUNG DVD Burner
Gateway FPD2275W
iCEMAT Headset
Windows Vista Ultimate OEM (Hopefully x64 and OEM)
NOD32 Anti-Virus
Logitech G5 Mouse
SAITEK Keyboard
Unsure yet of which Wireless Card/Adapter will pick from one of these SELECTIONS

I will be running CRYSIS at 1680 x 1050 resolution and at almost HIGH settings, so I might consider a 2nd BFG 8800 GTX when the game comes out. I might also consider adding another 2 x 1GB of G.Skill Memory.

I think thats the gist of it. Is there anything else I am missing?

What do you think?

Constantine

sounds good to me...but you could also get Avast anti-virus for free instead of spending money on NOD32...though NOD32 is pretty good. www.avast.com

btw, are you just gonna use that machine for gaming?

Looks ok to me, I don't see anything that should cause issues or problems in any way. Sheesh, the money people spend on a PC for playing games... I tell ya. ;)

Looks ok to me, I don't see anything that should cause issues or problems in any way. Sheesh, the money people spend on a PC for playing games... I tell ya. ;)

if i had the money.......lol

i try and live with what i can. which right now, is a lot better than what i've EVER had. I remember when having a P3 733 and a GeForce 2 MX was nice enough lol. I've basically spoiled myself lately.

I see people all the time forking over $4000-6000 or more for something from Falcon Northwest or Alienware or VoodooPC and I tell 'em flat out: "I can do the same box, for a helluva lot less money, and support it right here in town since you live <xx> miles away, and it'll be 25% faster across the board..." and they laugh and place the order.

I swear... if I had a nickle for everytime that happened, I could buy one of the very machines I'm trying to keep them from wasting so much money on. :)

</off_topic>

I am not just going to use this machine for gaming. I will also use it for school work and work. I also like to watch movies, so I will consider sticking a Blu-Ray / HD-DVD Drive in it if possible, but my priority is getting this machine for CRYSIS. I expect big things from that game and I would like to take advantage of it.

I also play EvE-Online. It is a Space MMORPG and it is quite fun and complicated; with much more mature players than other MMORPGs, *cough* WoW *cough* :p . Eve is about to upgrade their Trinity Engine along with the graphics for DX10 / Vista. I figure I will need a new Rig anyway, why not make it CRYSIS capable.

It seems like it got a positive view from you guys. How do you think can I improve that RIG without making it too expensive? Do you have any tips on saving some money? That would be nice, hehe.

I would like it very much if you guys would look at my other thread, this thread:

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1174883

I would greatly appreciate it if I could get some answers on my question there.

Thank you very much for your responses,

Constantine

You have some nice suggestions, I'll look into them.

But as for the PS, I think I'd need a little more than 600W for a SLI 8800 GTX don't you think?

For the HD, I am looking for a fast response time HD for faster load times. I thought about the 15,000 RPM but the noise and heat might be a bit too much, as well as for the price itself.

For the DVD burner, I wanted a SATA Drive. I'd like to not use the IDE port as much as possible, and SATA is faster anyways.

For the Widescreen, I already own the Gateway FPD22. I bought it on Black Friday, although it had no discount nor it wasn't on sale; but I don't regret buying it as it is great for gaming, normal, computer use, or movies. I suggest people get this LCD.

For the OS, I think I'm sticking with the Vista Ultimate because it has all the features that I need. The Vista Home Premium and Business does not have each other's features although they are cheaper.

I have nothing against free Anti-Virus softwares, but I feel that they don't provide enough security like paid AV softwares. Or else why would they be free in the first place? I have Norton Systemworks atm and it is way too intrusive. Too many background programs running and takes up too much ram and cpu IMO.

As for the card, I will look into. It looks like it might work. I'd like to do some more research on it. Can anyone recommend another option?

Thank you for your suggestions, will make it easier to search for more options,

Constantine

If he wants a fast hard drive, not buying at least one Raptor - preferably the 150GB version - is a mistake. That's my opinion and I'm stickin' to it. WD drives or Seagates for extra storage, but even a RAID isn't going to really outperform that Raptor overall - in some specific situations, sure, but I'd still go for the Raptor 150GB myself.

I'd choose Power PC & Cooling myself for a power supply; they're the only ones I've ever recommended and the only ones I buy - and I've never had one fail, ever.

Vista Ultimate OEM, go for it. But pick 32 bit or 64 bit and stick with it, don't get all flippy floppy and decide 3 months later you want the 64 bit after choosing the 32 bit. Right now I don't see anything there that should have issues with Vista Ultimate 64 bit, not one.

I'm kinda lost on the wireless card thing though. If you absolutely must have one, I guess the one markt435 recommended is a good one, no idea. I'd find a way to keep it hardlined myself but I understand some people just can't or don't want cables running all over the place.

NOD32, ftw, always. :)

Not much else to comment on, should be a nice machine I guess. But wait for the price cuts and new CPUs in the coming weeks. Get more power for about the same price or less.

Back