Vista on HTPC?

HurtMeP1nty007

Limp Gawd
I was thinking about putting Vista Beta 2 on my htpc machine. Has anyone tried this yet?

Here is the current machine that I am thinking about putting Vista on. Let me know what you think.
Athlon 2800+
1gig ram
nvidia mobo (forgot which one)
nvidia 6600gt
SoundBlaster Audigy
300gig maxtor hd

jebo_4jc

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - April 2011
Shouldn't cause a problem. Driver support is an issue, but you don't even have any tuners to find drivers for, so I wouldn't anticipate problems. What do you use for a frontend?

SJetski71

[H]F Junkie
Vista is reported to be a huge memory hog, with rigs needing upwards of 2gigs of ram to operate at full speed.

There may be a way of tweaking Vista's mem usage but i haven't researched the topic enough...

JonDoms

Gawd
Yea I installed vista on the following system and it sucks up memory.
I'm looking to adding in a few things and have a few things on order.
So far I like it and I can't wait to get the Media Center portion of it up and running.
Does anyone know which PVR cards are currently supported?
I tried google and searches on M$ no luck.

Athlon 64 3200+
MSI 6150 Mobo with video.
Only 512MB of ram for now.
74GB raptor 8MB.
(2) 250 WD2500KS 16MB.

Already ordered a 7900GT and a Powercolor T55E PCI-E ATI55 card.
Swapping in 2GB of memory tonight from another computer.

R1ckCa1n

Supreme [H]ardness
I can tell you my ATI 550 Pro based capture card and ATI HDWonder do not work very well. Tons of studdering and audio loss. This is a an A64 3200+ and 2Gigs of ram.

Keetha

Limp Gawd
I will be installing Vista on my older HTPC tomorrow on it's second hard drive. I'll post here and let you guys kno what ahppens with me. It's gonna be brutal lol... 1.8ghz AMD XP, 512mb pc2100, 20gb hdd, Radeon 9100.

turtletrax

Limp Gawd
I was thinking of putting it on my HTPC but I dont think Nvidia has 64bit drivers for the DualTV MCE.

I put Beta 2 on my main rig on a spare HD and it wouldnt work with ANY overclock and had to pump voltage to my RAM in a big way. Tried a couple of things and it just borked my install. Weird thing is that it would say that it was a porblem with the boot drive and would go no further with a OC.

Gonna try again on the weekend.

mohammedtaha

2[H]4U
R1ckCa1n said:
I can tell you my ATI 550 Pro based capture card and ATI HDWonder do not work very well. Tons of studdering and audio loss. This is a an A64 3200+ and 2Gigs of ram.

My 550 pro worked fine... however ... it didn't run for long before it would freeze the computer. I wouldn't advise Vista Media Center yet ...

dawtips

Limp Gawd
mohammedtaha said:
My 550 pro worked fine... however ... it didn't run for long before it would freeze the computer. I wouldn't advise Vista Media Center yet ...

ya i had similar issues with my Nvidia dualtv tuner and vista

Keetha

Limp Gawd
turtletrax said:
I put Beta 2 on my main rig on a spare HD and it wouldnt work with ANY overclock and had to pump voltage to my RAM in a big way. Tried a couple of things and it just borked my install. Weird thing is that it would say that it was a porblem with the boot drive and would go no further with a OC.

Just to let you all know my experience with this... My OCs work fine. I run vista on my main rig a lot.

turtletrax

Limp Gawd
Keetha said:
Just to let you all know my experience with this... My OCs work fine. I run vista on my main rig a lot.

I didnt spend much time at all with my memory settings at all. Also using a 64bit OS makes OCing a whole different ball game. I will mess with it more on the weekend. Putting it on my HTPC and it wouldnt go on it either with an aggressive OC. Trying at 2.6Ghz...

On another note.... Got to drive a 700Bhp $700,000 Ferrarri F430 Spyder twin supercharged convertable today:eek:

It was everything I hoped and a shit-pot more. A family freind had it shipped from Dubai last month. I took it major easy because I dont have $700,000 on me, so I let him bag it for me. :D :D

LittleMe

2[H]4U
I had Vista on mine for a bit, using a WinTV-PVR-500 MCE card. It worked fine for a bit but would freeze or get choppy after a while and would require a restart. Might be better in Beta 2, but this wasn't that many builds ago.