Vista MCE not taking focus

I have Vista MCE and sometime when I launch it via the remote or even sometimes the icon, the program fails to take focus. It's maximized but the task bar is showing and the colors are kind of off. I then have to grab the mouse and click somewhere in the window to get it to take focus. Very annoying to say the least. The even more annoying thing that I'm finding is when I listen to music, after a while MCE will lose focus again and the taskbar shows up again with off colors. Any idea as to what's going on here?

Another thing, when I launch the Sports Channel I just get the background of MCE showing up (the blue energy wave thing) with no content. Works fine on my laptop but not on my htpc.

i have always had this intermittent problem with VMC(your first post, i never tried accessing the sports channel), and the only solution i ever found was to use Windows 7 instead. I know it's not that helpful, sorry.

i have always had this intermittent problem with VMC(your first post, i never tried accessing the sports channel), and the only solution i ever found was to use Windows 7 instead. I know it's not that helpful, sorry.

That's actually the best answer to give right now for certain issues that are only "VIsta" related. I'd wager dollars to donuts that this dude has Win update set to "auto" and it installed some update that broke VMC. I know. I've had those kinds of issues for the last year because I stupidly decided to install a major Vista update and all it did was bork my system.

I got feed up with it and installed Win7 and it's like I had come over that mountain top and seen the promise land after years, YEARS of wandering in the dessert.

Did you select the 'always on top' in the media center startup/behavior options? That's how I solved that problem in VMC on my HTPC.

I do have windows updates set to auto and I have enabled the mce to be always on top check box. I'll have to check what updates I have installed and maybe uninstall one at a time to find the culprit.

Back