Vista is slow!

taylorwilsdon

2[H]4U
I had never realized this. Seriously, the last time I used vista is with my home theater pc and its very well endowed, so I guess it never hiccuped with vista. I just got a new sony laptop that came pre-loaded with vista and even after removing the crapware, its still sluggish at best.

I've come from 2 years of Mac only but they couldn't produce a good 13 incher so I went back to sony. I would have gotten a M1330 if I could get my hands on one but I went with the sony SZ instead.

Its no slouch, either, its got the santa rosa 2.2ghz core 2 duo, 4gb ram, 8400m gs dedicated video, 160gb hd - but holy crap, vista falls behind.

What tricks can I use to speed things up? I'd like to try vista a little longer because all the drivers are set for vista and XP seems like a downgrade even if the speed is improved.

try doing a clean install....made a world of difference on my Vista laptop even though I had tried removing the crapware before. Also if you can do a clean install and install the drivers and such on your own. Many times the restores are not really like a clean install.

try doing a clean install....made a world of difference on my Vista laptop even though I had tried removing the crapware before. Also if you can do a clean install and install the drivers and such on your own. Many times the restores are not really like a clean install.

No discs were included. If I feel up to it I'll pirate whatever the appropriate discs are, but Sony doesn't feel the need to include OS cd's with a $2500 laptop. Go figure.

how long have you had it? the (not readyboost, but the other memory system in vista) helps a ton once it has time to caliberate to your work patterns.

i ended up upgrading the HD and installed XP pro instead on my dell

how long have you had it? the (not readyboost, but the other memory system in vista) helps a ton once it has time to caliberate to your work patterns.

At the time of posting, roughly two hours. Now that EVERYTHING is off and its been restarted a couple times, it feels alot faster but its still not quite there.

At the time of posting, roughly two hours. Now that EVERYTHING is off and its been restarted a couple times, it feels alot faster but its still not quite there.
I think its called superfetch. It preloads your typical apps into ram so its nearly instant (no load time) for the stuff loaded. And theres almost no penalty for stuff not loaded either.

Wouldn't know, Ive been running on 1GB of ram for a while and its felt plenty snappy.

I think its called superfetch. It preloads your typical apps into ram so its nearly instant (no load time) for the stuff loaded. And theres almost no penalty for stuff not loaded either.

Wouldn't know, Ive been running on 1GB of ram for a while and its felt plenty snappy.

I think the biggest culprit is that this thing came with SO MUCH crap preloaded. Antivirus, two ISPS, like ten games, all sorts of wallpapers, a music and video production suite, five different pointless utilities, spiderman wallpapers and screensavers.

Holy god.
It was running like 125 processes when I turned it on.

msconfig sir, cut down all the shit you don't need when it starts up. services and startup programs.

I took off what I thought to be the nonessential pieces and now the FN keys don't want to work. All the sony services are active, I'm not sure what the problem is.

don't disable the keyboard and touchpad services.

How many processes did you cut it down to? You can probably disable all the sony services as they're most likely BS. But what exactly is slow about it? opening programs, just in general, is your cpu reading maxed out? have you made sure windows is up to date?

I just bought a Toshiba Satellite for $349 and Vista was pretty fast to begin with. Once I unloaded all the crap it came with and updated the drivers, it gave it a nice boost. Then I upgraded from 512MB to 2GB of RAM and that seems to have made a huge difference, It's definately faster than my desktop.

Forgot to say, did you get a Anytime upgrade disc for Vista (you should have...)?

It is just a windows vista cd you can use to reinstall...BUT do not do this without knowing how to reinstall....the COA on the bottom of the laptop probably will not work with it and you will be SOL.

You need to follow one of the guides like this one:
http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=120228

You have to copy the license files off and get your true CD-Key BEFORE you start the reinstall process.

I had never realized this. Seriously, the last time I used vista is with my home theater pc and its very well endowed, so I guess it never hiccuped with vista. I just got a new sony laptop that came pre-loaded with vista and even after removing the crapware, its still sluggish at best.

I've come from 2 years of Mac only but they couldn't produce a good 13 incher so I went back to sony. I would have gotten a M1330 if I could get my hands on one but I went with the sony SZ instead.

Its no slouch, either, its got the santa rosa 2.2ghz core 2 duo, 4gb ram, 8400m gs dedicated video, 160gb hd - but holy crap, vista falls behind.

What tricks can I use to speed things up? I'd like to try vista a little longer because all the drivers are set for vista and XP seems like a downgrade even if the speed is improved.

Try use PC Decrapifier link at http://www.pcdecrapifier.com/ does remove junkware.

Try use Tweak services down to around 45 to 60 processes for you link at http://www.blackviper.com/index.html

My running now 38 with networking, chat, webcam etc...For gaming does to 28 to 30.

My laptop Everex xt5000t come with vista cd too also only clean install os, dvd player, and antivirus nothing else.

I removed Norton anti-virus, install free AVG :)

phatbx133

what version of vista

running home premium on my macbook black, 1g ram, core 2 duo 2ghz and it runs fine...?

Norton is HUGE bloatware. Personally I use Avast, it works perfectly with none of the bloatware issues.

i found Avast to be bloated and slow too, it runs about 6 .exe's for each system it has in place, slow to scan and just bulky.......

it seems there is no perfect AV these days (and dont jump and say NOD32 either)

i found Avast to be bloated and slow too, it runs about 6 .exe's for each system it has in place, slow to scan and just bulky.......

it seems there is no perfect AV these days (and dont jump and say NOD32 either)

lol

Back