Vista Multi monitor use

Wolf-R1

[H]ard|Gawd
Does anyone know of a way to use different backgrounds on Vista other than something like Ultramon? I really don't feel like paying for a piece of buggy software. Alternatively does anyone know of an Open Source software that does the same thing?

Use a program like GIMP( it's free and open source) to put two images together. Then just choose the tile option in Vista and it will display a different picture on each desktop.

Thanks for the help. No I don't want to have to edit a friggen image each time I want to use it. Thanks for that option anyway.

You will if your using 3 monitors and your main monitor is the center one. :(

THANK YOU for stating this. This is 100% true. With Vista, if you have an screen to the LEFT of your primary monitor, there is a bug in which wallpapers are not displayed properly, and the wrong wallpaper shows through the taskbar. The ONLY way around this is to enable auto-hide on the main Windows taskbar. This will solve the bug, but I like to have my taskbar open at all times, dammit.:(

I have spoken to a number of developers of multi-monitor software, including Ultramon, Display Fusion, and they all agree that the problem is with Vista, not any of the multi-monitor software. I can partially reproduce the problem without using any 3rd party software.

This has forced me to use a single wallpaper for both monitors. I have no choice; otherwise, it'll be screwed up.

THANK YOU for stating this. This is 100% true. With Vista, if you have an screen to the LEFT of your primary monitor, there is a bug in which wallpapers are not displayed properly, and the wrong wallpaper shows through the taskbar. The ONLY way around this is to enable auto-hide on the main Windows taskbar. This will solve the bug, but I like to have my taskbar open at all times, dammit.:(

Odd. I only have 2 monitors with vista (primary on the right), and I have no problem using wallpapers with display fusion. Windows won't do it correctly, and ultamon won't work, but display fusion works just fine.

Odd. I only have 2 monitors with vista (primary on the right), and I have no problem using wallpapers with display fusion. Windows won't do it correctly, and ultamon won't work, but display fusion works just fine.

Really??? And you're using Aero theme? Screenshot please. I've been looking for a fix, and have not come across one yet.

For reference, here is my screenie:

Bottom right of entire screenshot. See the grass through the taskbar? It's supposed to show through the ENTIRE taskbar, not just the bottom right. Now, look at the Ultramon Smart Taskbar on the left. Notice something wrong? It's showing the bottom of the RIGHT SCREEN WALLPAPER (notice the green grass color).

This is what I'm talking about. It does this no matter what drivers I use, no matter what program I use for dual-wallpaper, and no matter what options I set. Ultramon or not, this problem exists.

My thread for reference:

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1318252

Really??? And you're using Aero theme? Screenshot please. I've been looking for a fix, and have not come across one yet.

Bottom right of entire screenshot. See the grass through the taskbar? It's supposed to show through the ENTIRE taskbar, not just the bottom right. Now, look at the Ultramon Smart Taskbar on the left. Notice something wrong? It's showing the bottom of the RIGHT SCREEN WALLPAPER (notice the green grass color).

This is what I'm talking about. It does this no matter what drivers I use, no matter what program I use for dual-wallpaper, and no matter what options I set. Ultramon or not, this problem exists.

My thread for reference:

Whats that tab dock in your screenshot?

I have spoken to a number of developers of multi-monitor software, including Ultramon, Display Fusion, and they all agree that the problem is with Vista, not any of the multi-monitor software. I can partially reproduce the problem without using any 3rd party software.

This has forced me to use a single wallpaper for both monitors. I have no choice; otherwise, it'll be screwed up.

I've never had this issue, been using vista and ultramon since day 1
I've also never seen this issue one any of the other multiple Vista/Ultramon installation i've done for clients

Wallpaper_July.jpg

edit: The issue you are describing I also do not have a problem with even when using Aero, I will post an example shot when I get home from work

My thread for reference:

I know I'm not in the norm of computer use. this can been seen by my taskbar being on the upper portion of my screen. so with that in mind have you tried moving the taskbar elsewhere and see if it still happens?

I've never had this issue, been using vista and ultramon since day 1
I've also never seen this issue one any of the other multiple Vista/Ultramon installation i've done for clients

http://namtaru.com/uploads/2008/Wallpaper_July.jpg

edit: The issue you are describing I also do not have a problem with even when using Aero, I will post an example shot when I get home from work

Firstly, kickass desktop wallpapers. Seriously. ZR1 FTMFW.

Second, I'd absolutely love to see your results. I was about to say that you don't have Aero enabled, but then you said that you still don't have that issue with Aero. The only possible thing I can think of is the fact that you have monitors AND wallpapers that are the same resolution. But at any rate, I look forward to your results.

Edit: Do me a favor. Also, try RAISING your main taskbar like I do in my screenshot. Then tell me whether or not you have the problem.

I know I'm not in the norm of computer use. this can been seen by my taskbar being on the upper portion of my screen. so with that in mind have you tried moving the taskbar elsewhere and see if it still happens?

Yes, I tried moving the taskbar around to no avail. Bottom top, left right, it doesn't matter. The wallpaper keeps getting screwed no matter what.

I just use a super wide wallpaper for my 3monitor setup I have at home.

I just tried it again using ALL combinations of software and settings I possibly know, and the bug exists no matter what.

Bump. I'm eager to see some more screenshots.

In the meantime, I built 3 totally different types of computers, and tried them on ALL. The bug exists no matter what, if a screen is to the left of the primary.

There's probably only one thing that MIGHT be a factor. AMD T-type, are your screens "Vista certified"?

More info on it being a Vista bug:

http://www.realtimesoft.com/multimon/forum/messages.asp?Topic=8055&tmpl=
http://www.realtimesoft.com/multimon/forum/messages.asp?Topic=8102&tmpl=UltraMon
http://www.realtimesoft.com/multimon/forum/messages.asp?Topic=8156&tmpl=UltraMon

Back