Vista is Excellent

Status
Not open for further replies.

CodeX

2[H]4U
Just bought a new laptop, has vista on it, my first experience with it. After tweaking it the way I want it the only difference I see between it and the XP Pro running on my gaming rig is that it has much better memory management. Recently used programs are obviously being cached in ram because they start almost instantly now, I am so glad my memory isn't being wasted anymore, which is awesome on a laptop with their slow ass 5400 rpm HDD's

Just thought i would post this as a counterpoint to that retarted "vista is terrible" thread.

Well after serious speculation and bad previous posting on my part followed by the serious slap on the wrist by Dan_d I can say without a doubt that its undubiously the wierdest idea ever. Top that off with the random quote about 50billion results from google, and the obvious crap review from !@#$%^.com and flame retardant material.

In conclusion I dunno........

Just bought a new laptop, has vista on it, my first experience with it. After tweaking it the way I want it the only difference I see between it and the XP Pro running on my gaming rig is that it has much better memory management. Recently used programs are obviously being cached in ram because they start almost instantly now, I am so glad my memory isn't being wasted anymore, which is awesome on a laptop with their slow ass 5400 rpm HDD's

Just thought i would post this as a counterpoint to that retarted "vista is terrible" thread.

I'd like to hear what you tweaked if you don't mind. I agree, Vista is a good OS, but it is not without it's quirks, and neither was XP on launch.

Most of the issues I have with Vista to date are with drivers, which is not MSFT's fault.

Anyway, did you disable UAC or tweak it at all? Has it learned your behavior well enough not to bug you, or did it just not bug you personally from the get go?

I like Vista too. After I turned off UAC. I run my htpc on Vista and Mediaportal, together with NOD32. Do some occasional gaming as well. Its way better than XP in the way it responds. But I gave up on XP several years ago and went over to Windows Server 2003 at launch and my opinion is that Win2003 is still the best OS around, even for desktopwork. I've come to realise that the biggest flaw with Vista is that its not very userfriendly if you have a low resolution, say 1280x720/768/800/1024. Its definaltley worth to have at least 1680x1050 to be able to enjoy Vista to its full potential.

But I read somebody here who knows someone who read on another board that Vista doesn't work. That's good enough to make me repeat the warning against using Vista. :cool:

BTW, i'm not very bright.

I'd like to hear what you tweaked if you don't mind. I agree, Vista is a good OS, but it is not without it's quirks, and neither was XP on launch.

Most of the issues I have with Vista to date are with drivers, which is not MSFT's fault.

Anyway, did you disable UAC or tweak it at all? Has it learned your behavior well enough not to bug you, or did it just not bug you personally from the get go?

i disabled it because after a couple weeks it was still asking if it should allow programs i had clicked on many many times.....enough already....yes dammit, run the program......thats my only gripe actually, drivers have been fine on all my hardware and thats in x64 Ultimate, x86 should be even better if history holds true, 64bit OS'es have always lacked the driver support 32 bit OS'es have gotten early

I only have Vista and server 2003 boxes at this point. While XP was very good, there's enough in Vista to keep me from going back!

While XP was very good, there's enough in Vista to keep me from going back!

That sums up my experience with it. It's far from perfect, but neither was XP. SP3 might make it worth trying XP again, dunno. That or Debian.

People are making too much of big deal about Vista. Turn off some of the frill features, and it speeds up pretty well. I remember XP wasn't a walk in the park for my rig when it first came out. So I turned off the colorful window's themes, and all got better very quickly.

So why get it? Cause it's gonna be the OS that MS and other developers support the most. After SP3, I don't expect much from MS on XP.

I just made a new core 2 quad 6600 system and so far I haven't had any problems with Vista Home Premium x64. I had to buy two more gigabytes of ram 'cause folding@home SMP and anything else at the same time didn't really work with 2 gigs. Other then that I like it.

UAC went down in flames about an hour after I installed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back