Vista is a sick, sick joke

this is my first custom pc, and i was expecting it to be the shit

no one on this site has helped me with OCing, but i was planning on asking again later

but as of latley, im really bent up on how slow this damn thing runs

i oced to 2.45 on 1.2v and the shit fails occt in like 5 mins for whatever reason....memory is 5-5-5-12 at 1050mhz i think

but regardless, stock, this thing runs slower than a computer my friend built 4 years ago, what the fuck is up with that (AMD's Athlon 64 3000, corsair 1gb, basically a cheap ass build)

and the worst part about it is i used vlite vista and stripped the hell out of it, yet youtube runs just as slow if not slower than the dell vostro 200 i have

im seriously starting to think vista is straight trash of the highest order and that i have to go back to xp

tell me, i am not going crazy, cause right now, i am pissed

I'm pissed too, but I doubt you'd understand why. :D

No offense - HA! - but this just has "Troll Supreme" written all over it. You're overclocking, that's the first negative, then there's the other issues too like gutting it with vLite and expecting it to actually be "normal" - and you have no idea what that probably means with Vista either.

I can't really believe this is a serious attempt at asking for assistance, sorry.

I'm pretty sure everyone i've ever talked to about memory for Vista has said to run a decent system you need 2 Gb, but what do i know

vlite has been known to trash Vista. There are a lot of things that are dependant on one another to run right. However, with Youtube being a flash based site, it's probably more your video driver's fault then Vista's (assuming you didn't fuck the install up).

Maybe you should have spent a little bit more money on your ISP that is the most important hardware for youtube.

and the worst part about it is i used vlite vista and stripped the hell out of it, yet youtube runs just as slow if not slower than the dell vostro 200 i have

Try installing a non-stripped version of Vista. Your anger isn't too valid since you may have stripped the OS of vital or essential programs, modules, etc. So try doing that.

Also, up the voltage on the CPU if it fails OCCT. Simple as that. In fact what CPU, motherboard and RAM are you trying to OC with?

Also, you could try using the search feature of this forums. There's a ton of threads out there about how to OC a C2D CPU. It ain't that hard to find at least one thread with all of the neccessary steps.

no i stripped only the useless useless stuff, for example printers i dont use, i didnt remove the vitals of the vista...i havent encountered a problem yet showing that i removed something i shouldnt of

i could understand where you are all coming from and that i sound ridiculous, but i am really frustrated with this computer right now and why it is runnning so slow

thx for the occt tip

im dead serious when i say this computer is slower than my friends...i dont want to believe that vista is useless, but no way in hell should a computer with 4-5yr old tech that is stock outperform mine

no i stripped only the useless useless stuff, for example printers i dont use, i didnt remove the vitals of the vista...i havent encountered a problem yet showing that i removed something i shouldnt of

i could understand where you are all coming from and that i sound ridiculous, but i am really frustrated with this computer right now and why it is runnning so slow

thx for the occt tip

im dead serious when i say this computer is slower than my friends...i dont want to believe that vista is useless, but no way in hell should a computer with 4-5yr old tech that is stock outperform mine

So what exactly did you remove? Could it be that you don't have all your drivers installed? (not from teh manufacturer's CD's either) Is it possible that your CPU is running hot and throttle back? What kind of internet connection do you have?

incase you cant see my sig here are my specs

Case: Rosewill R330-P-BK//////////////Cooling: 3 Panaflo 80mmx25mm Ultra High FBA08A12U1BX @ 46.9 CFM (Rear Exhaust, Front Intake, Side Air Duct Intake)//////////////CPU: Lapped E6320 w/ Lapped E6850 Heatsink and Fan//////////////Mobo: Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L w/Delta FFB0412VHN 40mmx28mm on NB @15.79 CFM //////////////PSU: 500W Antec Earthwatts//////////////RAM: 8GB OCZ Reaper HPC CL4 PC-6400//////////////GPU: XFX Gefore 8800 GTS 320MB w/ Lapped Thermalright HR-03 Plus + Panaflo 92mmx25mm FBA09A12H1BX @ 56.8 CFM//////////////HDD: Dinosaur Shit Dell Vostro 200 80GB Pull//////////////Optical: Sony NEC Optiarc Combo CD-R/CD-RW/DVD-ROM Drive//////////////OS: Vista Ultimate x64

Still, do a complete install anyway with a non-stripped Vista. This rules out any problem associated with the stripping.

Read this guide on how to OC with Gigabyte motherboards:
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1169366

im running dsl

i have updated all drivers on all of the hardware

and i will tell you what i removed exactly in a min

im running dsl

i have updated all drivers on all of the hardware

and i will tell you what i removed exactly in a min

Perhaps you stripped out something you shouldn't have, that would be my guess. I've been a user of vLite since before nuhi even tossed out the first "public" alpha and along the way I've seen people trash countless machines and blank discs and doing stuff that's better left alone.

It wouldn't kill you to just install Vista x64 nice and clean, unmodified, unhacked, unstripped, and see what happens. I'm not sure about the hardware in your sig, but you have all that tied to a low end 80GB old ass hard drive? Or is all that excessive info and //////////// marks just making it too freakin' hard to read that crap? :)

thx for the reccomendations guys

im going to see what it can do

and yes i do it all tied to that shitty 80 gb hard drive

and your right, my sig is a lil excessive lol

Hmmm, custom version of Vista = fail? I'm not surprised.

vLite has led you astray. There are very good reasons not to use it, as your post demonstrates. :p

I'm not sure the DS3L can handle 4 double sided dimms which is probably what you are using for 8 gb

I'd try 2 sticks and see how it works

Like others said, you fucked something up. There is no way in hell a proper install of Vista on that rig is slower than a machine that has even slower hardware.

Install Vista FRESH, the way it's intended, until you learn more about it.

Stop blaming Vista for your fuckups.

I saw the first line of your OP when you said you expect your build to be badass then I read a few lines down and see you have a 3000 + 1 gig of ram.

Ever think that you're expecting to much from that?

Vista bogs down the computer a little bit but there's only so much we can blame on vista. Eventually the blame will fall on you for not taking the responsibility to check into how well your "future system" would have ran on vista before actually purchasing Vista/the system.

But if all else fails, why not just use XP.

I saw the first line of your OP when you said you expect your build to be badass then I read a few lines down and see you have a 3000 + 1 gig of ram.

Ever think that you're expecting to much from that?

Vista bogs down the computer a little bit but there's only so much we can blame on vista. Eventually the blame will fall on you for not taking the responsibility to check into how well your "future system" would have ran on vista before actually purchasing Vista/the system.

But if all else fails, why not just use XP.

You might want to re-read his post. His friend's rig is the 3000+ 1Gig system. His is in his sig.

Here's something that hasn't been asked yet: did you have a legit copy of Vista in the first place?

Also, are you aware that Vista is slow the first week or two as it "learns" what you do?

thx for the reccomendations guys

im going to see what it can do

and yes i do it all tied to that shitty 80 gb hard drive

and your right, my sig is a lil excessive lol

Dude, all that stuff, and a slow crappy 80gb drive? Get a new 500gb or even a 400gb, the drive density, not to mention the better tech, will give you a snappy boost....:p

^^^ yeah that. Ancient hard drives will slow down the fastest rig.

this is my first custom pc, and i was expecting it to be the shit

no one on this site has helped me with OCing, but i was planning on asking again later

but as of latley, im really bent up on how slow this damn thing runs

i oced to 2.45 on 1.2v and the shit fails occt in like 5 mins for whatever reason....memory is 5-5-5-12 at 1050mhz i think

but regardless, stock, this thing runs slower than a computer my friend built 4 years ago, what the fuck is up with that (AMD's Athlon 64 3000, corsair 1gb, basically a cheap ass build)

im seriously starting to think vista is straight trash of the highest order and that i have to go back to xp

tell me, i am not going crazy, cause right now, i am pissed
Your an idiot. First, you use Vista Lite which itself is a huge mistake. Your striping out critical system files for what, to save a few gb of HD space? I know HD space is so expensive, I paid 20 grand for a 10 mb disk just this morning!

Secondly, your OCing, and bitching about stuff not running right. You do realize that unless it's been tested to be stable over days, that a OC'ed cpu can cause things to crash in the system, on a whim. I've had problems with unstable OC's where stuff, including IE, acts horribly, on an unstable OC.

Quit blaming Vista, go to the bathroom, look in the mirror, and blame the dolt you see through that window.

I HATE Vista bashers!!!!!!

Something is wrong with your hardware setup, period. There is no reason why Vista should be running slow on your machine. Perhaps try running your hardware at spec and then slowly ramping things up until you find a god balance between speed and stability.

Either way, the operating system is not the problem here.

Wow, I generally dislike Vista and refuse to install it on my own machines (Why should I, I just got SP3!) but YOU, not Vista, have fucked something up.

no, it isnt a joke, just what you did is

(has vista running on work systems, with 512 of ram and 5 year old p4 2.4ghz [buiness edition] and they run fine.. and ultimateon one work rig and it is gRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRReat)

no joke, sorry.

i oced to 2.45 on 1.2v

i used vlite vista and stripped the hell out of it

Like others have said: those are your two main issues right there.
First step is stop overclocking. That's the first troubleshooting step to take if your system isn't running right.
Don't even attempt to start overclocking until you know Vista is running fine.

Like someone else said earlier, this is a great example of why vLite is a bad idea.

I personally use an OS like it was intended to. I don't strip it down, and I don't overclock my stuff... And guess what? I never have problems.
But on the other hand OC problems are all over the place.

no i stripped only the useless useless stuff, for example printers i dont use, i didnt remove the vitals of the vista...
A list.

It's my opinion along with everyone else's that you stripped something you shouldn't have.

Save us all some time... Reset your OC back to default settings. Install Vista without stripping it, and see what happens. It'll take you an hour.

Then try doing what you were seeing wasn't great on speed- don't start tweaking it (like your OC).

If you still have issues, post back.

i knew when I say this thread it was going to be a cluster fuck.............

i run 3.0Ghz on a 2.33 Ghz cpu on stock voltage absolutely no problems here

:p

I had the same problem when I tried to run a hacked copy of vista. It was slow as hell, I thought I was running my old P42.4 again. I just built a new quad core system with 4 gigs so I wasnt thrilled.

You might not like it, but the way I fixed it was:
1) retail copy. Sorry to say, this was #1 and it runs phenominally now
2) Installed the OS on my 74 GIG raptor, and everything else gets installed on my other drive
3) Immediately set the pagefile to 200MB and dont touch it after that

Doing these things, I have a lightning fast install. Ive put all my programs back on and its as snappy as day 1, and I think it will stay snappy forever.

The post above recommends limiting the page file (and I tend to agree), but for those running x64, do yourself a favor, get 8GB of ram (adata ram is now down to something like 10 or 15 dollars/GB) and set your page file to 0.

Unless you run programs that will actually use more than 8GB, you'll be glad you did.

I agree 100% with whoever said it takes a week or so for vista to get up to speed. When I first installed my current build (which is temporary), even the context menus were slow to come out (I was very concerned, since I didn't recall that issue with RC2 on a 2GB A64 3000+ system), but the problem disappeared very quickly and all is well. Vista 64 is my next task...well that and slipstreaming SP1....still can't believe MS didn't make it easier to do that :(

I actually have been super snappy from day 1 with my build. And Id reccomend leaving the 200MB page file, its what windows wants to record error data, and my rig runs better with a 200MB page file then 0.

The post above recommends limiting the page file (and I tend to agree), but for those running x64, do yourself a favor, get 8GB of ram (adata ram is now down to something like 10 or 15 dollars/GB) and set your page file to 0.
There's a huge thread you should read through about this. There is absolutely no reason or performance gain to be had by disabling the page file, or setting it to 0. Leave it alone.

Unless you run programs that will actually use more than 8GB, you'll be glad you did.

I agree 100% with whoever said it takes a week or so for vista to get up to speed. When I first installed my current build (which is temporary), even the context menus were slow to come out (I was very concerned, since I didn't recall that issue with RC2 on a 2GB A64 3000+ system), but the problem disappeared very quickly and all is well. Vista 64 is my next task...well that and slipstreaming SP1....still can't believe MS didn't make it easier to do that :(

It's not that hard to slipstream SP1. You can either use vLite (which given the problems in this thread I wouldn't recommend). Or you can use the reverse integration method. Basically you install Vista onto a blank partition that is NOT your boot partition. Then install SP1 and use imagex to creat a new install image for Vista's boot DVD.

:rolleyes: I'm the bad guy because retards use Vista Lite then complain about the system being unstable, and I tell it like it is and people don't like it. Whatever.

He's talking about how you called someone an idiot and yet mispelled "you're" doing it.

You already admitted you stripped the hell out of it in your op, there's your problem.
Also since no one asked, I hope you didn't overclock prior to installing the OS.

The only people who bitch about vista either
A) Are to cheap to upgrade
B) Can't build a solid PC
C) Still use shitty old parts

This sounds like B

Back